What's your current learning focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your current learning focus?

What skill or technique are each of you learning at the moment?

I have no intention of making another heel & toe thread, but I happen to be still working on that. I decided to practice doing it while downshifting in a straight line or slower corners until I get better at it. Skipping from 5th or 4th down to 2nd seems to be easier for me than heel/toeing down each gear. And heel/toeing seems to be gratuitous while doing this wimpy practice routine because it sounds cool but is not critical to shaving off seconds in daily driving.

I'm also adjusting to driving in the higher RPM bands - something I didn't need to explore as much with endurance driving. I'm finding that it takes a bit of concentration to deviate from my endurance driving habits after so long on the mission to "NOT BREAK THE CAR."

So, those are two things I'm working on.

cars are expendable

left foot braking is my current thing...

Comment

Well....probably people already know this, but...

Im working on drifting @ the braking point. or atleast half way before entering the turn.

the average drift, starts off on or after the apex point. But majority of the people need to know that, a drift must be initiated before the turn.

So that's what im working on right now.

Comment

I'm still working on making my rev-matching as perfect as possible so the car's balance isn't disrupted. I even fabbed up a brake pedal extension to make heel-toeing much better. Still working on how much angle in terms of perpendicularity to the floor is ideal.

Aside from that, I'm still working on my grip first and foremost. I mess with different apexes on different corners and try to use pretty much every inch of my lane. There's this one corner where I consider a good apex to be brushing the side mirror against the leaves of a bit of shrubbery as I pass.

Once I get the VLSD, I'll probably go out somewhere and just try to get used to losing traction.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
          Well....probably people already know this, but...

Im working on drifting @ the braking point. or atleast half way before entering the turn.

the average drift, starts off on or after the apex point.
          So that's what im working on right now.
          umm... actually that would be a powerslide and what do you mean by average drift? average for americans that are still learning? you HAVE to be sideways before the turn.... if not you will just understeer right into the curb or wall.

oh yea im working on connecting

Comment

im currently working on connecting my drifts and carrying the drift through a long straightaway, im still getting used to the new mods on the car so its hard to controll all 380hp down the straight and into the turns with out braking and subsequently loosing all speed

im also working on rev matching like grid tech.theirs a few other things, but they are hard to explain. and are long ill type em when i get a free second

Comment

Originally posted by sil180sx
              umm... actually that would be a powerslide and what do you mean by average drift? average for americans that are still learning? you HAVE to be sideways before the turn.... if not you will just understeer right into the curb or wall.

oh yea im working on connecting
              Average for americans that are still learning.
              Yes sil180.. I know, we're that far behind

Comment

I'm currently concerned with mastering grip racing and riding on the friction circle rather than going over it.

Going over the friction circle = drift, but the only problem with not knowing how to grip is weak driving skills in general.

Andy Yen said "Learn to crawl before learning to walk." I think this is essential to people who are just learning how to drive. Learn how to heel-toe to maximize the friction circle around turns first before you learn how to drift.

The techniques that are learned in auto-cross are essential to driving period. Even in Kart Racing learning how and when to brake and throttle is essential. Drifting kart is the slowest way around a turn (unless your name is Ryan Hampton ).

Anyways, learn grip racing first. If you master auto-cross, drifting is just an extention of weight transfer, oversteering, etc. Drifting is about passing the static friction circle. BTW, when you pass the static friction circle, you're in the dynamic friction circle which is generally 80-90% of the static friction circle. You now have less traction than static...

Anyways, This is just my opinion. Don't flame

Matt.

Comment

I'm working on the Technique of saving my one pair of tires for as long as possible. And failing miserably I must say. I hate not having any money.

Comment

i wil be working on, well first getting used to drifting again (its been several months since my 240 was running right, and i get it back next week sometime) and then afte that i want to work on doing donuts while sitting on the door sill...like ne foot inside, the other outside style...lol

Comment

Hmm, current focus would have to be my car's on-throttle balance. I drive an awd Subaru, and with its current stock suspension, it has some understeer, more so under throttle. I'm trying to get used to how much steer in I need to maintain a smooth drift without either over turning and kicking the back out or not steering in enough and getting a little understeer when I lay on the throttle. I can vary how my car will rotate when I enter the corner to essentially do what I want, but I'm trying to get the transition from braking to coast to throttle and the required corresponding steer angle to maintain rotation. You can go from heavy countersteer in the entry under braking or from a feint to heavy oversteer to maintain car rotation under power. It's a bit tricky to get smooth, although some minor throttle/brake adjustments as well as some quick changes in steering angle can get you where you want to go. I'm trying to turn halfassed into halfway decent, lol. It's just a matter of practice really, something I have very little time for.

Right now it's just a few corners on my way home from work and a couple times a month going around on some back roads for "extened sessions." It's amazing how much you can improve with just a little extra time here and there. I wish I could do it every day, but time and gas deters me.

I totally agree with Craftsman as well. You really need to work on the core driving skills to get good with drifting. If you know the limits of your car on the edge of grip, the transition into drifting becomes easier...and safer.

Comment

I'm mainly working on my grip driving technique at the moment, trying to find the best line to take the corner fastest. Also working on alittle heel toe here and there. Sucks cause I'm using my 85 integra which is FF...My cousin sold his 240 that I used to practice drifting on for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
                          Average for americans that are still learning.
                          Yes sil180.. I know, we're that far behind
                          lol speak for yourself

Comment

trying not to loose my license...lol, as of right now i'm at a stand still until i get my 5-lug swap done then i'll start working on the brake drift. stock brake suck nuts.

Comment

I'm trying to learn why the DMV hates me. you don't even know how long I've been trying to get this car on the road. Dammit! First insurance, then registry. What's next? Engine fire probably.

Comment

Working...
                              X