FALKEN crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cfrost View Post
    ^they have to be a tire sponsor of the series or else their team couldn't run

it's cool to see falken going all-out, this should be interesting
    Then why aren't they on the flyer? All major series sponsors should be there.

I think they found some kind of loop hole

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
      Then why aren't they on the flyer? All major series sponsors should be there.

I think they found some kind of loop hole
      yeah i think its just that theyre not a series sponsor because if you look at the flyers carefully you'll notice the bridgestone, maxxis and toyo arent on that list either but on some flyers it has them down but in the tire suppliers list.
      Last edited by Hach1r0k1d03; 03-13-2008, 04:38 AM.

Comment

i'm sure formula d would be happy to answer if you shot them an email, they're really helpful with that kind of stuff

maybe there's a difference between "series sponsor" and "tire sponsor" for the series?

either way it should be an interesting season!

Comment

i heard they did away with the series sponsor tire rules this year. that rule was mad golddiggerish

Comment

^I believe it's the same way in other racing series'

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              Horsepower wins the matches, ladies.

In this sport, power conquers all.
              never. you're a member of a drifting forum, how are you even gonna say that. it's probably a joke, but falken is going to be crazy this year. the only real players on the team who are gonna make it is dmac, vaughn gittin, and a little of sumida. that's what i think

Comment

Originally posted by dAndrickPhoto View Post
                never. you're a member of a drifting forum, how are you even gonna say that. it's probably a joke, but falken is going to be crazy this year. the only real players on the team who are gonna make it is dmac, vaughn gittin, and a little of sumida. that's what i think
                you also thought that darren would never drive a domestic either

Brian is a sarcastic guy, if you havent figured it out.

Regardless, its always good to see people in new cars and see what they can do. Most of the guys on Falken are sticking to their same chassis, but are getting some more HP. Hiro, JR, Taka, Ross, Seigo are all in the same type of cars they were driving last year. Calvin got a 350z, but came from a g35. The only one thats having a major chassis change is Darren. Hes a damn good driver, and im sure he will do well in it. Ross is a beast. Taka is getting some more HP, and i know that will help him out. Hiro and Seigo struggled at the beginning of the year with their new cars, but got waayy better with their cars towards the end of the year. Calvin should do well this year too. JR is hella overdue for a 1st place finish. He will get it. I wouldnt count any of those guys out.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
                  i heard they did away with the series sponsor tire rules this year. that rule was mad golddiggerish
                  Last year, there was a limit on the number of tire companies involved (8). This year, that limit was removed, but there is still a 'buy-in' required from the tire company in order to allow participants to run their tires.

Looks like Federal is in this year

Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Im pretty sure they abolished that tire rule guys

Originally posted by MonkeySlide View Post
                    People do what works...its motorsport not a car show...it aint all about originality even though its a nice bonus sometimes.

A total fail? Really? Come on that's a bit much...even if you are right 3 out of 7 isn't that bad.

And are you really going to count out Hiro and D-mac? D-mac did get a podium last year. I think he'll be alright in the new car.

Who said anything about a car show?

I think C wans new z will be pretty darn rad if they get it set up right, but if they dont i just see it as a repeat of fors in 06. Same thing goes for D mac, come on guys this is not drag racing. Your taking a driver that usually drives a certain kind of car, and putting him in a car that has a totally diferent set up and expecting him to do good. I just dont by it, I dont see these kappa platforms performing well with V8s. I think Rhys is the only one who has got the science down, I think his car is the perfect D car in the series right now.

F%$k the horsepower figures, get the car balanced. Test the hell out of it, get the car on the track.

Oh yea....WHERE IS HARUGUCHI!!!!!!

is he another another 07 sponsor casualty?
                    Last edited by Bebop; 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                      Im pretty sure they abolished that tire rule guys

Who said anything about a car show?

I think C wans new z will be pretty darn rad if they get it set up right, but if they dont i just see it as a repeat of fors in 06. Same thing goes for D mac, come on guys this is not drag racing. Your taking a driver that usually drives a certain kind of car, and putting him in a car that has a totally diferent set up and expecting him to do good. I just dont by it, I dont see these kappa platforms performing well with V8s. I think Rhys is the only one who has got the science down, I think his car is the perfect D car in the series right now.

F%$k the horsepower figures, get the car balanced. Test the hell out of it, get the car on the track.

Oh yea....WHERE IS HARUGUCHI!!!!!!

is he another another 07 sponsor casualty?
                      I have been a long time reader of drifting.com and I really feel I had to give my opinion on this statement. I have seen so many uneducated comments come from blaze1 that I could not read silently any longer...

A driver that drives a certain kind of car? What kind of car? A car with a wheelbase of about 95"? The Corolla and Sky/Solstice have a wheelbase within 1" from each other and they can both be made extremely light which is why they have so much potential in drifting. Sure there is suspension geometry difference but I would bet the Sky/Solstice are superior in design with the benefit of SLA rear suspension.

What about Vaughn? He went from an S13 to an 05 Mustang... that is a huge difference and look at how successful he has been in a "big" Mustang compared to his 240.

But at the same time Rhys, who I think is safe to say is a top level driver, went from a "big" GTO to a small Solstice and definitely does not look the same. I hope that anyone that has been to an event that he has driven the Solstice at can notice how twitchy his car looks and shallow his angle is. Is this partly because he doesn't have the mid-range TQ of a 350+ci V8 that he was so successful with before...? Then again, he did come in 4th place overall in points last year. We will see an example of how relevant this all is when Dai, once again a very talented driver, progresses and learns Rhys' GTO which has proven itself as a top tier competition car.

What about Tyler and his Porsche? He, and nobody else that I can think of, had never competitively drifted a rear engine platform? He seems to be doing pretty well in a car that was not the same "certain kind of car" he drove before.

Sam and the Charger? He seems to have adapted as best he could and NUFORMZ has sorted that car. He is competing at a high level in a totally "different kind of car".

All I am saying is that there are drivers, some better than other, that can apply their skills and style to different chassis to make them work and there are some that just can't... it goes both ways. In D-Mac's case, he will be driving a car that is "technically" superior to what he drove before but is still relatively similar.

I would hope that Falken, or whoever Falken has building his new Sky, has enough sense to at least put an aluminum block V8 in the car. Do you REALLY think that an aluminum block V8 is that much heavier than an SR with a turbo, piping, intercooler, wastegate, BOV etc etc...? Not to mention... the reliability of not having all those parts that can possibly fail could be huge. Forsberg seemed to figure it out.

In a sport where the ability to gain enough closing speed without driving through the lead car's door can be the difference between advancing or parking in the pits (assuming that angle and clipping points/line are relatively even) how can you argue that you can have too much HP? Better yet...TQ? As long as you can control the power with suspension set-up... why not?

I guess we will all see how D-Mac does as he adapts and the Sky is developed throughout the season. Hopefully Falken was right... for their sake.

My point is... think about what you are typing before you post it.

Comment

The wheelbase of the Sky is nearly identical to the wheelbase of DMac's old SR Corolla. I think he'll be fine as long as the engine stays reliable.

and i'm pretty sure the tire rule is still the same. You MUST run a tire from one of the tire companies on the flier. If a tire company wants to get involved with the series, there's a 5-figure buy-in which they must pay Formula D to become "affiliated" with the series. The difference this year is that any tire company with $xx,000 can do it, where last year, only the first 8 companies to shell out the cheddar were allowed in.

As for Haraguchi... last I heard, he might be at an event or two, but Intec is focusing on the shop and other things this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jengrish View Post
                          I have been a long time reader of drifting.com and I really feel I had to give my opinion on this statement. I have seen so many uneducated comments come from blaze1 that I could not read silently any longer...

A driver that drives a certain kind of car? What kind of car? A car with a wheelbase of about 95"? The Corolla and Sky/Solstice have a wheelbase within 1" from each other and they can both be made extremely light which is why they have so much potential in drifting. Sure there is suspension geometry difference but I would bet the Sky/Solstice are superior in design with the benefit of SLA rear suspension.

What about Vaughn? He went from an S13 to an 05 Mustang... that is a huge difference and look at how successful he has been in a "big" Mustang compared to his 240.

But at the same time Rhys, who I think is safe to say is a top level driver, went from a "big" GTO to a small Solstice and definitely does not look the same. I hope that anyone that has been to an event that he has driven the Solstice at can notice how twitchy his car looks and shallow his angle is. Is this partly because he doesn't have the mid-range TQ of a 350+ci V8 that he was so successful with before...? Then again, he did come in 4th place overall in points last year. We will see an example of how relevant this all is when Dai, once again a very talented driver, progresses and learns Rhys' GTO which has proven itself as a top tier competition car.

What about Tyler and his Porsche? He, and nobody else that I can think of, had never competitively drifted a rear engine platform? He seems to be doing pretty well in a car that was not the same "certain kind of car" he drove before.

Sam and the Charger? He seems to have adapted as best he could and NUFORMZ has sorted that car. He is competing at a high level in a totally "different kind of car".

All I am saying is that there are drivers, some better than other, that can apply their skills and style to different chassis to make them work and there are some that just can't... it goes both ways. In D-Mac's case, he will be driving a car that is "technically" superior to what he drove before but is still relatively similar.

I would hope that Falken, or whoever Falken has building his new Sky, has enough sense to at least put an aluminum block V8 in the car. Do you REALLY think that an aluminum block V8 is that much heavier than an SR with a turbo, piping, intercooler, wastegate, BOV etc etc...? Not to mention... the reliability of not having all those parts that can possibly fail could be huge. Forsberg seemed to figure it out.

In a sport where the ability to gain enough closing speed without driving through the lead car's door can be the difference between advancing or parking in the pits (assuming that angle and clipping points/line are relatively even) how can you argue that you can have too much HP? Better yet...TQ? As long as you can control the power with suspension set-up... why not?

I guess we will all see how D-Mac does as he adapts and the Sky is developed throughout the season. Hopefully Falken was right... for their sake.

My point is... think about what you are typing before you post it.
                          You join this forum and made your load post just to reply to me? WowsaS!!!!

I never doubted the kappa of being a good D car (i own one), Just seeing from what happen last season with both Rhys and Ben... I dont think it is such a good idea set up the car like that. On paper the way it looks right now it is extremely unbalanced, and this isn't coming from "V8 motors weigh more the I4s" stand point.

And thanks for bringing up Vaughn...

How many motors has the mustang been through, how many cars has he had to borrow? How many walls has he put the car into?

Same goes for Tyler most of last year, but the differences is they didnt debut the car until they had everything set just right, and even then they still manage to earn there selves some bumps and bruises.

We all know all these drivers on falkens roster has skill, but it really seems to me over the past 3 or 4 years they have failed to get them properly set.

Last year they basically trashed 2 high budget vehicles, Calvin's G35 trash after sonoma, couldn't even get it too the top 16.... and that was they're third year with the same chassis. The sky was trashed after round three, couldnt even go 2 whole events before things going wrong with it as if it was ever right.

My point is, this is just a hypothesis.... this car will fail.

But i dont expect seeing many of these new cars until at least the second round.... my sights are on long beach right now.

Comment

slapshot

that tire rule is over

read page 30 of the rule book, they dont have a designated choice of tires anymore

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                              slapshot

that tire rule is over

read page 30 of the rule book, they dont have a designated choice of tires anymore
                              I'm competing this year and I know for a fact the tire rule is STILL in effect

might want to edit your posts

Comment

Originally posted by cfrost View Post
                                I'm competing this year and I know for a fact the tire rule is STILL in effect

might want to edit your posts

Yea, i spoke to soon on that.

Appendix C is only located in the website, I got a printed homemade version of the rule book.

I could have sworn though they announce they were dropping that rule at SEMA.

Looks like they might have to add federal on that list though

Comment

Working...
                                X