No announcement yet.

(LIVE UPDATE) Formula D ATLANTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its mostly about driver skill, UEO has a 16v 4AG w/ 190HP and he still is wooping cars in D1 he won a couple months ago and he won the D1GP over in Cali.

If you say corollas are so crappy tell me how this happend...I bet you if UEO was in FD he would win...

Comment

Congrats Rob, and Matt. Glad to see you do good as always.

Comment

Round 2 was an extremely competitive event. The Atlanta crowd is an excellent group of drifting fans...extremely passionate about the drivers they like...and dislike.

I think in order for everyone to be on the same page, it would help if FormulaD communicated the criteria that the judges were looking for...specifically in Atlanta. The judges made it clear what they wanted in the Driver's meeting (entry speed, specific clipping points, etc). It would help if that information was communicated to the fans so that they know why drivers are competing in a certain fashion. Without that information, the fans are left to wonder/speculate on their own about how the judges came to their conclusions.

Of course, every competition is judged on angle, speed, style/excitement, etc...however, each particular course is different and therefore, judges point out SPECIFIC criteria they are looking for. Why not communicate that extra info to the fans?

Although it may not be a "solve-all" solution, it might help cut down on some controversies.

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Topics II
          This ..., and alot of crazy calls from the judges. Its getting pretty ridiculous.
          Yup, no love for me and Ross Petty!!!
          Hubert Young
          KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Barker
            On a lighter, and less retarded note...I now present the Drift Alliance Formula D Hotlanta recap.

First off, Cars & Drivers.
            Ryan Hampton and JR "Vaughn" Gitten were already seeded from being in the top 20 from the NJ event. Chris Forsberg and Tony Angelo needed to qualify to get one of the final 12 spots on Friday. Chris was destroying the course all of practice, and it looked like his car had none of the problems it did at the last event. Tony had a couple of good runs, and then a couple that looked like he was a 7 year old retarded girl driving his FD. Turns out he was fine, but the car was blowing intercooler pipes off. So he goes and fixes that. Qualifying time comes, Chris is one of the first to go...practice run - bombs into the first turn, spins out, and the car doesnt move...he gets towed off. Turns out he blew up his diff. But he had the chance to slap another one in there back in the pits with an oppertunity to still run his 2 qualifying laps. We are all nervous. In the meantime, Tony is in the middle of the pack...his practice run...the car was all over the place, and you could tell there were more car problems..he doesnt run his qualifying laps, and instead his hood is popped and he waits it out. Chris makes his re-enterance with his car all fixed, we all cheer like lil school girls. He makes his two qualifying runs, and destroys the course again. Rad. Tony is back up to do his qualifying runs, he takes off down the first straight and about 50 feet in he turns the car around and goes back up the hill. Still blowing off pipes. With no other option he jumped in our homeboy Carluch's car, who had drove awesome all day but spun on his qualifying runs. This car had driven all the way down from NJ, and Tony had never driven it ever. He lays down a couple of amazing runs. Chris qualifies 2nd and Tony 4th. Rad again. Congrats to my homie Ryan Turk aka Hampshaa for qualifying as well. JR and Hampton get to drive that night as well for practice. JR's mustang is still being wrenched on, so he has got to drive his buddies S13. Hamptons S13 was having a few difficulties, but he was still ripping. JR's mustang made its grand enterance minutes before the practice ended, he didn't get a chance to drive it.

The next day the big event. I'm not gonna lie, I missed a good deal of the top 16 qualifying runs due to umm...well crazy crazy reasons. I did catch some of it, and our boys were ripping. JR had his mustang and was driving it like he had been driving it his whole life. Tony was driving the STREET 240 amazing, and Chris was being Chris, pure awesome. I didnt see Hampton run, but I believe his car was acting up. JR qualified 5th, Chris qualified 6th and Tony qualified 15th. Radddd. Now its time for the top 16, which I was able to watch all of. Tony is up first against Rhys. I am pretty sure Tony drove that car at about 150% of its capabilty. He tore up the track...but Rhys was on his game as always, and pulled out the win. Chris was up against Taka....his new diff was about to explode, and was not trying to blow it up, so he did not risk heat setting (big nasty burnout) the brand new tires that were on the car before he ran. They were super super slick. He went way deep into the first turn and also spun out. He was out. Damn hell poop. JR was up against someone, I forget who..but someone. He rips into turn one and his supercharger/power steering belt breaks and he plows through the infield. Rad, but not really. He managed to still finish the tandem battle pretty well considering he didnt have power steering in that hog. JR was out. So thats it. They did their best with what was thrown at them. They will be wrenching hard to get the cars ready and reliable for Houston.

I'll write up about the more insane party side of the Drift Alliance weekend in a lil while. I'm exhausted from writing all of this. I hate Tony for making me do it.
            The Drift Disater...lol..
            Good one boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love all who got the balls to go out there and drift.

PS- Did you guys play ANY rap music, or was it just Motley Crue and GnR all the way? (Dr. Feelgood!)

Comment

Originally posted by motdyn_s14
                Yup, no love for me and Ross Petty!!!

I agree. you two were kickass

Comment

As the announcer here I best described what the judges are looking for a few times over the loudspeker as best as I could in layman terms.
                  I wanted to describe clipping points, the proper line, speed, angle and overall excitement as well as judging compensation for high and low horsepowered cars.

I hope that helps I will definitely have to repeat it over and over throughout the day at the hext event.
                  I only broke it down oncein ATL, each round.

Nismo- We played rock and Roll but no GNR or Crue, the DJ had AC/DC and som eother stuff that was decent.
                  The crowd was into it, Chris Forsberg and DA brought some good rock and roll as well.

It was a good mix of Hip Hop and R&R, so all were psyched, music was NOT an issue!!!

Thanks ATL for having fun, I hope you had as much if not more fun than I did!!!

Comment

I just watch the run with Taka vs. Sam.

HOLY *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ING *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*. What the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* was that 4th run by Sam? Trying to go on the inside?

Check out the Enjuku Vid. You'll see the run very clearly that Taka should of won that round.

-Al

Comment

ok i finally read of all of this, i cant believe so many ignorant ppl on this thread. i wasnt at atlanta, i only saw the vids. the run with taka and sam, looks like taka gripped a lot in that run. before you flame me by saying cuz he was trying to catch up with sam. thats not the main thing the judges arent looking for. now say IF TAKA did run a perfect line, nice speed, angle, and can catch up a little (but not really necessary due to underpowered issues). yes i would say taka should win. Sam is the better driver. all the vids with sam, his lines were consistent and his ability to push the other car without crashing takes tremendous concentration and skill. The judges did it rite. I also like to question for those who think "DRIFTING" is a motorsport. Who says drifting is a REAL motorsport? REAL MOTORSPORTS DONT HAVE JUDGES. Instead, they have strict rules they have to follow. like racing classes, hp, weight, team budget, tire restriction and limitation amount. they do those things to keep the competition fair. there are no written rules in judging. how is a 86 vs a viper fair? the only factor in winning is all up to the judges. in conclusion, Drifting is fun competitive game. It will never be up to status with the big boys.
                      Last edited by nasty nate 7; 05-10-2005, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty nate 7
                        I also like to question for those who think "DRIFTING" is a motorsport. Who says drifting is a REAL motorsport?
                        Drifting is a 'Sport' that invloves Motor Vehicles.....that makes it a 'Motorsport'. NOw whether Drfiting is 'Racing' or not is questionable....but it sure as h3ll is a sport.

Also, go watch the video again. DID YOU REALIZE THAT JUDGING DID NOT START TILL THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL? If judging didn't start till the bottom of the hill, than why was sam 8 car lengths in front of Taka by then? I could understand if judging started at the top of the hill...but it didn't.

anybody care to explain that to me?

Charles

Comment

If any of you guys were even there, you'd know that after all the runs the judges were huddled for at least 15 minutes. It was a tough decision, but I think they made the right one.

Comment

Damn that sounds like fun! I really wouldve wished I was there but im broke, and I dont really feel like walking like a hobo. Well good to hear music was not an issue, when you guys come back to Wall I hope its like that too!!

PS- CASPER, I HEART CASPER!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                              If any of you guys were even there, you'd know that after all the runs the judges were huddled for at least 15 minutes. It was a tough decision, but I think they made the right one.
                              I was 15 feet from J-Rods tower...only a couple feet from 'Paul', the drunk with the Mohawk. Yes, it was a hard decision, but I still question it. I do think that Sam held his own in the final 4, so don't construe my skeptimism towards Sam's ability, it was just that particular battle that I question.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by MrRiceRocket
                                I was 15 feet from J-Rods tower...only a couple feet from 'Paul', the drunk with the Mohawk. Yes, it was a hard decision, but I still question it. I do think that Sam held his own in the final 4, so don't construe my skeptimism towards Sam's ability, it was just that particular battle that I question.

Charles

I agree, it's just the earlier posts of people flaming Sam because he drives a Viper.

15 feet from J-Rod, ouch.... I'm sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X