No announcement yet.

signs of a bad drifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agreed..... i like intial D as entertainment, but i perfect my technique on the touge......and i get tips from Hyper Rev mag (yup, the JDM parts catalog)

OMFG!!!! today i found the most awsome touge in town....like 3 miles long, 2 lanes wide, and VERY uber tight turns...its insane!!!

Comment

Re: signs of a bad drifter

Originally posted by s0nny80y
      i think KT said that for the judging criteria, counter-steering while exiting a turn is the sign of a bad drifter. call me an extreme n00b, but Initial D said that you can tell the character of a drifter from the way there tail slides at an exit of a turn. to much fish tailing is an agressive driver or something and all the good stuff.
      i'm not a poser so i admit i'm a n00b, but to say im *Censored**Censored**Censored* (and with a bad connotation to those who are concered) which i'm not, is not mean, but immature

Comment

Iniital D is entertainment, But none the less its alot more realistic then something like fast and the furious.

I think you can judge a driver's skill by the angle the wheels are at when he comes out of a turn, Because its one of the hardest things to control perfectly the front wheels ending the slide. There location and direction will show how the car will behave, Forexample to far to one side and the car will swing around, beginners cause spins this way on accident, but a good driver could probably use it to initiate another drift. The smoothest drifts happen because the driver is on top of his wheel position and he moves his front wheels back in perfect sync with the rear wheels regainning grip, causing a beautiful smooth slide.

I dont know if thats what KT ment in the manga, but thats how i would judge it.

Comment

Re: signs of a bad drifter

Originally posted by s0nny80y
          i think KT said that for the judging criteria, counter-steering while exiting a turn is the sign of a bad drifter. call me an extreme n00b, but Initial D said that you can tell the character of a drifter from the way there tail slides at an exit of a turn. to much fish tailing is an agressive driver or something and all the good stuff.
          ok first of all,
          dont believe everything u c / here on INITIAL D - theres a reason why they are animated and not real

from what ive heard / experienced the main thing they focus on is control. if u can control a drift is good, if u can follow the drift through out the corner and onto the straight then that is good. the faster u enter / leave the better.... of course skill is required

Comment

DO IT!

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh Pearl, I see you play in my neck of the woods.......

Aside from the "Crest" and Sand canyon, you should try Spunky Canyon (connects Bouquet and San Francisquito). For pure, ball shriveling action......check out Westlake Village road (connects Westlake to PCH).

Or we can meet and drift West Bel Air

Comment

Originally posted by V8bosozoku
                Ahhhhhhhh Pearl, I see you play in my neck of the woods.......

Aside from the "Crest" and Sand canyon, you should try Spunky Canyon (connects Bouquet and San Francisquito). For pure, ball shriveling action......check out Westlake Village road (connects Westlake to PCH).

Or we can meet and drift West Bel Air
                heheh....we'll see. my motorcycle, which would've been my alternative ride to work once I sold the MR2, got stolen last weekend. So, my mustang project car is now on hold/hiatus till I can get enough saved up for a decent ride and parts enough to fix its initial problems.

I'll see you up at angeles sometime. hit me up over PM if you're gonna go up or e-mail me. I'd drive with ya.

Comment

Hmmmm, when I think of a bad drifter, I think of someone that continually exhibits no control in the same situations. Someone that you would feel unsafe riding with while they are drifting. To me, it dosnt really have much to do with how the drifts look from outside the car, but more to do with how much control the person has while drifting. Cuz even if the person's drifts didnt look too great, if they can prevent themselves from crashing when things dont go how they planned, then they have some ammount of control. I think the only time my theory does not apply is when people are experimenting with new tunes, techniques, or styles (unknown stuff is bound to happen). Other than that, if someone drifts the same track (or road) over and over and they continue to loose control over and over as in they are not learning from their mistakes, I would consider them a bad drifter. I've been in both situations where I'm the driver and I'm having a problem keeping control of the car, or I'm riding shotgun and I feel like I'm about to die. I think it just comes down to knowing the limits and staying within the limits. I remember once Matto took a ride with me in my Camaro and I was having a real hard time keeping control of my car. Just by looking at him, I could tell he was very unsure of my abilities and he thought he was going to die. After the event had ended and I had time to reflect, I realized that I was being a bad drifter, and I should not have done that to him. Instead of going crazy and trying crazy stuff, I should have just stayed within my limits and done what I knew would work (hell I even tried to do a 360 on the track). Bad CH bad!!!!

Comment

Lol a 360

Can I ride next time? It's like 6 Flags but free! lol

Comment

CH ya got a pretty good point. Everybody want's to push it that much harder when you're friends in the passenger's seat, then you screw up and wind up feeling like a total *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*.

Comment

im a newbie on drift, can anyone here give me some tips how to start out....lol...i own an integra right now...but im lookin at geting s14 soon...do i start out by using handbrake?? or wat?thkss

Comment

Just drift your integra....

Comment

hmm...."just drift integra"....yeh...but how u guys start out do u just start out like doing the handbrake or just went straight to drift on tha street? becuz my car is front weel drive and there would be too much of grip on the front tire and rear.

Comment

Learn the limits through grip. Once you know the grip behavior of the car, drift is easy. Just push the car and learn how it behaves at the edge. To start to drift, you just push it a touch more. It's very helpful to know what the car can do under grip and its behavior near loss of traction. This allows you to know how it feels and to get used to proper cornering speed. Start at constant speed cornering up to the limit of grip. Then start to play with throttle and braking during cornering. Work up to heavy throttle and braking and how they affect a car in the corner at the start, middle, and exit. Try to stay within the limits of grip. Especially under braking, you'll start to loosen up the rear end and get that sliding. When you do it properly, the rear should feel really loose and should almost skip a little. Any more will swing the rear end out. This is your grip braking limit. To drift, brake a little more or steer a little sharper.

With fwd, you'll need some good speed to drift a corner since you can't rely on throttle to drift like a rwd. In order to do this safely, you'll need to understand the grip limits of the car. That way you don't just fly into a corner and slide off the road.

Going a little slow isn't bad either, but you end up not drifting though the whole corner cause you'll end up pointing to the inside ditch or coming out of the drift on the inside of the turn on the exit. Both are safer than taking a corner too fast, but knowing the limit of the car will allow you to push the car faster while still staying safe.

I guess the biggest way people start is by playing with the hand brake. That will teach you how the car feels when the rear end gets loose, but it won't tell you the limits of the car. An open parking lot is a good open place to play around. Maybe go and buy some toy cones to practice going around. Maybe buy those foam floating things that the stores buy for water fun and use a bunch of them to make corners. Use your imagination and practice. Learn how steering, braking, and acceleration affects a drift. Learn different way to start a drift. E-brake is one, but there are others.

Play around and learn the car. My personal suggestion is to learn the car's limits under grip. This takes a little time, but you'll understand your car so much better. Some minor braking, throttle, and weight shift adjustments beyond that limit will get you drifting. After that, just practice and improve. If you don't like that method, just head out to a parking lot and play with the e-brake. Try feinting and braking while steering to start a drift. You learn from all experiences and methods of learning. I'm just particular to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyazen
                                hmm...."just drift integra"....yeh...but how u guys start out do u just start out like doing the handbrake or just went straight to drift on tha street? becuz my car is front weel drive and there would be too much of grip on the front tire and rear.
                                no one has directed him to me yet? im kindof surprised

anyways check out the links in my signiture

Comment

Working...
                                X