No announcement yet.

Ask RHYS MILLEN Racing Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how did you guys come up with the design of your rotors ? are they that much better than the conventional round ones ?how can the average guy go about doing this, is thier a specific design to follow or type of shape that we need to replicate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
      I would like to know this. How does Rhys feel about the negativity that your average unintelligent "American car hater" has for him and the GTO? I am sure he doesn't let it get to him but when crowds of people boo him just for the car he drives, that has to strike somewhere. Also what are his thoughts on the rapid expansion of the sport?
      I would also would like to know how Rhys feels with all the people always booing him just because of the GTO...

and how does Rhys feels about the New Ford Mustang and how it will also be in drifting events?

Comment

I have a question about your steering setup, namely the maximum angle you can reach when you turn to lock the steering, lets say to the right.So, whats the max. angle you can reach when you lock the wheel to the right on the GTO?
        Also, id like to know if the installation of the Howe STeering quickener had any effect on that same maximum angle you can reach.
        Finally, with the introduction of the new LS2 6.0l and the new LS7 7.0l, do you have any plans of swapping any of those in the GTO?
        Thanks a lot.

Comment

CrazyHawaiian and Ghost of Duluth: These are both great questions and I will do my best to get Rhys' attention long enough to answer them. I would answer we the team in general feels but I think you would prefer Rhys' answer. So hang tight.

Wayne: The shape of the rotor was not what we were looking for when we build our new brake set up. Weight was the main factor. We tried to find the lightest rotor/caliper combo possible and made them work. Because drifting does not require heavy braking over long periods of time, huge, thick and heavy rotors are really over kill. Our car weights 2750lbs on a good day and these brakes work great! We also shaved over 75 lbs going to them from conventional big brake upgrades. Its easier then you think. Give us a call and we can look into getting a set up for your car if you want.

FunkCaptain: I will have to look into the exact amount of steering angle our car has compared to stock. I believe we gained about 20% over stock. The Steering quickener did not give us more angle, just less turns from lock to lock. So if Rhys needs to go from a right turn lock to a left turn lock, it only takes him 2 1/2 turns instead of 4 turns. It does however cause a lot of strain on the feel of the steering wheel. Its a lot heavier steering feel then stock. To compensate, we had the steering rack rebuilt to allow for higher pressure and rebuilt our power steering pump to run higher pressure and more over all flow. We also installed a power steering cooler to prevent from over heating.
          We have no plans on changing our power plant. The LS6 and LS1 are both great motors and are more then capable to make the kind of power it takes to drift our car. This year we built all of our motors using completely off the shelf items from GM. We ran all year on factory Crank, Rods, and Pistons using factory bore and stroke for the LS1. If we needed more power, we could easily add a few more off the shelf GM goodies and be making 650hp to 700hp. As we sit right now we have plenty of power, its traction we are having trouble with; we need more.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamRMR
            Wayne: The shape of the rotor was not what we were looking for when we build our new brake set up. Weight was the main factor. We tried to find the lightest rotor/caliper combo possible and made them work. Because drifting does not require heavy braking over long periods of time, huge, thick and heavy rotors are really over kill. Our car weights 2750lbs on a good day and these brakes work great! We also shaved over 75 lbs going to them from conventional big brake upgrades. Its easier then you think. Give us a call and we can look into getting a set up for your car if you want.
            alright thanks man, i was just intrested. the shape is intresting to say the least. how do you think that design will work on a street driven car though?

Comment

Re: Ask RHYS MILLEN Racing Something!

Originally posted by INFO
              Address your questions to the RHYS MILLEN Racing Team on this thread.
              I was amazed at the crowd response and support for our team. The fact is the crowd were supporting the USA drivers as a whole - not just who they are and what they drive is a big step forward from D1 at Irwindale in Feb. I'm not to sure how to respond to the runs with Imamura, we both spun on the first round ( mine was forced by him brake checking me ) and the point of which I spun was told to the drivers in the drivers meeting " That the 3rd corner doesn't count " - go figure it did on the day ! When you get beat, you better study your competition and make changes to prevent it from happening again. The RMR team have been consistantly making changes all season with every adjustment producing more compeditive results. I have the guy's making more changes at his very moment, in time for round one of the 2005 D1 championship. The GTO should be every compeditive for the 2005 Formula D series
              Team RMR
              www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Rock on R. Millen. Glad you came on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                  how did you guys come up with the design of your rotors ? are they that much better than the conventional round ones ?how can the average guy go about doing this, is thier a specific design to follow or type of shape that we need to replicate?
                  I think that the Pontiac representitives answered that the best at the Feb D1 event. " If they are booing the car, then they are paying attention to what type of car you am driving" ! As a driver I enjoy a challenge. With the support from a great sponsor in GM, I have been given the chance to develop the car into a compeditive machine, the car will go through changes but the fans may or may not. I drive for the personal reward, competition and for the respect of fans that understand this. As for the others, well, all forms of racing has lovers and haters - it's all good.
                  Team RMR
                  www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                    Whoops - the Ford Mustang ! It's a good starting point, I have driven it alot to be honest. All the TV commercials you see or will soon see ( and trade shows ) is me sliding it around - that and the Ford GT supercar. The down fall is the soild rear axle, this gives the vehicle major wheel hop under power - the GTO is IRS in the rear. Ken will have his work cut out for him as we did this year, but he is a talented young punk ( we are friends ), reminds me of myself at his age ( damn I'm old ) and he will do well !
                    Team RMR
                    www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

How often when you first started did you practice?

What makes a person a good drifter?

What qualities do you think helped you get where you got today?

What do you think of the young talent coming through?

Thanks

Aaron.

Comment

His Rally experience and great tan!
                        whatup Rhys!!!

Murph Teck..

Comment

Why is it that when I read your responses that I do it with a thick Kiwi Accent?

Hahaha, seriously..I just did that and realized I was doing it! Good on ya Rhys..tell Eric Mike said aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by gwilo_drifta
                            How often when you first started did you practice?

I would practice as much as I could, going out to El Mirage dry lake and sliding around my car I owned at that time. This was a great place to learn, push the limits of control without damaging equipment. The drift day's that are now offered are a perfect parallel to this.

What makes a person a good drifter?

For me it is balance, this translates to feel. I raced bmx and mountain bikes from 8yrs to 18yrs. If you have a good sence of balance you can tell what the car is doing, make adjustments and hone your skills. That and lots of gas and tires

What qualities do you think helped you get where you got today?

I placed alot of emphasis on prep, sure at a young age I had my fathers shop to my disposal but I worked hard at bring out the best looking car that my money and time could afford. Less lead to sponsors wanting to be associated with what I was doing. The good prep produced results along with good personal presentation at events and in front of press - you never know when and who is watching you and you better be ready always !

What do you think of the young talent coming through?

This sport offers a great opportunity for young talent to gain sdfexposure for minimal cash outlay as well as experience. I am shocked at the media attention both team RMR and the sport have received. The future is uncertian, so at his point I view it as a building block to form relationships with sponsors to perhaps expand on what is already in front of us today.
                            Team RMR
                            www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Thanks for that advice, i will keep it very much in mind.

I have only been doing a little bit of drifting here and there. I own a 91 turbo subby (i did nearly all the work on it with some help.)

I have one more question to ask, I am 17, and my first drift practice day is in Jan.

What advice would u give me for my first day on the track? Apart from have fun, what should i keep in mind and what techniques suite a beginner drifter best, no need to go into lots of details but i am just wondering from ur experience.

Thanks again, and by the way i saw a doco on u on the discovery channel, i think your skills are very impressive and good to see a neighbour of Aus out there doing so well.

** one other thing, forgot to mention, my drift car is a 81 toyota celica liftback model.

Comment

Originally posted by gwilo_drifta
                                Thanks for that advice, i will keep it very much in mind.

I have only been doing a little bit of drifting here and there. I own a 91 turbo subby (i did nearly all the work on it with some help.)

I have one more question to ask, I am 17, and my first drift practice day is in Jan.

What advice would u give me for my first day on the track? Apart from have fun, what should i keep in mind and what techniques suite a beginner drifter best, no need to go into lots of details but i am just wondering from ur experience.

First off, is it all wheel drive ? If so this will be tricky unless you have heaps of power. With front or all wheel drive vehicles, the technique requires trail braking to rotate the car. This technique is most commonly used in rally where the slippy surface doesn't allow for much turn in grip on the front. On the pavement and with out 400+ hp I would suggest a large rear swaybar or increased rear spring rate. Second to this play around with tire pressure - perhaps starting with 32 front - 55 rear. We use this alot in commercails to get front drive vehicles in big drifts. Also if you can keep your hand close by the hand brake - you will be clutch dipping and hand brake cutting alot. Cheers, Rhys.

Thanks again, and by the way i saw a doco on u on the discovery channel, i think your skills are very impressive and good to see a neighbour of Aus out there doing so well.

** one other thing, forgot to mention, my drift car is a 81 toyota celica liftback model.
                                Team RMR
                                www.RMRProducts.com

www.GTODrift.com

Comment

Working...
                                X