No announcement yet.

VAUGHN GITTIN (D1GP WINNER!!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me this, SpoonFork, why do we - as SCCA Formula Drift supporters - want to kowtow to the Japanese series that doesn't put a dime in our pockets or put competitors into our series?

Look, D1GP may have created the sport as a professional undertaking, but what are they doing to grow Formula Drift? Nothing. NOTHING. They want us to stay second fiddle, to perpetuate the myth of Japanese superiority.

And so long as the response by AMERICAN FANS is that the fact that we won on our soil doesn't prove we're better, we're not doing our part to make SCCA Formula Drift the #1 Pro Drifting series in the World.

If the D1 regulars were truly better than the Formula Drift gang, then Irwindale or Ebisu, it wouldn't matter, right? Right, it'd be our collective behinds handed to Tsuchiya on a silver platter. HOWEVER, that was not the case this time. We beat them and we beat them on an unfamiliar course to BOTH sides of the equation and beat them with consistency, speed, and superior adaptation.

And in doing so, all we hear from OUR fans is that the best of our drivers should go where we can't see them and play in another series' playground, under their rules, their judges, and on their tracks.

SpoonFork, what you're suggesting is that Formula Drift become a D1GP feeder series. WRONG F*CKING ANSWER! There is no way in hell that the SCCA and the drivers who support the fastest growing pro series in America should become the b*tches of a foreign sanctioning body.

C'mon, haven't you guys learned anything by watching IMSA, ALMS, and the ACO?

Comment

• Originally posted by SpoonFork
      JR you did excellent.

And with these kinds of debates is exactly why I'd like to see some US drivers goto Japan and compete on their courses and compete in D1. If D1 comes to the US twice a year, why doesnt Falken send some of the US drivers to JP to compete? They should drop 10 of their 30 sponsored guys and use that money to run the best falken 10 in a few worldwide drift events. Like F1. I'm sure all the US drivers would love to drive ebisu so why limit yourself to just FD when everyone knows most of the best drifters come out of JP.

and remember, some of the J drivers just got off the plane and I'm sure they were Jetlagged. So if the US does goto Japan, make sure you're out there at least 4 days to get used to the time difference cause it does make a huge difference.

See some of you in Tokyo in 2 weeks.
      Im will be going to Japan to drive next year at some point for sure. Mark.... Im on east coast too and get off plane jet lagged as well. they have been here at least 3 times before and if jet lag was an issue now it was then too....Im really surprised to hear you challenging in this way
      Last edited by j.r.; 12-24-2005, 10:00 PM.
      www.driftalliance.com
      TEAM FALKEN

Comment

• Hey JR, I'm actually not challenging anyone. When I saw you were up against kazama. I predicted and said to everyone around me that if you won (which you did) you were going to win it all cause you were super crazy consistent. What I'm saying is that it would be great to see US drivers doing the D1 Tour.

And the jetlag comment wasnt so much to say they (the jp drivers) were jetlagged but more like saying that when you guys do goto Japan, go a few days earlier so you dont get jetlagged.

Remember, this is just one event and yes we (USA) won. Wouldnt you want to see the same thing happen in Japan? That's all i'm saying. I'm not starting, choosing sides or even care between the battling sanctions. I could really care less if it's D1, FD, XDL, whatever.. I WANT to see JR, Calvin and anyone from Team USA win on other soil.

I'm making sense right?

(JR, I love ya bro.. and yeah, we still need to talk about the deal.)

Originally posted by j.r.
        Im will be going to Japan to drive next year at some point for sure. Mark.... Im on east coast too and get off plane jet lagged as well. they have been here at least 3 times before and if jet lag was an issue now it was then too....Im really surprised to hear you challenging in this way

Comment

• Originally posted by SpoonFork
          Hey JR, I'm actually not challenging anyone. When I saw you were up against kazama. I predicted and said to everyone around me that if you won (which you did) you were going to win it all cause you were super crazy consistent. What I'm saying is that it would be great to see US drivers doing the D1 Tour.

And the jetlag comment wasnt so much to say they (the jp drivers) were jetlagged but more like saying that when you guys do goto Japan, go a few days earlier so you dont get jetlagged.

Remember, this is just one event and yes we (USA) won. Wouldnt you want to see the same thing happen in Japan? That's all i'm saying. I'm not starting, choosing sides or even care between the battling sanctions. I could really care less if it's D1, FD, XDL, whatever.. I WANT to see JR, Calvin and anyone from Team USA win on other soil.

I'm making sense right?

(JR, I love ya bro.. and yeah, we still need to talk about the deal.)

I understand what your saying and agree Bro! we will be going there for sure
          www.driftalliance.com
          TEAM FALKEN

Comment

• this is like the red sox winning the world series. Congrats and merry xmas

Comment

• I dunno about this whole Japan thing.
              Last edited by ///AMG; 12-26-2005, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• I agree that FD doesn't need to become a feeder series for D1, then our guys are always going to be looked upon as second class, and all the best talent goes overseas to compete in foreign cars. (a la' F1 & Champ Car/IRL)

However, I don't see anything wrong with the American teams going to Japan and slugging it out every once and a while, like D1 does in the states. Have some fun, get FD some exposure to a new market, and show the Japanese what good 'ole American horsepower can do.

But I can see why they would be hesitant, the Japanese aren't near as accepting as we are, you won't see any Japanese fans booing their own cars, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsunami
                  I agree that FD doesn't need to become a feeder series for D1, then our guys are always going to be looked upon as second class, and all the best talent goes overseas to compete in foreign cars. (a la' F1 & Champ Car/IRL)

However, I don't see anything wrong with the American teams going to Japan and slugging it out every once and a while, like D1 does in the states. Have some fun, get FD some exposure to a new market, and show the Japanese what good 'ole American horsepower can do.

But I can see why they would be hesitant, the Japanese aren't near as accepting as we are, you won't see any Japanese fans booing their own cars, that's for sure.
                  I disagree. Formula d is the premire north american drift series, D1GP is international. I don't think that having the US represented full time in D1 would detract any bit from formula d.

Comment

• If D1's jaunt to Irwindale qualifies it as an "international" series, then NASCAR Busch Grand National gets that same sort of recognition for running in Mexico this year.

D1 is the Japanese series. Let it stay the Japanese series. Let Formula Drift become the top rung. ESPECIALLY since stateside sponsors are willing to pay bigger purses and American broadcasters are willing to put together a solid TV package. Hell, the REGIONAL events are starting to get topnotch TV coverage from ESPN.

Everytime we kowtow to D1 is a time we spit in the face of our sponsors, our supporters in the industry, and the fine organization (SCCA Pro Racing) that put their faith and reputation in our support for the sport.

Comment

• I think some of you guys are overreacting. Its really not a big deal for some US fans to want US drivers to goto Japan and compete in the D1GP. In fact I think its the next logical step after having US drivers place in the D1GP. You gotta face the facts man, the D1GP is the top as far as professional drifting goes. I personally like the idea of FD and other series in the USA, and I want to support them and see them grow. But this dosnt change the fact that the D1GP has been running alot longer, has had alot more competitions, and is generally more well known. In my opinion this is due to the close ties between Option Video and the D1GP. The D1GP series has fans all over the world, even if they didn't hold events all over the world. These videos of the D1GP events has created somewhat of a cult following. People that have never seen drifting in real life became fans of drifting. And now that they are holding D1GP events all over the world it has truly become an International competition (USA was only one International expansion, they also have events in Europe and the UK and probably other places I dont know about). I think its fair to say they deserve the respect of being considered top dog as far as professional competition goes. And I can say this without disrespecting any US events in any way. Give respect where respect is due. You go ask any US professional drifter in the US events where they first saw drifting and very good chance they're gonna say Option Video which means D1GP. So yes I do want to see US drivers competing in the D1GP and no I dont consider FD a feeder series to D1GP. Bottom line they are two seperate events, they have nothing to do with eachother. Drivers from the US or Japan should be able to decide where they want to compete without having to worry about disrespecting one event or the other. If a driver from one series places good in another series, I consider this an accomplishment for the driver, not the series they usually compete in. What the series gains when one of their regulars wins in another series is the recognition of having skilled drivers in their series. It dosnt mean one series suddenly became better than another or vice versa.

Comment

• Formula D stands on it's own. OUr Drifters over here can also stand on their own. Especially JR. I have had the pleasure if riding along with him and it is bliss. The things you learn from riding along with a pro, just riding and watching, cannot be duplicated easily in many hours of practice.

As for the feeder series, as I understand it there will be a feeder series for Formula D and then the D1 street series. These "Street" series, if they function as intended, will make it more easily accessible for the regular drivers to compete again since the Formula D rules have changed with no qualifying the day before. Plus they have further alienated the beginner competitor by the venus selections. To compete in Formula D (the entire series) next year you will have to criss cross the US 4 times!!! THat's pretty big, a friend of mine tallied up the gas alone, 20 grand in fuel just to make it to the events. This does not cover entry fees, hotel, break downs, parts, tires....anything else. Then add in the qualifying events and you have alot of driving. This is why some sort of feeder series or amatuer series IS needed. If not then you will surpass the money level of everyone but factory backed rides and you will outdistance your fanbase. Because you can't get up the ladder to the pro ranks if there is no ladder to climb.

Other than those observations, Formula D is great. All of the people from that oprganization that I have met are fantastic and the drivers that I have met and talked too are as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X