ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask US Drift Association/ProAm Drift Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Octagon View Post
    I do have a question for ProAm Drift/US Drift Association.

When you're considering a track for an event, what are the typical requirements of the track and the facility that ProAm/US Drift place in effect? Also, what are the sanctioning fees, purse structure, and arrangement on gate income?
    Are you referring to the National Event in Laughlin, NV or the individual Regional Events?

Comment

there was a question back there.

I do have a question for ProAm Drift/US Drift Association.

When you're considering a track for an event, what are the typical requirements of the track and the facility that ProAm/US Drift place in effect? Also, what are the sanctioning fees, purse structure, and arrangement on gate income?

Comment

Hey guys. I'm done beating a dead horse over here. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I had some meetings yesterday. Thanks for all the kinds words and not so kind ones. Thanks to John and Ryan for being cool during our converstaions. Brian good luck. I hope to see you at some of our events and maybe you can give some constructive criticism and I'll try to make it to some of yours.

For the others, if you want to discuss our events and bring up some concerns, I have a thread http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21508 have at it. I'm open to any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Hippie M. Peters
          its so much easier to love your self though, im gonna go look in my full length mirror now and vogue.
          Originally posted by NM Drift Group View Post
          Off Topic but I can see Mike doin that!!!

Can you blame him?
          Last edited by BenR; 10-21-2006, 09:11 AM. Reason: stuff

Comment

I was thinking more generally, but a regional event would more than likely suit the tracks I speak with.

Comment

I was thinking more generally, but a regional event would more than likely suit the tracks I speak with.
              I can not speak on behalf of the other regional events, but in my case, the following is usually the norm.
              In choosing a venue, the first rule for a competition is that we only use actual race tracks, as we feel parking lots can not accurately serve as "proving grounds" for a competition. Next, we determine whether or not a suitable drifting course can be attained from a particular venue. Some race tracks, no matter how fun, just simply won't work, others are just too expensive. Next, is location, if no one competing will drive to it, then there is no point in pursuing it, because neither will spectators. We then try to negotiate rental costs for an event, this can either be the flat out rate we will have to pay for use of the track, or may consist of an agreement with the facility where we share certain costs, gate fees, concession, etc... In regards to gate fees, we normally charge $15 ($12 with flyer) for adults and free for kids 12 and under.
              I have had both good and bad experiences in both situations, however, the bottom line is we as organizers, are originally drivers, and always choose to look out for the best interest of the drivers in determining a venue. This is both a good and bad scenerio, as we aren't making a living off of it, but we are providing drivers with lots of experience and sometimes difficult courses in which to compete and learn on.
              At the end of the day, most drivers comment on how much they either did or didn't enjoy the event; and these responses do affect our decision on whether or not to return to a venue. Making money for the moment is second, reason being, if the drivers aren't happy, they may or may not return, and with no drivers, you essentially have no event. We feel that our time and efforts will be repaid in the longevity of the sport and in newly attained sponsors (if not, then I will deeply regret not driving at every event during these last few years that I have spent working on this ).
              All of our sanctioning fees and insurance is handled through NASA (National Auto Sport Association), they are great guys and have stood by us since 2002. By being involved with them, they allow us access to tracks we may not have been able to attain on our own. We have rented venues from mall parking lots to NASCAR tracks, this is a great benefit to us and we constantly thank them for their assistance in promoting drifting and allowing us to experience it at top facilities around the country on their behalf.
              In regards to purse structure, it generally depends on the event. This year we ran all competitions as either top 8 or top 16 tandem, in doing so, we decided to offer the top 8 drivers either their entry fee back or better depending on their place. For the most part, we offered a $2500 cash payout, normally distributed as follows: $800 = first, $600 = second, $400 = third, $200 = fourth, and $125 = fifth through eighth. We tried a winner take all format in the past, and usually the only one happy was the winner, at least this break down allows the top 8 drivers to be rewarded or break even for their efforts. The main issue I noticed with this format was that many drivers of average ability did not attend, as they did not plan on winning, therefore they didn't enter. I think that a cash payout on a pro-am or less competition level tends to prevent drivers from entering as they feel they may not be of that caliber just yet and don't want to enter a "cash paying" event just yet. As for 2007, we haven't decided on what to do just yet. It's not like sponsors are throwing money at amateur events, so if we choose to reinvest the cash payout into the series itself, we may be able to pay for better things (i.e. professional judges, more track time, etc...).
              I hope this answers your question, if not, keep on asking. If your question was directed more at whether or not we would hold an event in your area, then feel free to email me at brian@usdrift.com, as we are always willing to look into new tracks and markets. As for the other regions, I am sure they would be more than willing to do the same as well.

Brian

Comment

Any thoughts on coming over to Canada in 2007?

Comment

Working...
                X