ESPN / Toyo Drift - 8/19, 20 & 21 in Indy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J.R's buying ...

... because he beat Mike Peters / Bubba Drift in the final - in a borrowed car that he only drifted once after gernaiding his machine in his first qualifying run. Both turned in very impressive performances but the close decision came down in favor of Vaugn.

And thank you, B.J. - your wishes were realized.

Full results and more pix should be up soon. I'll post here once I'm able to put that up.

And Tony the Tiger's car (and Fedor's) will be the centerpieces of the ESPN program open - immediately at the start of the show.
    Last edited by GMA; 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM.

Comment

How did Dado do?? that site is confusing...

Comment

Ter-Tech and its crew would like to give special thanks to Mike Peter and his crew for all the help we got THANKS!!!. The event was huge I heard that there was almost 8000 pre regged show cars on top of all the racers. We will surely be there next year. Also Mad props to Toyo tires and Kawasaki for the prices.

Sincerely

Harri Tervola
        Ter-Tech inc.

Comment

We had a great time, weather was nice.

'Pro' class:
          1st Place - JR kicking butt in a borrowed car (240) after his turbo died.
          2nd Place - Mike Peters (Bubba Drift)
          3rd Place - Nathan Brasz (Fellow cooper tires teamate, driving a beautiful 240 built by Zero Lift)

We didn't stay for the non-pro event, we had to get back for irwindale. Dado was looking very good in the caddy, but because of the lack of a cage he had to run in the non-pro class. Terr-tech guys, nice to meet you - and looking very good in the bimmer

Comment

I gues Dado spun out in his final run and was DQ'd..

Comment

Dado wasn't DQ'd - he just blew it in the final round. It was a lot of car to drift. He did very well a section at a time, but couldn't consistantly string the whole course together. I forget the name of the only DQ, but it was for ...

1. powering out of a spin / standing burnout
              2. drifting after the end of the course
              3. disregarding the red flag
              4. placing a track worker / official / other participants in undue harm's way
              5. extending an arm outside of the vehicle while in a drift

Thank you for the kind words on the event. It was within expectations and we're glad to know that you were pleased. We saw a lot of things that will be better next year, but then again, next year, the objective is to let this event be a date on a series. More on that should be announced soon - perhaps around SEMA.

This event has put some people in touch with each other who should have been in touch long, long ago. I think that some good thinking in terms of drifting has finally joined together and the hope is for these people to solve a lot of problems that are seen within the sport and to avert a premature demise such as what is seen in sport compact drag racing.

Thank you again to everyone who had the integrity and character to believe and commit. The rest of you know who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by GMA
                I think that some good thinking in terms of drifting has finally joined together and the hope is for these people to solve a lot of problems that are seen within the sport and to avert a premature demise such as what is seen in sport compact drag racing.

HAHAHa "good thinking finally"? remember 3-4 years ago. Oh you dont because you werent there. I have an good Idea of what you might be up to and Please do us all a favor keep events like this one was a one off event there is no reason for a stab at another pro drift series in America its just gonna dilute the sport and give poor representation of the skill and professionalism of the sport in America. If you want to have some "good thinking" think of ways to help the aspiring up and coming drivers and start a feeder series for THE only American Professional drift series which is Formula Drift. Remeber those guys? They are the ones that started a series when no one else would they had faith and we will never forget nor tread on that. So if you wanna do something really good for the sport and "avert a premature demise" bring some sponsors into a Busch league type series of drifting and get the Up and coming aspiring drivers some support and exposure. Im sure you could still figure out a way to put money in your pocket with a series like that just as well as creating a new series you wanna call a "pro series". I hope this is not coming off sarcastic and that it is coming off serious. We have worked to hard to get things where they are and opened opportunities for those that did not and possibly would not have had them and we are not willing to allow " a premature demise" which is what a stab at another pro series will do. We already had this discussion when WDC first tried split us with things that ended up as empty promises.

DO the right thing.

JR
                www.driftalliance.com
                TEAM FALKEN

Comment

Originally posted by j.r.
                  HAHAHa "good thinking finally"? remember 3-4 years ago. Oh you dont because you werent there. I have an good Idea of what you might be up to and Please do us all a favor keep events like this one was a one off event there is no reason for a stab at another pro drift series in America its just gonna dilute the sport and give poor representation of the skill and professionalism of the sport in America. If you want to have some "good thinking" think of ways to help the aspiring up and coming drivers and start a feeder series for THE only American Professional drift series which is Formula Drift. Remeber those guys? They are the ones that started a series when no one else would they had faith and we will never forget nor tread on that. So if you wanna do something really good for the sport and "avert a premature demise" bring some sponsors into a Busch league type series of drifting and get the Up and coming aspiring drivers some support and exposure. Im sure you could still figure out a way to put money in your pocket with a series like that just as well as creating a new series you wanna call a "pro series". I hope this is not coming off sarcastic and that it is coming off serious. We have worked to hard to get things where they are and opened opportunities for those that did not and possibly would not have had them and we are not willing to allow " a premature demise" which is what a stab at another pro series will do. We already had this discussion when WDC first tried split us with things that ended up as empty promises.

DO the right thing.

JR
                  and for that reason the sport will never grow if it isnt fd than it isnt any good, you should support any one who holds events cause there isnt enough of them and i say its awsome if they offer a good prizes and try to get some good drivers there i say keep holding the events and dont let people like you that put down a good thing

Comment

J.R. I couldn't have said it any better!! I'm glad that there are people such as yourself and Alex Pfeifer who have a good head on there shoulders so things don't get washed out. As an aspiring drifter myself I would love to see a "minor league" so to speak, just like you said.
                    Keep up the good work,
                    Matt M.

Comment

yes, JR in for the win, very well said, but there are several small series that are very competitive and with decent payouts already, i really dont see any reasont o have a feeder series as its hard enough for alot of us to get to a formula D event, i dont see a smaller less exposed and less financially backed series being cheaper for the drivers or interesting for sponsors, so i think everything is just fine the way it is, take the Beaver Run series in PA for instance, very small event, VERY high skill level and in a good location for east coasters and eastern midwest, we need more of these!

also griff, do us all a favor and stay out of drifting, no one likes you. thanks.

Comment

get as many series goin as possible... as long as its in my area

Comment

Originally posted by the riot hero
                          yes, JR in for the win, very well said, but there are several small series that are very competitive and with decent payouts already, i really dont see any reasont o have a feeder series as its hard enough for alot of us to get to a formula D event, i dont see a smaller less exposed and less financially backed series being cheaper for the drivers or interesting for sponsors, so i think everything is just fine the way it is, take the Beaver Run series in PA for instance, very small event, VERY high skill level and in a good location for east coasters and eastern midwest, we need more of these!

also griff, do us all a favor and stay out of drifting, no one likes you. thanks.

I agree what you are talking about is a perfect example of a Busch type series that I meant. Those small series are great and great opportunites for those that cant make the hauls I personally love them when there are local competitions it gives me a fun challenge in my personal car as well as gets me back to the grassroots style of things for a weekend. A larger scale feeder\busch series with sponsorship that could help you guys get to events would be great too.Basically what Im saying is we dont need a series to parallel or try to beat FD because that will cause big problems if it was to even get off the ground.

Have Fun,

JR
                          www.driftalliance.com
                          TEAM FALKEN

Comment

Originally posted by FreeThinker
                            I have strong hopes that Formula D will modify things slightly to allow more people to participate in their events. With the number of people showing up to qualify, and the number of people already planning to participate in 2006, there is more than enough to go around for 2 national series. It CAN be handled by one series, but not the way it currently is arranged. Seeded drivers should probably be reduced to only the top 16 in points. And I personally think that tandem should take place for all of the top 32, not just the top 16.

The eliminations are over too quickly to be honest. Maybe a 2-day weekend would be better with practice and qualifications taking place on Saturday and then the competition on Sunday. You could even let the drivers who didn't make top 32 have their own competition for some sort of amateur points series, or just a small number of points that could be used in the overall series. Single judged runs to determine a top 16 of non-qualifiers and then run them in tandem rounds. Do this early on sunday, and hold the main competition later that same day.

The fact of the matter is this: Do you remember that guy in the BMW who outqualified you in Indiana JR ?

Well he is probably the best in Florida or certainly near it, but there are a good 100 drivers just like him in this country and coming to an event to try to qualify for a measly 12 available spots is pretty ridiculous. We need more. Whether it's in the form of WDC (which from my understanding, Indiana basically WAS) or in the form of Formula D changing things a bit.

I am absolutely for the growth of this sport worldwide so don't take anything I've said negatively, I'm just trying to put out ideas here. I feel that the only people who would be against some form of change for Formula D to accomodate the rapid growth, are those who feel threatened by the vast number of HIGHLY skilled drivers in this country who do not currently have a big time sponsored ride.

Thanks for reading to all of you who made it through my book

-Sean
                            In response to you....

TWO "pro level" competing national series in the US would be terrible for the sport PERIOD. Look at import drag, look at CART they are struggling to keep fans and sponsors involved in the series and the same would happen to us. Maybe tandem for top 32 would be cool and funner for drivers however that is not how drifting has ever been and I dont see that happening.I do however think that next year only the top 16 will be seeded and I agree thats the way it should be.

We already have a 2 day weekend and there is barely enough time we run to the end both days always. So there is def no time for 2 events in one.

"Fact of the matter" I do remember the Tertec guys and I do remember he qualified one spot above me in the car i borrowed which is awesome!!! He is a great driver with a foot to the floor style and I totally commended him for his improvements since i last saw him as well as gave him some pointers on his lines. He is a great driver whether he is the best in florida or not well who knows but thats a strong arrogant statement from you...

I too am all for the growth of the sport however I am for the growth the right way and not the growth that a group or sanction that wants to make a ton of quick money is into such as creating a new series and trying to pry drivers from an established series with empty promises. I dont think anyone feels "threatened" by other highly skilled drivers (nice shot/stab/swing though) and if there was a way to change FD to accomidate something else then fine but the way to do it is have a busch series that advances there top 16 or top 32 to FD and on qualifying day they would be narrowed down to there top 16 then mesh with the seeded drivers for final top 32 qualifying. the fact of the matter is that D1, and FD has always had 32 when competition day starts and then tandem starting with the top 16. If the people that are qualifying on day 1 have the skill level of the seeded drivers in that series then they advance to the top 32 which basically then turns into whos having a better day and is on there toes to make it to top 16 for battle.

Also Just to let you know... Sean I have had this opinion since Day 1 it has nothing to do with the "big time sponsored ride" I have recently received and worked my A$$ off for.

Have fun!

JR
                            Last edited by j.r.; 09-07-2005, 09:25 AM.
                            www.driftalliance.com
                            TEAM FALKEN

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul
                              and for that reason the sport will never grow if it isnt fd than it isnt any good, you should support any one who holds events cause there isnt enough of them and i say its awsome if they offer a good prizes and try to get some good drivers there i say keep holding the events and dont let people like you that put down a good thing
                              By no means am i saying dont hold events. Are you kidding? I think there needs to be more events all over the country and I am proactively working on making that happen as well as clinics. There is just no need for a conflicting series which is what they have been and are still trying to make happen. 1 off events like this one in Indiana should be all over the place however a official "busch" type series is the only thing we need right now for up and coming drivers to get some support and accell to the next level.

Later,

JR
                              www.driftalliance.com
                              TEAM FALKEN

Comment

yea.. im for the "busch" type series. J.R. has a damn good point about having two pro leagues..... but damnit.. they need more events... especially in my area

Comment

Working...
                                X