Left Foot Braking For FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Foot Braking is used for two things:

1) Weight Transfer to provide more grip to the front tires.

2) Rear Wheel Lock, Since an FF is overpowering the front brakes the rear brakes receive more brake force and hence this is an effect similar, but not as drastic as an emergency brake.

Where you can learn about it:

1) Check out track events or driving schools.

2) Best Motoring's Battle At 10,000 RPMs is a great summary of honda's and shows a considerable amount of left foot braking on it's Togue Battle section in an Integra Type R, Civic Type R, and a Prelude.

Comment

3rd reason: Keeping a turbo spooled up.

Comment

Interesting thought

Hey, I have an interesting thought about left foot braking. As I was thinking while reading this, I remembered that the front brakes are usually larger and more powerful than rear brakes, so that means for FR car if you left foot brake, since power goes to the rear, that means u slow down mainly the front tires, while the rear tires even out from the engine power, while on a FF car it can induce rear loss of traction to react like FR because the front tires are evening out with the brakes, while the rear tires are just braking, so it would cause Left foot braking to be different for each type of drivetrain, while AWD left foot braking i guess would be a turbo spooling technique because all wheels are evened out. I notice that before everyone is stating how it slows down the rear only, but when you apply brake it causes both front and rear to brake, but normally only 1 side either front or rear is getting torque from engine, so that would mean its like an opposite brake technique, so yea this is what I was thinking about, so if anyone else have any ideas about this?

Comment

Left foot braking can be done in an fr but in all hoensty theres much better ways to take a corner (unless were tlaking cart, those guys onyl have 2 pedals anwyays.. and..well thats just different).

In FF lfb can be enouch to ofset the traction of the tires a little and create minor slip angles. because of that it will help with understeer (once again, there are however better ways to clear a corner in most cases)

In an fr however this isnt really the case, its much more effective to brake in as much a straight line as possible then use the tires as best you can to corner the vehicle. Frs can TYPICALY corner better in faster situations (lowspeed corners, low traction etc FF has advantages because of smaller size lighter weight etc, and for lowtraction they simply have more) because their front tires can be used fully to turn the vehicle, instead of tyring to turn and pull the vehicle.

Comment

Also, a FF needs to pull the weight of it's arse into the corner along with the front of the car. Whilst a FR actually pushes the weight of the back of the car in the direction you want to go, making them corner faster again.

I use LFB to improve entry speeds and to correct initial understeer.

Also, if you begin to understeer because you're exiting 'too fast', LFB can be useful just to transfer weight to the front so you're not fighting the inertia of your own arse so much. You'll find the understeer dissappears and you'll keep the revs high on exit. So 'too fast' becomes 'fast'.

I have no idea how fast I can go around a corner using LFB cause quite frankly I'm not looking at the speedo. I might mount a camera to look at the dash and out the window.

Although my estimate on a 90 degree corner that was chirping at 50 km/h without LFB was about 65 km/h with LFB, based on what speed I was doing when I looked at the speedo after I straightened up.

Comment

left foot braking is for the automagic driving guys. You can be so much faster with good heel-n-toe. Helllooooo, trail braking?

Comment

Heel-toe is a downshifting technique, not a cornering technique. lfb helps with understeer to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by mechaniac
                  left foot braking is for the automagic driving guys. You can be so much faster with good heel-n-toe. Helllooooo, trail braking?
                  You have no clue what is going on

Comment

Working...
                  X