No announcement yet.

Left Foot Braking For FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG! Yes MR-S= the awesomeness. Sorry, I find it rare for someone to be interested in the Spyder. Anyways, here's mine. I always like showing it off

And the parts that set it from the rest:

Feel free to visit www.spyderchat.com or a bit more noob and young(most Spyder drivers are old as hell) friendly: socalspyders.com

Usually I believe left-foot braking is used for highspeed turns. It slows down the rate at which the rear tires move shifting the car to a bit more oversteer to negotiate fast turns. I'm sure it can be used for other reasons. I'm not sure if your Civic is this sophisticated, but I use to try it in my VW. It had an electronic throttle control and I later found out you can't apply gas at the same time you brake. Safety feature I guess.
    Last edited by SaintDrift; 10-12-2004, 08:27 PM.

Comment

MR-S? Great car, I really like it.

Left foot braking can be used often not only in FF cars. Well, in the midships it can really be helpful, as they have light front grip, what sometimes makes them understeer at the corner enterance. Left foot can solve the problem if you're using it correctly.

Comment

You should be breaking at turn-in anyways.

Comment

Yeah, but not too strong, or you'll end up facing the exactly opposite direction you probably wanted to go and surely land in the field/tree/tractor/whatever after a short flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
            ...and none of you even know what left foot braking is.
            I DO!!

It's a tecnique used to balance your cars weight from understeering or oversteering.

But no I do not have any good videos of someone leftfoot braking.

I have however been practicing it in my camry, and I love it. Turns I can normally only take at 40 i can take at 65-70. It puts a whole new meaning to two foot drivers (for automatic that is)

Comment

i can vouch for left-foot braking.
              i was at an autocross when i still had my integra and decided to try it on my second run. i drifted two corners because of it.

it will take a LONG time to get used to because of, as previously said, the left foot is normally used for the clutch. practice on the street when comming to an empty intersection. just try and get a feel for the presure thats needed.

have fun, and be safe!

Comment

IMO left foot breaking is a tech. that is only 2nd to feint in FF cars, Hard to get use to but works really nicely, personnaly I prefer using is without ABS.

Comment

I've never personally worked on left foot braking, never had a need I guess. If you find yourself switching between the throttle and the brake a lot on a hairy high speed corner, left foot braking may be the ticket. The only benifit it has is that you have instant weight adjustments. If you just use a single foot for both throttle and braking, you have that short lag time between the time you take the foot off the gas and put it on the brake or visa versa. Having one foot on each can eliminate this lag time and provide more instant adjustments. I believe this is the main purpose of this technique.

As well, it also gives you the ability to brake lightly with the rear wheels even while on throttle. It seems a bit counter productive to me, but it may just provide some light loss of traction in the rear to bring the back end around. Note, I didn't say weight transfer. For weight transfer, you'll need to slow down. If you just apply brake and add throttle to compensate, you neither lose speed nor move weight forward. The only thing you do is provide some light braking force on the rear tires...just like light e-brake usage. However, this method may provide a more sensitive and controllable "e-brake" that should be easier to feel. You'll add brake wear and heat build up doing this a lot. You might want to invest in a good brake setup if you're going to get heavy into something like this.

I'm not sure how much vids will help you. Really, it's just something you try and get used to. For example, when heel-toe was new to me, vids really didn't help me much. It gave me the initial idea of what people were talking about, but the actual doing is really a personal thing. Everything's physically different between every car and every person. What you see on the vid may not be how you'll physically do it...you may not be able to depending on the design of the car or yourself(flexability, rangle of motion, size, etc.) This isn't really an issue with left foot braking really. One foot on each pedal is pretty simple. Doing it is a little more work.

Comment

Note, I didn't say weight transfer. For weight transfer, you'll need to slow down. If you just apply brake and add throttle to compensate, you neither lose speed nor move weight forward.
                    I am pretty sure you are wrong here. Even if you maintain speed, I'm fairly sure that the drag on the rear wheels as opposed ot the front will help load up the front of the car.

Of course, it has been rumored that I do not know everything

Comment

Hmm, you may be right. The rear tires braking will induce a small amount of torque to push down on the front end. The amount of torque would be the braking force times the lever arm(bottom of tire up to car's center of gravity). So, I guess you're right on that one. However, I don't think it will be much of a load on the front wheels. You'd be countered by the front suspension times the full length of the car all the way back to the rear tires. It may be just enough to gain some oversteer...if the car is relatively neutral in balance. A stock production car would probably have too much built in understeer for that torque effect to even make a difference. It would be interesting to try that and see how much the front end dives, if noticable. Too bad mine's awd.

Hmm, just thought up of another thing. Now when you apply the e-brake, you'd have to counter it with increased throttle. A question for you: Would this increased throttle and resulting increase in forward force on the front tires fully counteract the torque produced by the e-brake?

Comment

Hmm, just thought up of another thing. Now when you apply the e-brake, you'd have to counter it with increased throttle. A question for you: Would this increased throttle and resulting increase in forward force on the front tires fully counteract the torque produced by the e-brake?
                        I think its supposed to be balanced. I think...

Comment

Well...you'd be using the foot brakes not the ebrake, and yes you do need to feed in more throttle to make up for the braking force.

Comment

The monkey who brought up LFB was correct actually. The cartoon is nothing but that, a cartoon. But when they bring up LFB they show live footage of of circuit racers and their use of lfb outside AND the foot work inside the car.

Unlesso f course you think they staged a circuit race where peopel are using LFB just for initial d for some reason?

Comment

left foot braking is just an all around good technique be it awd rwd or fwd...ive used to it get all of the listed drive types sides ways...awwww thank God for rally drivers!!!

Comment

Best Motoring's Touge Battle has a small part where taniguchi is driving a Eg6 and he uses a little bit of left foot braking techniques. Its not a lot but its still something.

Comment

Working...
                                X