No announcement yet.

Which Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree tjat silencers aren't that great, but adding backpressure is not really a bad thing.
    Actuallly, if your engine doesn't have enough back pressure, it won't even run, although most stock car exhaust systems you can completely remove the muffler and it will be fine.
    It will shorten the life of the engine if you did that, but no one really cares, including myself.
    With less back pressure, generally there will be an increase in torque and horsepower, while allowing your engine to rev higher, and get there faster.
    But still, silencers suck, don't get them.

Comment

What about the two styles of RS*R exhausts? Anyone heard about the sound style of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Prince
        I agree tjat silencers aren't that great, but adding backpressure is not really a bad thing.
        The losses induced by a straight-through type silencer are very minimal, to the point where it shouldn't concern you. In exchange they take a lot of the "rasberry" out of your exhaust tone and reduce resonance, etc. Well worth it, really.

Actuallly, if your engine doesn't have enough back pressure, it won't even run, although most stock car exhaust systems you can completely remove the muffler and it will be fine.
        True and true...

It will shorten the life of the engine if you did that, but no one really cares, including myself.
        But false. The only way you will hurt an engine is if you run it with absolutely zero backpressure. You will be at risk of damaging the exhaust vaves as they slam shut with no resistance. If you ever run a motor with zero backpressure rev it up and as it comes down you will probalby be able to hear the valves slamming shut and then bouncing open/closed. Other then that there's not much you can hurt.

With less back pressure, generally there will be an increase in torque and horsepower, while allowing your engine to rev higher, and get there faster.
        But still, silencers suck, don't get them.
        Optimized back pressure and increased exhaust flow will increase horsepower and torque, but unless the only point of restriction for high rpm operation is the exhaust (and I really doubt it is) you will probably not make power all that much higher.

Comment

Working...
        X