Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slappy=lol
    as far as a local series:

I would like to see more amatuer competition too.
    It would be awesome.
    sorry for jacking this thread. time for a pm!

Comment

Originally posted by Toycoma View Post
      I wonder if this has anything to do with a certain tire company wanting to do their own pro series also?? That Tracy chick from Batlground on Maxxis tires sent out something on myspace.com asking for driver input and crap because an un-named tire company wanted to start a new pro series (or just a series).

Here is the myspace bulletin
      Chick? LOL. That's cute.

It's not a tire company I never mentioned that it was a tire company

Also I don't think it's such a bad thing that other companies are thinking of starting another series. Actually, I don't care who does it as long as it's on my side of the Country I just want to drive and I would like it to be at least semi-affordable. I would also like to be able to run my business here in Atlanta and drive at the same time. With FD concentrating most of it's events on the West Coast, I just can't make it and keep my business up and running. I would basically have to move to Cali if I were to get a pro license and wanted to compete.

There are several organizations that do drag racing, the sport is doing just fine and has been for MANY years. I don't understand why people think that more than one organization is going to kill the sport. If anything there are people out there like the guys on my team who MAY be good enough to be pros, but don't live in Cali. I read a lot of people saying there isn't enough good drivers. I beg to differ. I say there isn't enough venues to drift. Seat tme and money is a key factor in becomming a good driver. You unfortunately can't get good with out seat time and you can't get seat time with out money to travel for most people in the country right now. It's just a fact. More outlets may provide for more good drifters on a professional level. It's a little different here in Atlanta as far as the amateur events go, we have plenty of those. The thing is, some people here are getting good thanks to all pf the provided seat time and want to be pro.

I also think that the Pro AM thing may be a bit unattainable for most amateurs. You have to travel the country on a private budget to uncovered events (what I mean by that is no one wants to $$$ sponsor a driver that goes to events where there is no TV/Mag coverage) to get a pro license. I can say for myself that's going to be a bit hard for us and we have sponsors. I mean even in drag racing you only have to do 6 consistent passes at 1 event to get a pro license in the presence of your peers. They don't make you do an entire series that spreads the country to get one.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the licensing. Don't get me wrong. I just feel that there has to be a better/affordable way.
      Last edited by Tracy; 10-16-2006, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy View Post
        Chick? LOL. That's cute.

It's not a tire company I never mentioned that it was a tire company

Also I don't think it's such a bad thing that other companies are thinking of starting another series. Actually, I don't care who does it as long as it's on my side of the Country I just want to drive and I would like it to be at least semi-affordable. I would also like to be able to run my business here in Atlanta and drive at the same time. With FD concentrating most of it's events on the West Coast, I just can't make it and keep my business up and running. I would basically have to move to Cali if I were to get a pro license and wanted to compete.

There are several organizations that do drag racing, the sport is doing just fine and has been for MANY years. I don't understand why people think that more than one organization is going to kill the sport. If anything there are people out there like the guys on my team who MAY be good enough to be pros, but don't live in Cali. I read a lot of people saying there isn't enough good drivers. I beg to differ. I say there isn't enough venues to drift. Seat tme and money is a key factor in becomming a good driver. You unfortunately can't get good with out seat time and you can't get seat time with out money to travel for most people in the country right now. It's just a fact. More outlets may provide for more good drifters on a professional level. It's a little different here in Atlanta as far as the amateur events go, we have plenty of those. The thing is, some people here are getting good thanks to all pf the provided seat time and want to be pro.

I also think that the Pro AM thing may be a bit unattainable for most amateurs. You have to travel the country on a private budget to uncovered events (what I mean by that is no one wants to $$$ sponsor a driver that goes to events where there is no TV/Mag coverage) to get a pro license. I can say for myself that's going to be a bit hard for us and we have sponsors. I mean even in drag racing you only have to do 6 consistent passes at 1 event to get a pro license in the presence of your peers. They don't make you do an entire series that spreads the country to get one.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the licensing. Don't get me wrong. I just feel that there has to be a better/affordable way.

you should only haveto travel a long distance to the national qualifier, the regional should be relatively close, although im sure it could be spread out more

Comment

Tracy - i would venture to say that the induction of multiple drag racing sanctioning bodies actually hurt the sport more than it helped. It spread sponsor dollars thin and forced racers to have to choose which series to run. In fact, if the company that I'm thinking about does start the drifting series that i've heard they will be starting, it will be almost identical. A 'national' series based on the west coast vs a series based largely on the east coast run by a parts warehouse. The fact of the matter is that the 'west coast' series has much more prestiege and has been around longer, and is much more focused on the actual drivers as opposed to the parts company which is more known for the 'party' atmosphere and sometimes their lax tech.

What ends up happening in either case is that the best-funded teams come in and clean up in both series, as we've seen in Nopi / NHRA the past few years. The duality of racing series hasn't changed the end result, the same people dominate both series, they just lose even MORE money because they are spending double (or sometimes triple the money because they're spending double the gas to get from one event in one series to the next event in the other series on the other side of the country the next week). Both series have TV coverage, but they both really only cover the final rounds (and sometimes the semi finals) of the pro classes. The sportsman racer still doesn't get publicity, and even if they do, they get knocked out soon enough.

Look at who's been winning NOPI - Ara Arslanian, justin humphries, clutchmasters, big greek / lil greek (efantis racing), gary gardella, etc... Who isn't winning? Brttney Kindle, Brent Rau, Len Maserat, Manny Cruz, etc. The rich are getting richer, the poor are still breaking their cars and not getting paid out because they aren't winning in NDRA, and the magazines / tv shows are only covering the big dogs. How does this help the problem? it doesn't. Especially when the bikini contest girls are making money just to show up while the drag racers are losing money.

I spent 2 years working for a magazine that covered drag racing and especially the little guys. I've seen what happened in that industry, and FIRMLY believe that the best way for drifting to flourish is to have 1 series and focus all the major sponsors at that series, not try and split them up between multiple events. Drifting thankfully has a much wider spectator appeal than import / sport compact drag racing did, and there is still a balance between the factory-backed teams and the privateers (evident by Tanner, Dai, and Okubo winning events in FD this year). sure, there is a huge riff between the top 20 or so drivers and the rest of the field. But there is a large number of grass roots events, and more are happening every year. Here in California, there was an event almost every other weekend. I've heard that there are events almost once a month in Atlanta, events happening regularly in Portland, NJ, Chicago, Texas, Fl, and several other places. If you want to drift and get better, events are out there.

Tracy - you're a prime example of this. You've secured some sponsors for your car, and are doing pretty decent for a privateer. You're getting paid to do demos at some events, you're helping to organize events to help grow the skill of the amateur drivers in your area, you're running a shop to provide those drifters with the best parts possible. Drag racers weren't getting paid to do 'demos' when drag racing was starting out, and outside of the top 10 drag racers back in the day, sponsors were almost impossible to obtain. Drifting is doing a lot better than drag racing ever did, and people are trying to take a piece of the pie and run with it. I really don't think that's a great idea, especially at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
            Tracy - ............

1st, when I speak of drag racing, I think the people in "our" industry only think of sport compact/import drag racing. There are several other forms of drag racing that do extremely well. How about Funny Car and Top Fuel, just to name 2. I watch those all of the time and the turn out is amazing.

2ndly, We haven't gotten paid for 1 single demo.......
            Dan and I came out of pocket for everything we did this year. We recieved money from NO ONE! We got a few free parts and some free tires. I'm flattered that our percieved value is so big, which is what we hoped for, but we went broke trying to get our name out there. We'll see if it worked. It was a huge risk for us. We spent everything we ever had trying to make it work. Are we pro drivers after all of this??? NO. Will we be??? I don't know. Maybe if we can make it out to Irwindale for a qualifier. I could be confused about the pro-am thing...which I think a lot of people are. It is my understanding that you have to travel the series to go to the big event at the end where pro licenses will be given out.

Luckily for us, we own a shop and it makes sense for us to take off of work to go drifting every weekend. People with jobs like Andy Sapp and Erin Sanford find it a little harder. Dan and I don't have to ask for days off...and in the end, magazine/TV coverage helps our shop. So it's not all a loss if we don't make it big as drifters...heart breaking but not a "total" loss. We can write it off as advertising for our company and feel ok about all of the money we "lost" if we don't make it. No one was willing to make it happen for us, so we went out on a limb and made it happen for ourselves.

In the end, I just want to drive! I have come to love drifting very much. I jones for it when I don't have an event to go to. It's changed my life. Pretty much everything I do now a days revolves around it. I also want it to be accessible for the people on my side of the country. I have worked very hard at trying to accomplish this. Dan and I have come out of pocket to throw amateur drift events/practice here in Atlanta. Another huge risk for us to take in the name of the sport. It's turning out pretty well, luckily. My fear is that now that we (and others here in Atlanta such as DG Trials) have provided an outlet for drifters to drive, they are hungry for more ad have no way to progress.....we don't allow tandem at this time. I hear people in this thread talking about how there aren't enough skilled people to support another series. I see it so differently. I see a lot of people with great talent without any resources The concern about whether or not the new series will be "about the drivers" is understandable. I'm hoping to help make sure that it turns out that way. I AM A DRIVER. THAT'S WHERE MY INTEREST LIE....WITH THE DRIVERS. I thik that's one of the reasons our series has beenvery sucessful. We kept it about the drivers and not about getting rich. I listen to everythig they say and I feel them, because I am one of them.

Like I already said, I don't care who makes it happen here onthe East Coast. Really. I WOULD BE HAPPY IF FD DECIDED TO DO AN EAST COAST SERIES. I DON'T CARE WHO DOES IT! I JUST WANT US TO BE ABLE DRIVE ON A COMPETITIVE LEVEL OVER HERE! I want myself and others like me to be able to enjoy and progress in drifting. I don't think that's too much to ask. I don't think it's fair for everyone to get all pissy about it. How many ofthe pro guys live here on the East Coast? Not that many. Several started here, but didn't stay. I can only think that's Because it was more efficient for them to be on the West Coast. I'm not trying to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* block anyone and I don't stand toget rich from any of this. If FD is the prestige series, then so be it. I have no problems with that (in fact, I would love to have a FD license. I'm just not sure it's a reality). How's about doing more events over here then.

I totally understand why everyone is concerned. The same type of thing happened when we started our series here in Atlanta. Some people thought there wasn't enough driver interest to have two amateur/practice series. WEll the fact is, both of them are doing fine and are prospering.

I hope ya'll undertsand and thanks for listening (yes I said ya'll ).
            Last edited by Tracy; 10-17-2006, 08:18 AM.

Comment

In a nutshell, businesses are starting new series because they think thats what the fans want. Im 100% sure that fans would love it if something like a d1, form d, etc, etc, came to their town at least 2 times a year. different series is not bad in this way. keep in mind that in Japan, there is more series than D1. D1 is obviously the largest, but they tend to survive with more than one series over there. Japan is a much smaller country than the US.

what the businesses that are starting these rumoured series are failing to realize is the financial strain on the competitors(sponsored and privateers), teams, photographers, etc. All of these large companies involved in drifting all have budgets to abide by, and having multiple series is forcing these teams to "pick and choose" the series or events they want to compete in. Im just using this as an example but i dont think that it would be good to see a Sam Hubinette competing in next years Formula D and seeing Casper Canul competing in another series (just an example). Granted there may be more events because of more series, but it wont be as exciting not seeing the full lineup that Formula D has currently because of budget constraints on other teams.

My only suggestion is to do what the fans and the teams want. Maybe these other series should work with the current series and share ideas to not step on each others toes. ITs a good idea to bring more events/series to the table, but you wont get as much as a fanbase if their favorite driver/team is in another series.

Comment

Originally posted by CamelTouge View Post
                In a nutshell, businesses are starting new series because they think thats what the fans want. Im 100% sure that fans would love it if something like a d1, form d, etc, etc, came to their town at least 2 times a year. different series is not bad in this way. keep in mind that in Japan, there is more series than D1. D1 is obviously the largest, but they tend to survive with more than one series over there. Japan is a much smaller country than the US.

what the businesses that are starting these rumoured series are failing to realize is the financial strain on the competitors(sponsored and privateers), teams, photographers, etc. All of these large companies involved in drifting all have budgets to abide by, and having multiple series is forcing these teams to "pick and choose" the series or events they want to compete in. Im just using this as an example but i dont think that it would be good to see a Sam Hubinette competing in next years Formula D and seeing Casper Canul competing in another series (just an example). Granted there may be more events because of more series, but it wont be as exciting not seeing the full lineup that Formula D has currently because of budget constraints on other teams.

My only suggestion is to do what the fans and the teams want. Maybe these other series should work with the current series and share ideas to not step on each others toes. ITs a good idea to bring more events/series to the table, but you wont get as much as a fanbase if their favorite driver/team is in another series.
                good points. Never thought about some of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy View Post
                  good points. Never thought about some of that.
                  and i dont think alot of these rumoured series thought about that as well.

Comment

to clarify you can get your formula D license without ever coming to california, although nevada is the home of the final and that isnt much closer, but if you make it to nevada you should know wether you have a chance or not http://www.proamdrift.com/

and before that there were Drivers searches in your neck of the woods, but it was usually california people that made the treck who were able to get licenses. (like texas early this year)its not their fault they were better.

drifting definitely need more local events for people outside of California, but another pro series? hardly.

Comment

Originally posted by hatebbobbarker View Post
                      to clarify you can get your formula D license without ever coming to california, although nevada is the home of the final and that isnt much closer, but if you make it to nevada you should know wether you have a chance or not http://www.proamdrift.com/

and before that there were Drivers searches in your neck of the woods, but it was usually california people that made the treck who were able to get licenses. (like texas early this year)its not their fault they were better.

drifting definitely need more local events for people outside of California, but another pro series? hardly.
                      I was in Houston still not that close. Where were the drivers searches in my neck of the woods? I must have missed that.

Not every day is a good day...for anyone. Not to mention the 1 person who got their license in Houston came on the trailer with the judges. Ironic.

Comment

"Update: Top drivers from each region advancing in the finals has been expanded to 12 (originally 8). 48 drivers will now compete in the Pro Am Drift finals."

So you go to a regional event to be invited to the finals? and then you still compete mostly on the West Coast if you make it?

Comment

there are more sponsorship dollars out there then you think. therefore, if another series were started that was more east coast based, more AM drivers that are really good but just can't get out to a west coast FD qualifier can go compete, get an out side of motorsports sponsor and move up to FD or even D1.

Think about it. 43+ teams in Nascar, only 43 can run in a race. Each of those teams spends over 3 million alone in tires each season. The money is out there. The drift teams just have to figure out how to get it. If doing two "Pro" series that equals out to say 12 events for the year will help spread that sponsors name, they (the sponsors) will spend the money to sponsor that driver or team.

Comment

Originally posted by Toycoma View Post
                            there are more sponsorship dollars out there then you think. therefore, if another series were started that was more east coast based, more AM drivers that are really good but just can't get out to a west coast FD qualifier can go compete, get an out side of motorsports sponsor and move up to FD or even D1.

Think about it. 43+ teams in Nascar, only 43 can run in a race. Each of those teams spends over 3 million alone in tires each season. The money is out there. The drift teams just have to figure out how to get it. If doing two "Pro" series that equals out to say 12 events for the year will help spread that sponsors name, they (the sponsors) will spend the money to sponsor that driver or team.
                            Yes, It's all about "IMPRESSIONS". That's the goal of sponsors.

I can tell you this, whoever has a NETWORK television show is going to have the upper hand, unfortunately. That reaches more "buyers" than anything out there. Product placement is the best ROI for any company, especially with TV going the way it is...on demand and Tivo.

Comment

There is sponsorship money out there, but I dont think that Drifting has made it to that level that NASCAR is currently at. The sport has grown so much within the last 2 years thanks to the small media outlets like g4 and local news channels that gave it a chance. Finally automotive manufacturers, energy drinks, and more tires sponsors have decided to step up, but thats where it stops.

Youre not going to get interests in larger sponsors that will give out cash (Dewalt, Budwiser, Home Depot, Wrangler, blahblahblah) if they do not see their name adversised on National television. **HINT to Current and Future Series**

As far as the east coast goes. I know that there is hidden talent out there that is unknown to the current series, due to budget constraints. Falken picked up most of their drivers through driftdays and local events. I really think that other larger businesses (tire manufacturers, shops, etc), should invest in looking at the east coast for potential formula D or D1 drivers.

As far as the other series that may or may not start go, i think that Formula D 's idea of the Pro AM series is good, but maybe they can work with these other series and make them a Pro AM series larger enough to satisfy the talent on the east coast, and throughout the country. Alot of companies/sponsors may look to Formula D, and find talent through them to sponsor.

by the way, I live on the west coast and I know there is talent on the east.

Comment

Hi all, I just wanted to take a moment to clarify some things about ProAm before things get too confusing. ProAm is a creation of the US Drift Association which consists of organizers throughout the country. These organizers are Drift Association and Just Drift out of California representing the west, ClubFR representing the north, Drift411 and US Drift representing the east and Daily Drifter from the south. The heads of these organizations got together in order to help their respective local drivers gain recognition and possibly sponsorship if they were interested in persuing a professional career.

Here is a map of the areas the organizations will cover:

This year was a bit of a rush to organize which is probably why so little was known about it but next year we will be going all out. Keep in mind that this is not a national pro series, this is a regional series with a single national event at the end of the season. Drivers from each region will compete in 3-6 events (depending on the region) for regional championship points. From there the top 12 drivers from each region will be invited to a single national event. The regional events will be held within the 'circle' of your region so any traveling that will be done won't be too far.

I also want to make it clear that we are a separate entity from Formula D and we do not receive any financial support from them. We work closely with them, however, and are holding a licensing event for them but our main focus is on the amateur drifters. Our event in Laughlin in November are 2 separate events that are going on, the ProAm finals and the FD Licensing event. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew who we were and what we are trying to do. If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or any other representative of USDA.

Comment

Working...
                                X