No announcement yet.

Drifting an Eclipse GSX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWD can drift. Anyone who saw the D1 USA Drivers Search and Rhys Millen drifting his Rally EVO can attest to that. Or anyone who has ever watched the Rallye Catalunya knows how bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* a drifting AWD car is.

I have a S13 but have been thinking about getting 1G AWD DSM and gutting it so it is as light as possible and drifting it. My brother has a '91 Galant VR4 - a limited edition 4 door sedan that has the same AWD Turbo 4G63 Drivetrain that the Eclipse GSX's do. He has stock difs and transmission and is able to drift - mostly when it is wet out.

As said above - 1G Motors are bullet proof powerhouses but the 2G Turbo motors have the dreaded "Crank Walk" issue and are generally not worth the risk.

The motor is transversely mounted and it has a FWD style transmission. The shift forks brake fairly easily if the tranny is manhandled. The same with 2nd and 3rd gear syncros.

The key to a drift AWD car is setup. In order to drift well a 1G DSM needs much of the same things as FR cars - heavy duty clutch, suspension, and 300 - 400 hp would be nice. A strengthened tranny would also help.

The key elements are 3 differentials. Most JDM cars put in a front LSD with approx. 30% lock up and a rear LSD with 60 - 70% lock up. A lot of EVO owners leave the center viscous diff stock because it is easy and cheep to replace (it makes a good driveline fuse - expect to replace them fairly often).

Due to the extra diffs the AWD cars are more expensive to get set up.

The other issue is the techniques. All of the same techniques that FR cars use to drift can be used in AWD but due to AWD's extra grip and 2 extra driven wheels entry speeds usually need to be much higher. Also one must have much better control of weight transfer and such to get the rear end to come around where as FR cars are easy to get the rear end to pitch out.

The higher speeds needed to dift and the resulting 4 wheel drifts do require a solid technique and balls. . . but a AWD 4 wheel drift is nothing short of amazing!

Comment

You know what I have been hearing this far too much in this thread.

Crank walk is NOT as common as you think it is. I own 3 DSMs one of which is a 2G. Yes Crank walk is a problem but it only affects 30% or less of the cars that were made. Not to mention any car with a crank can get this problem it's just more rare. You rotory guys should feel at ease.

Comment

using the Eclipse to drift. Nah I don't think that's good because it broke alot. My brother had an 91 eclipse gsx and it broke like 5 times I think. He's not drifting but just drive normally.

Comment

My brother had an 91 eclipse gsx and it broke like 5 times I think.
          Nismo_r34 is right. I have 2 DSM's and they take a lot of money to maintain. But hey, I don't let that stop me. If you properly tune any vehicle - it won't break. I still drift w/ my dsm... but I never push it

Comment

I own 3 DSMs, and I curse myself everyday of the week for it because of them.

Comment

I own 3 DSMs, and I curse myself everyday of the week for it because of them.
              Sell one. Leave a 1g and a 2g. The one you sold should cover the maintanace cost of the other two for about a month or so...

Comment

I've never driven AWD or seen AWD drift badass in person, but I would think the most important thing is the tire choices.

Comment

Working...
                X