This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think a Pro Driver is?

Here is a posing question for everyone..

What are the key traits of a Pro Driver? Some have said to be able to compete with the D1 drivers on their level and not wash out in qualifying rounds for an event. Some have said you have to be a Formula D driver. Other have said it is not about sponsors or vehicle but skill level. With all the debate and commentary on the ”Death of Drifting” from to many “Pro” events and the like it makes me wonder what does everyone consider a Pro Driver?

If you look at lets say open wheel competitions like Indy, Champ Car, Formula 1, Is one a pro series and the rest not? Or are they ALL pro series events? In drifting you have Driftcar America, Formula D, D1, and NOPI all chanting they are a Pro series so does that mean only one of them or two a pro series and not others? I would like to see what everyone thinks on this it is something I have talked about with friends and everyone seems to have a different view.

its a simple answer. A pro driver is someone that gets paid to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by IDCR View Post
      Here is a posing question for everyone..

What are the key traits of a Pro Driver? Some have said to be able to compete with the D1 drivers on their level and not wash out in qualifying rounds for an event. Some have said you have to be a Formula D driver. Other have said it is not about sponsors or vehicle but skill level. With all the debate and commentary on the ”Death of Drifting” from to many “Pro” events and the like it makes me wonder what does everyone consider a Pro Driver?

If you look at lets say open wheel competitions like Indy, Champ Car, Formula 1, Is one a pro series and the rest not? Or are they ALL pro series events? In drifting you have Driftcar America, Formula D, D1, and NOPI all chanting they are a Pro series so does that mean only one of them or two a pro series and not others? I would like to see what everyone thinks on this it is something I have talked about with friends and everyone seems to have a different view.
      In my opinion a pro driver is one who makes his income from drifting.

I will say that there are certainly many "amateur" drifters that can match and best "pro" drifters.
      Last edited by GBC; 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Yep that pretty much defines it...

A pro driver is one who gets paid for what he does well. It may not seem like it, but many of us have invested in learning how to drive much that same way someone invests in college classes or getting a degree.
        Ernie Fixmer
        Formula Drift/VR Motoring/Robinson Helicopter
        Lakewood, CA 90712

Comment

I would also say a professional would be someone who makes a living off of what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhoad Racing View Post
            Plan and simple, the true definition of a "pro driver" is someone who receives compensation for drifting; gets paid. Everything fore mentioned falls into place under that umbrella.
            as I stated on another forum

Comment

So the drivers that are running on their own dime in lets say Formula D or D1 are not? Or drivers being paid to run in Nopi? Would that make them a pro driver?

Or does that include sponsorship as how he is getting paid. But that would open up a whole batch of new questions.

And yes I do agree to that idea that a Pro Driver gets paid for driving.

Comment

What constitutes a professional in any sport?

That definition has been left up to interpretation for over a century the world over.

I don't thing we can say someone has to make a living at it, because your standard of living may be vastly different than mine.

I do believe someone making cash from sponsors could be considered a professional. Especially when you look at it in the light of collegiate sports.

I will say that a professional series is one that actually makes payouts in cash, not empty promises to the competitors.

Comment

Its always been my understanding, a pro driver is someone who maintains a pro competition licence. Regaurdless of where there financial support comes from. If you are running in a pro series with a pro licence, your considered a pro. If you run an amature series and are fully sponsored you are still classified as an amature.

my thoughts.... you dont have to get paid to be a pro..... plenty of pro drivers pay for there own way, ride, rental, whatever it is..........
                  Last edited by drift7; 02-23-2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drift7 View Post
                    Its always been my understanding, a pro driver is someone who maintains a pro competition licence. Regaurdless of where there financial support comes from. If you are running in a pro series with a pro licence, your considered a pro. If you run an amature series and are fully sponsored you are still classified as an amature.

my thoughts.... you dont have to get paid to be a pro..... plenty of pro drivers pay for there own way, ride, rental, whatever it is..........

Troofamism

Comment

IDCR, since you and I apparently have oddly similar names (Justin P is also my name......) I'll answer you as completely as possible.

How it appears to me is that you're not at all interested in defining the word "professional". Webster/Merriam can do that better than this forum, anyway. What you seem to want is some sort of vindication of your concept of universal talent - that one series' drivers are no better than another simply because they belong to that "established" series.

Knowing this full well, and fortunate in that everyone here knows I don't walk on eggshells around drifting, I'll tell you exactly what I expect out of ANY professional driver, and some drift specific expectations.

#1 - Commitment to Competition

A saying I've long lived by is that unless you're at the track to rip the other bastard's throat out, don't even unload off the trailer. A driver must commit 100% to victory using every tool in his arsenal. This is why Michael Schumacher has 7 World Championships; total commitment to victory, whatever means necessary. Of the drifters in Formula Drift, I would say that Rhys Millen best personifies this attitude, and that's why I have so much respect for Rhys.

#2 - Understanding That Motorsport Is a Business.

When you "turn pro", it's expected that you understand your role as a driver. A common nickname for drivers is "throttle spacer", a reference to the fact that they're really just another component to the car. A highly necessary component, but just as easy to replace once a superior component is developed OR if the component fails to perform to expectations. Professional Drivers should always feel the Sword of Damocles, and realize it's nothing personal, just business.

#3 - Conduct as an Ambassador of the Sport

Drivers are the ambassdors of motorsport. No one else receives a fraction of the attention that a driver does, and they should behave accordingly. Polite. Well-spoken. Well versed in the sport's history and technicalities. Gracious. Genial. Accomodating. A driver must be all these things to fans, potential and existing sponsors, the press, officials, and team personnel. Only to his competitors is a professional driver allowed to be unyielding, unforgiving, and downright cruel (see #1), so long as he smiles and apologizes once the cameras are on.

These are, as I've observed, all the things a true professional driver needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon View Post
                        IDCR, since you and I apparently have oddly similar names (Justin P is also my name......) I'll answer you as completely as possible.

How it appears to me is that you're not at all interested in defining the word "professional". Webster/Merriam can do that better than this forum, anyway. What you seem to want is some sort of vindication of your concept of universal talent - that one series' drivers are no better than another simply because they belong to that "established" series.

Knowing this full well, and fortunate in that everyone here knows I don't walk on eggshells around drifting, I'll tell you exactly what I expect out of ANY professional driver, and some drift specific expectations.

#1 - Commitment to Competition

A saying I've long lived by is that unless you're at the track to rip the other bastard's throat out, don't even unload off the trailer. A driver must commit 100% to victory using every tool in his arsenal. This is why Michael Schumacher has 7 World Championships; total commitment to victory, whatever means necessary. Of the drifters in Formula Drift, I would say that Rhys Millen best personifies this attitude, and that's why I have so much respect for Rhys.

#2 - Understanding That Motorsport Is a Business.

When you "turn pro", it's expected that you understand your role as a driver. A common nickname for drivers is "throttle spacer", a reference to the fact that they're really just another component to the car. A highly necessary component, but just as easy to replace once a superior component is developed OR if the component fails to perform to expectations. Professional Drivers should always feel the Sword of Damocles, and realize it's nothing personal, just business.

#3 - Conduct as an Ambassador of the Sport

Drivers are the ambassdors of motorsport. No one else receives a fraction of the attention that a driver does, and they should behave accordingly. Polite. Well-spoken. Well versed in the sport's history and technicalities. Gracious. Genial. Accomodating. A driver must be all these things to fans, potential and existing sponsors, the press, officials, and team personnel. Only to his competitors is a professional driver allowed to be unyielding, unforgiving, and downright cruel (see #1), so long as he smiles and apologizes once the cameras are on.

These are, as I've observed, all the things a true professional driver needs.
                        *applause* That's awesome. Very organized thoughts and not even edited! I don't think it can be said better. Oh and I agree.

Comment

Many people ask me if I'm a 'professional' photographer, and I usually decline. In the most root of the definition, a 'professional' is someone who makes their skill into their 'profession'. Although I do make some money from photography, i don't make my living from it, so I don't consider myself a professional.

However, in something such as Formula D where few people make enough money from driving to sustain themselves, I'd say it's anyone who is not paying their own way to drive. If you build and drive your own car, then you are still a 'pro-am', even if you win FD / D1 / etc...

Comment

Ok now some of the posts create new questions. But also makes me re define what the question was. I guess the question is to where is the line is from professional to amiture drivers. It is not to say one series is better then others or this group is better then them. But a line to say this is when you get classified as a pro driver. And there are many different versions of what makes a driver a "Pro Driver". So I will post up the definitions of PRO and of Professional

pro 2 (pr) Informal
                            n. pl. pros
                            1. A professional, especially in sports.
                            2. An expert in a field of endeavor.

pro·fes·sion·al (pr-fsh-nl)
                            adj.
                            a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
                            b. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
                            2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
                            3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
                            4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
                            n.
                            1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
                            2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
                            3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

#1 Lets take the local oval dirt track or what have you. Every Friday night drivers go out and compete for a 200 or 500 dollar purse for first place. So some answers to this question would classify them as pro drivers

#2 Definition of Pro-Am is.. Professional amateurs or Pro-Ams or Pro-Ams is a conceptual term to describe a blurring between the distinction of professional and amateur, within any endeavor that could be called professional, such as writing, sports, computer programming, music, film, etc

So would that not also then include D1 or FD if some say the only way you are a pro is if you make a living off of it? And what of the people that are driving instructors Monday threw Friday and race on the weekends?

#3 Octagons three main points of Commitment to Competition , "Understanding That Motorsport Is a Business ,Conduct as an Ambassador of the Sport" I am sure allot of us know people in amiture series or local stock car racers that are this way. But I wouldn't think they would be pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
                              I'd say it's anyone who is not paying their own way to drive. If you build and drive your own car, then you are still a 'pro-am', even if you win FD / D1 / etc...
                              Definition of Pro-Am is.. Professional amateurs or Pro-Ams or Pro-Ams is a conceptual term to describe a blurring between the distinction of professional and amateur, within any endeavor that could be called professional, such as writing, sports, computer programming, music, film, etc

But would that not go with the Definition of a Pro Am? Because that would make D1 and FD Pro-ams And I know they are not that..

Here is what I think so far..

If you are a Pro your Professional about what you are doing "Driving"
                              You get paid for what you do a fee or salary.
                              You do not worry about expenses for what you do they are paid by sponsors or the team you are on.
                              You do not necessarily have to support yourself off it alone but you do make a substantial part of your income from it. Like some pro golfers don't always make enough to live off it.
                              You have the skill or ability to compete with your counterparts in the series at the same level they are on.
                              Last edited by IDCR; 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X