No announcement yet.

D1GP DIRECTOR QUITs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, none of this is directed toward you.

So if i understand correctly the rules have changed yet again to accomodate the west coast drivers. Initially, the proam finals were going to be held in Ohio on September 18th along with the NASA road racing events going on. The top drivers from this event in Ohio were supposed to get there Formula D licences. lol, why didnt they get their licences? I would like for somoeone to explain to everyone what happened in Ohio? So now instead of the Ohio winners becoming Formula D drivers they are just "regional champions"? This just forces them to spend more money after being led to believe that they would become Formula D drivers. What will happen in Nevada on November 11th? I have a theory, WEST COAST DRIVERS WILL BE AWARDED THERE LICENCES. Boy am I glad I didnt waste my time going to the east coast regional events just to lead up to no Formula D licences being given away at the Ohio event. Now the proam series is forcing people to travel to the west coast again for the "chance" to get their license. Give me a break, how much money do you want unsponsored people to spend to get a licence that will most likely be given to a west coast driver? I think that Formula D and the proam should just concentrate on giving licences to people that can actually make it to formula d events, that would help out their driver attendance. lol, wait, that is what they are doing.

So in a nutshell the major flaw with the proam series is as follows: The proam is forcing competitors to travel in their region to compete for a regional chapmionship. Competitors can't get sponsors because there will be no exposure in the regional events, regional championships or the national championships, for that matter. So yet again, formula d and the proam are forcing the amateur competitors to spend more money for hopes and dreams. By the time an amateur competitor actually gets their licence they will be broke. After winning a regional championship the competiors who are in the 3 other regions, other than the west region, will have to travel to the other side of the country for $0.15 cents a mile. By the way, thats not really any money at all. It seems that Formula D and the pro am are just throwing everyone a bone to keep them happy. The unfortunate thing is that there are good drivers all around the country that sponsors would love to help out but the proam will not expose these drivers. For the sport to grow there has to be new talent developed, formula d and the proam are not helping the sport develop new drivers. The proam is set up to develop rich drivers, not skilled drivers. The concept of the proam series was a great thought when it originally came about but I am not sure what has happened since then. From cancelling almost every event and changing the rules all along the way I dont beleive that it is a good idea anymore. I love to drift but with the money I put into the proam series for traveling, maitenence, etc I could just rent tracks and have private practice days for me and my friends all year long. Sponsors are not stupid and will not support drivers financially based on the proam series alone. The proam and formula d are taking the fun out of the sport and are doing nothing for the competitors once again. Unfortunatelly for them there will be other competitions to attend next year.

One more brilliant planning move by the proam series was to have the east coast proam regional finals on the same weekend as the nopi nationals. I am not known to be conceited, but 8 of the east coasts best drivers were driving at the nopi nationals. Going back to the sponsors, thats where they wanted these drivers to be. Was that a planned move by formula d and the proam or just poor planning? Eitheir way, it was a bad move.

Dan typing from Tracy's account
    Last edited by Tracy; 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Guys I really hate to chime in. Personally, I leave all the dialogue to everyone because this is a place to share and debate about issues, ideas, and such in the world of drifting. But I do feel I need to give my 2 cents about a few issues...

our pay:
      Yes it is a business and one day I do wish that this business can make me some real money, but in the meantime my passion fuels me. I welcome any of you to come to my office and take a look at my personal tax returns and my monthly paycheck stubs. The money we make pays for Ryan and I's living needs, our hard working team and goes right back into Formula Drift.

import drag racing history lesson:
      I was there first hand. In 1994, I was working for Sport Compact Car magazine, at that time it was only SCC and Turbo (that is a whole other story) and we attended all the Battle of the Import events. They were sold out; LACR was packed to its capacity. But Battle was not a national series, so a group called IDRC (import drag racing circuit) was created in 1996.

A number of influencial people were part of this team (Eddie at Dynamic, Eric at XS, Mike now currently D Sport Magazine, Dave Buscher of Buscher Racing, Hubie Fuh of SPI and others) and I became the Sponsorship Director. We created the first import drag national championship with events from LA to NJ to Denver to Houston. We got IDRC on TV. We were growing but we were still a small operation.

Then people with "big pockets" came in, first it was NIRA (ran by formerly Peterson Publishing; Super Street & Motor Trend). They came with more prize money and TV as well. And when Peterson Publishing got sold to Primedia (SCC and Import Tuner), Primedia closed down NIRA and rolled it into helping NHRA form the Sport Compact Series. So now it was NHRA and IDRC that did battle on a national level.

Then can NDRA (NOPI drag racing series) with even more money and more TV. At the same time Battle of the Imports began to hold more national events; which would bring the tally to 4 national import drag racing series! It became, which series had more money and import drag racing got watered down. And the people that suffered the most from this were the fans. A drag racing fan would attend an event hoping to see their favorite driver, Steph Papadakis or Ed Bergonholtz or Craig Paisley, but sometimes they were there and sometimes they were not. Why? Because some were at an NDRA event and some at an NHRA event. And rarely would you see a full line up of all the drag racing stars.

Now Battle of the Import still operates nationally but not a national championship. They have a good loyal following. IDRC has become like Battle, more holding regional events, going from a one time 12 event season to 5 or 6 this year. NHRA and NDRA are fiercely battling still. NDRA has gone toward the party theme with foam pit parties and bikini contests. NHRA has gone to car shows and drift events.

My point in all of this ranting is this that I have seen it first hand how a new growing sport can be seriously affected by division in the sport. The potential of what import/sport compact drag racing could have been will never be realized because of the events that happened in the last 10 years. Even established Motorsports like open-wheel racing (Champ Car/IRL) can be affected negatively by a split.

So with that said, you the fan, you the driver, you the sponsor, you the media all play a vital role in steering the direction of this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim @ FD View Post
        Guys I really hate to chime in. Personally, I leave all the dialogue to everyone because this is a place to share and debate about issues, ideas, and such in the world of drifting. But I do feel I need to give my 2 cents about a few issues...

our pay:
        Yes it is a business and one day I do wish that this business can make me some real money, but in the meantime my passion fuels me. I welcome any of you to come to my office and take a look at my personal tax returns and my monthly paycheck stubs. The money we make pays for Ryan and I's living needs, our hard working team and goes right back into Formula Drift.

import drag racing history lesson:
        I was there first hand. In 1994, I was working for Sport Compact Car magazine, at that time it was only SCC and Turbo (that is a whole other story) and we attended all the Battle of the Import events. They were sold out; LACR was packed to its capacity. But Battle was not a national series, so a group called IDRC (import drag racing circuit) was created in 1996.

A number of influencial people were part of this team (Eddie at Dynamic, Eric at XS, Mike now currently D Sport Magazine, Dave Buscher of Buscher Racing, Hubie Fuh of SPI and others) and I became the Sponsorship Director. We created the first import drag national championship with events from LA to NJ to Denver to Houston. We got IDRC on TV. We were growing but we were still a small operation.

Then people with "big pockets" came in, first it was NIRA (ran by formerly Peterson Publishing; Super Street & Motor Trend). They came with more prize money and TV as well. And when Peterson Publishing got sold to Primedia (SCC and Import Tuner), Primedia closed down NIRA and rolled it into helping NHRA form the Sport Compact Series. So now it was NHRA and IDRC that did battle on a national level.

Then can NDRA (NOPI drag racing series) with even more money and more TV. At the same time Battle of the Imports began to hold more national events; which would bring the tally to 4 national import drag racing series! It became, which series had more money and import drag racing got watered down. And the people that suffered the most from this were the fans. A drag racing fan would attend an event hoping to see their favorite driver, Steph Papadakis or Ed Bergonholtz or Craig Paisley, but sometimes they were there and sometimes they were not. Why? Because some were at an NDRA event and some at an NHRA event. And rarely would you see a full line up of all the drag racing stars.

Now Battle of the Import still operates nationally but not a national championship. They have a good loyal following. IDRC has become like Battle, more holding regional events, going from a one time 12 event season to 5 or 6 this year. NHRA and NDRA are fiercely battling still. NDRA has gone toward the party theme with foam pit parties and bikini contests. NHRA has gone to car shows and drift events.

My point in all of this ranting is this that I have seen it first hand how a new growing sport can be seriously affected by division in the sport. The potential of what import/sport compact drag racing could have been will never be realized because of the events that happened in the last 10 years. Even established Motorsports like open-wheel racing (Champ Car/IRL) can be affected negatively by a split.

So with that said, you the fan, you the driver, you the sponsor, you the media all play a vital role in steering the direction of this sport.
        I don't think anyone thinks that anyone is getting rich off of this I, myself own an amateur series. I feel ya and I know all about the paychecks. This isn't really about whether or not you are getting rich anyways. It's about HOW CAN WE, ON THE EAST COAST, DRIVE PROFESSIONALLY??!!

If your concerns are splitting up the professional circuit of drifting....then make things more accessable for the East Coast that's all I'm screaming! 3 of the East Coast pro am events were cancelled here. The only one that came through was the same day as the NOPI Nationals. POOR PLANNING. PERIOD!
        Last edited by Tracy; 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM.

Comment

That doesnt make sense to me,you just said that you were involved in the formation of IDRC, and you broke away from D1 to start FD as well. How can you preach that division will hurt the sport (even though i agree with that) when you yourself have been involved in/created division in both sports yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy View Post
            If your concerns are splitting up the professional circuit of drifting....then make things more accessable for everyone!
            Fixed, East Cost arent the only ones left out.

Comment

actually this is about Hidoe no longer being with D1, sorry it has taken another route.

Comment

I don't think anyone thinks that anyone is getting rich off of this I, myself own an amateur series. I feel ya and I know all about the paychecks. This isn't really about whether or not you are getting rich anyways. It's about HOW CAN WE, ON THE EAST COAST, DRIVE PROFESSIONALLY??!!

If your concerns are splitting up the professional circuit of drifting....then make things more accessable for the East Coast that's all I'm screaming! 3 of the East Coast pro am events were cancelled here. The only one that came through was the same day as the NOPI Nationals. POOR PLANNING. PERIOD!
                Need more East Coast presence. Understood and agreed. Anyone have any suggestions on an East Coast venue that can fit the Formula D circus?

Comment

John, none of this is directed toward you.
                  Ahh, but it is directed towards me because I was part of all the changes that were made. But that's alright because your concerns and issues are shared by many so I want to address them and make this series accessible to everyone.

So if i understand correctly the rules have changed yet again to accomodate the west coast drivers. Initially, the proam finals were going to be held in Ohio on September 18th along with the NASA road racing events going on. The top drivers from this event in Ohio were supposed to get there Formula D licences. lol, why didnt they get their licences? I would like for somoeone to explain to everyone what happened in Ohio? So now instead of the Ohio winners becoming Formula D drivers they are just "regional champions"? This just forces them to spend more money after being led to believe that they would become Formula D drivers.
                  Here's what happened: The Ohio timeslot was going to be 3 hours per day over the course of the weekend since it was going to be held in conjunction with a NASA road race. We felt that was not enough time to hold practice and qualifying so we looked for another venue. We investigated the possibility of asking the SCCA national office to hold an event in Topeka, KS but then the city of Laughlin approached us and asked us to hold an event in their city during their motorsports festival. They would provide the venue, discount hotels and other amenities at no charge if we brought our event there. Since we had no financial support (sponsors) at the time we decided to jump on that opportunity which is the reason why the finals ended up in Laughlin.

What will happen in Nevada on November 11th? I have a theory, WEST COAST DRIVERS WILL BE AWARDED THERE LICENCES. Boy am I glad I didnt waste my time going to the east coast regional events just to lead up to no Formula D licences being given away at the Ohio event. Now the proam series is forcing people to travel to the west coast again for the "chance" to get their license. Give me a break, how much money do you want unsponsored people to spend to get a licence that will most likely be given to a west coast driver? I think that Formula D and the proam should just concentrate on giving licences to people that can actually make it to formula d events, that would help out their driver attendance. lol, wait, that is what they are doing.
                  This all falls back the last minute nature of the ProAm organzation. It's unfortunate and we hope to have things more streamlined next year but we are going to have to work with what we are given this year. Its very possible that west coast drivers will obtain their license but at the same time its very possible for a driver from any other region to obtain a license too. It just depends on how much money I get paid since I'm a judge. I'M KIDDING! Seriously, we're trying to make it as fair as possible but its very difficult with what we have been given to work with. Just know that things are being discussed to make next year better.

So in a nutshell the major flaw with the proam series is as follows: The proam is forcing competitors to travel in their region to compete for a regional chapmionship. Competitors can't get sponsors because there will be no exposure in the regional events, regional championships or the national championships, for that matter. So yet again, formula d and the proam are forcing the amateur competitors to spend more money for hopes and dreams. By the time an amateur competitor actually gets their licence they will be broke. After winning a regional championship the competiors who are in the 3 other regions, other than the west region, will have to travel to the other side of the country for $0.15 cents a mile. By the way, thats not really any money at all. It seems that Formula D and the pro am are just throwing everyone a bone to keep them happy. The unfortunate thing is that there are good drivers all around the country that sponsors would love to help out but the proam will not expose these drivers. For the sport to grow there has to be new talent developed, formula d and the proam are not helping the sport develop new drivers. The proam is set up to develop rich drivers, not skilled drivers. The concept of the proam series was a great thought when it originally came about but I am not sure what has happened since then. From cancelling almost every event and changing the rules all along the way I dont beleive that it is a good idea anymore. I love to drift but with the money I put into the proam series for traveling, maitenence, etc I could just rent tracks and have private practice days for me and my friends all year long. Sponsors are not stupid and will not support drivers financially based on the proam series alone. The proam and formula d are taking the fun out of the sport and are doing nothing for the competitors once again. Unfortunatelly for them there will be other competitions to attend next year.
                  All of your concerns are valid and, trust me, you haven't said anything that hasn't been discussed in our weekly conference calls. We're working on getting media exposure, helping with travel expenses, anything that we can do to help the 'little guy'. In fact, I would personally like to see the finals end up being free to the regional invitees. Not only in entry fee but also travel, accomodations and other expenses. Of course that won't happen this, next or maybe even the next year but that is a goal and US Drift Association will work towards making that happen one day.

Dan typing from Tracy's account
                  Hi Dan and Tracy!

Anyway, Dan and I already spoke on the phone and I hope I answered his concerns and questions but I wanted to post this anyway for anyone else who might have wondered the same things Dan was. So please, if you have anything you want to ask just ask!

John

EDIT:

I also want to apologize for taking this thread off course. I will start a new thread 'Ask US Drift Association/ProAm Something!' to address any questions that may be had for us.
                  Last edited by John Yim; 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Thank u tracy we need some love here in the east and southeast(we're not all backwards u know) honestly its discouraging to be in the east coast and have two major events a year all. Even though there are alot of small companies holding events(shiftlock here in FL), we'll need some help over here mainly in recognition and events I know its hard for drifters to come all the way over here but there is plenty of good talent out here. This goes back to the whole FD licensce thing and travel along with the pro-am finals it all feels like unintentional disrespect...even thought it makes more business sense to hold it closer to the west it has lead to most of the finalists(from the east coast) from what i can tell to not be able to make the comp. Its kind of a NASCAR situation...drifting is based around Cali and the west while there is alot of interest not being meet by an open audience here on the east, and it will take a few more years for that audience to be meet we just have to wait and those of us who care will still want to be a part of that when it comes....so jim how about an event here in FL?????? LOL sorry if it was confusing but i have alot of opions and this was my bad attempt at putting them 2gether

-John Breslin

Comment

Need more East Coast presence. Understood and agreed. Anyone have any suggestions on an East Coast venue that can fit the Formula D circus?

Orlando speedworld or if u can convince those morons at Moroso to use the road course LOL

Comment

Jim, honestly, I can get you in touch with Chris Mize and Mike Dzurilla over at Mansfield Motorsports Speedway in Mansfield, Ohio. They host the Craftsman Truck Series event here in Ohio (which sells out every year) and it's a 100% state-of-the-art 1/2 mile oval facility with central pit lane and a 1/4mile figure eight oval in the track center.

It's actually part and parcel of the whole MSA/Formula Drift co-op deal, or (depending on how the political scene in the MSA goes after our new president is elected) the deal might be brokered with the larger ISMA circuit.

Comment

Well I was afraid to speak my mind (and those who know me, know thisis not typical of me ) because I thought I may be the only one feeling this way. Glad to see I'm not...sorry I left out the northeast and the rest of the people besides the west with my comments.

I'm not sure why it would be our job to find venues for Formula D. I mean, you have scooped up all of the little organizations besides mine, this should be pretty easy for ya'll. There are plenty of places if the time is taken to look. I think that if the "split" is such a concern to FD, then they should put the foot forward to find some venues (there is obviosuly a want for it from the rest of us who don't reside on the West Coast) If they don't want to...then leave it up to the people who are willing to make it happen. I have enough going on with trying to figure out how I am going to make my business work without having to worry about FD's. I've been to Soldiger field and it's not that big of a venue. In all reality the parking lot of AMS could be a potential venue based on the event I went to at Soldiger Field. There are plenty other places the size of Soldiger field on the East Coast that will work with a lot of money backing and some effort.

John,

Dan and I respect you greatly and we belive that you have the best intentions for us as drivers. That's why we call you and not FD You are approachable and you treat us with respect. I'm pretty sure that most of this is out of your hands, but I will always do my best to be there for you....John Yim, if it is within my means.

I welcome another series for now. I don't see how it could hurt. Maybe people are afraid that they have a tight grip with the way things are now. In all reality, there is a monoploly going on and that is UnAmerican. There is no checks and balances for the sport. I mean what makes a person a "pro driver" right now? A Formula D license? Something that was just made up out of thin air? So, it wasn't with in my means to make it to the spotty, mostly announced at the last minute, often cancelled qualifiers...................watch me every Tuesday night on the Speed Channel and tell me if I'm a pro driver or not.

Comment

I was in Houston still not that close. Where were the drivers searches in my neck of the woods? I must have missed that.

Not every day is a good day...for anyone. Not to mention the 1 person who got their license in Houston came on the trailer with the judges. Ironic.

I wasnt there to watch so I can't say for sure, but maybe he was just better? If those judges were politcally motivated tino, and verena with their big sponsorships would have licenses now. They are from california too...

and if your local events were cancelled, take it up with us drift or whoever was organizing it, YOU should take that initiative since you have the biggest issue with it, and apparantly have your own series.

Comment

Tracy, I'll tell you this, there is such fundamental resistance against spending money amongst the track promoters I know of in Ohio alone that it's hard for new organizations of any kind to break into a new circuit.

Drifting, in particular, has to buck the negative press that the import scene garners because of the ancillary activity at NOPI and Hot Import Nights events. Track owners don't want anything that would tarnish the "family friendly" reputation of the local oval. The fellows of Outbrake over at Kilkare Speedway in Xenia, Ohio, have done well to show that amateur drifting won't harm a track, but now it has to be shown that drifting can benefit a track too.

If we follow Wall Stadium's example, coupled with a family friendly atmosphere, we can really make something happen in Ohio.

Comment

I think a way to stop the "watering down of the sport" is.....

Not to fight with other organizations over dates and locations. If you are truly in it for the sport that you should be able to do this. Down here in Atlanta, we don't do events at the same time other local events. We actually for the most part don't even get along, but we have enough respect to move our date if we see another event going on that may conflict....and we have 3 seperate drifting org's here in atlanta. Getting along stops the fight over locations and dates 9 (locations should not be an issue if everyone agrees to stay on their side of the Mississippi ) That's what "waters" down the sport. What if you live in Florida and Steph will be at an NDRA event this weekend and he can be at an NDRA event the next. If the NDRA and the NHRA didn't hate each other so much and fight over dates....you would be able to see steph whenever you wanted. Unfortunately there is drama with everything on every level....pissing matches to see who is the almighty and who has the upper hand (prolly cuz we need less testosterone things ). So we will never be able to have our cake and eat it, too. That's called life, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X