(FEEDBACK) D1 GRAND PRIX USA May 2, 2009 Anaheim, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Guy View Post
    Oh boy, after reading all of this i'm really looking forward to D1 miami.
    if you didn't buy your ticket yet and still want to go just remember that if you buy VIP you can only sit in VIP and arent allowed in the regular bleachers which might have a better view and seating. well this was the case at anaheim. maybe itll change.

Comment

Did anyone else noticed the big dip in what they where calling section 2 that was throwing the drivers off it was making them loose speed. D1 go back to irwindale no more stadium track layouts and please don't promote stuff that you wont do please open pits what a joke biggest buildout drift track yeah right. Who from d1 japan suggested to change the track layout it seemed the track layout was change to be easier for the amateur drifters not competitive at all.

Comment

I doubt they changed the track layout because some drivers had a lack of skill, remember there were pro-am guys with similar skill levels running the redbull world championship event. It was probably just poor planning and space being too tight that they had to change the track.

And they probably stick with parking lots because it's a lot cheaper than using a racetrack.

I still don't know about this series, it just seems like nopi drift being run by hin, and they slap the d1 name all over it. I think they would do a lot better if they just did a d1sl series, keep it somewhat small, and just have pro-am drivers compete.

Comment

First off. I Wasn't there. I just have a short rant

I love D1 because sun rain or snow, you are going to see amazing driving. I dont care if the vendors, all that other crap sucked. When I go, I go to watch the driving. Def looks like there weren't as many japanese drivers as there have been in the past... disappointing. Ross Petty has gone way higher in my book for doing this event. For the rest of falken who didn't go, Pathetic. As far as US drivers go I never care if millen, hubinette or foust are gonna be there cause I just see drifting to them as a career, money. Team falken is supposed to be at any D1 or FD event regardless if the event will be a failure. Falken let me down. Good job to allllll the US drivers who went and killed it.

you guys cant honestly get mad at them for bringing their back up cars. they still kill it, the cars are still awesome. I don't think any of you big talkers could afford to ship your main cars back and for all through out the summer and expect all the cars to make it back and forth through customs and on time for all their events. With the US Series, some of these drivers are competing in 3 D1 series as well as doing their own events.

I cant wait for the PA event.

oh. and the announcer sounded like a cali surfer douche. fire him. I would rather just hear some japanese guys screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post

I love D1 because sun rain or snow, you are going to see amazing driving. I dont care if the vendors, all that other crap sucked. When I go, I go to watch the driving. Def looks like there weren't as many japanese drivers as there have been in the past... disappointing. Ross Petty has gone way higher in my book for doing this event. For the rest of falken who didn't go, Pathetic. As far as US drivers go I never care if millen, hubinette or foust are gonna be there cause I just see drifting to them as a career, money. Team falken is supposed to be at any D1 or FD event regardless if the event will be a failure. Falken let me down. Good job to allllll the US drivers who went and killed it.

you guys cant honestly get mad at them for bringing their back up cars. they still kill it, the cars are still awesome. I don't think any of you big talkers could afford to ship your main cars back and for all through out the summer and expect all the cars to make it back and forth through customs and on time for all their events. With the US Series, some of these drivers are competing in 3 D1 series as well as doing their own events.

oh. and the announcer sounded like a cali surfer douche. fire him. I would rather just hear some japanese guys screaming.
            you do realize that Formula D Atlanta is this weekend right? They probably werent there bc there were preparing for the weekend, as in shipping their cars across the country or last minute preparations to their cars so that they are in top shape. They wouldnt want to damage or wreck their cars a weekend before event

Comment

To all asking about Nomura, he didn't qualify. On all 3 of his qualifying runs he had some big mistakes. He just didn't have a handle on this course I guess.

Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
              I doubt they changed the track layout because some drivers had a lack of skill, remember there were pro-am guys with similar skill levels running the redbull world championship event. It was probably just poor planning and space being too tight that they had to change the track.
              Actually no, the others are right on this one. I talked to a couple of people and they even had the other layout set up I guess. The Japanese drivers suggested it because there were only like 8 professional quality drivers there and they wanted it to be a bit more even and safe for most of the others.

As far as the event is concerned there were some really good things. The driving was really good and I was really impressed with Wang, I'm shocked this is the first I've heard about this guy.

The announcer was an idiot. It was really dissapointing how little this guy knew.

I was getting kind of pissed about the judging towards the end too. It felt like they were rushing it along. I'm sorry, but that last round NEEDED to be a sudden death. And they were completely one sided towards the American drivers. I mean I completely understand wanting to root for the home team, but between the announcer and the semi biased judging, kinda hurts the event.

__________________________________________________ _

I gotta question for you all though. Did everyone else have a bunch of complete noobs surrounding you in the stands? I had one guy who though he was being smart by explaining to someone that you loose points if you're driving without all your body parts intact.

I don't know what's happening to the fan base as of late, but damnit, we need to take back the sport.

Comment

The Good
                1. Japanese Drivers
                2. Forrest Wang
                3. Finally a drift event that was close to home ( I live in Anaheim)
                4. I didnt pay to go to this event. Thank you Drifting.com
                5. Made me think how our top drivers would do against D1 drivers

The Bad
                1. Not enough Japanese Drivers
                2. The track was to slow for my taste
                3. I wish i saw more intense tandem battles
                4. Over priced drinks
                5. Long lines to wait in to go get food
                6. Nothing VIP about the VIP area
                7. You needed like 4 or 5 wrist bands to be able to walk everywhere
                8. Security at the exit was a punk and needed to be checked and put in his place

The Ugly
                1. Drift Box
                2. The Judges
                3. Announcer
                4. Nothing started in time and took to much time in between
                5. Will Call line was longer than general admission line

This was my first D1 event ever. With that being said it was the biggest let down(at least for me). This event shouldnt have been called D1 instead it should have been called "Drifting at Angel Stadium...with some D1 drivers". I feel D1 could have done a better job putting this event together hell i know could have done a better job doing it myself. I just dont like it when things are done half a$$. As a fan and supporter of drifting and other motorsports dont let this happen again. Do it big and do it right. I am not a hater by any means i just hate to see so much potential gone to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post

Okay, missed your rant. Right off the bat you made all your rants null and void, you weren't there. Yes, the Japanese did drive great, BUT there were only about 6 of them that bothered to show up, that's our main issue.

And on the Cali Surfer comment, I'm a california surfer, so you can piss off.

Comment

So, what is the general opinion on "pro" drifting now?

I see a lot of negativity towards it, both on the net as well as in person at the events.
                    Last edited by Brian; 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post

I see a lot of negativity towards it, both on the net as well as in person at the events.
                      Well, it depends on where you're at I guess. At an event like the world championship, the pro croud was great 'cause there's definatlely a skill level that most amatuer's aren't at. But over all, the amatuer stuff is where it's at. The wide variaty of skill level's and style really make it awesome.

Comment

i must say i was sad to see were d1 landed very bad turn out
                        and happy to see kelvin a friend do very good and that black s13 should of won it if you were wearing apink wristband you could walk anywere drinks were to damn expensive 5 dollars for a 16 onces soda that just crazy but then i found out there were free in the pits but all in all it was ok event not as good as 06-07

Comment

Originally posted by fcpmarcus View Post
                          you do realize that Formula D Atlanta is this weekend right? They probably werent there bc there were preparing for the weekend, as in shipping their cars across the country or last minute preparations to their cars so that they are in top shape. They wouldnt want to damage or wreck their cars a weekend before event
                          I know that. I like to think that Falken is for the fans, not really allll about the money. Just saying I'm dissapointed they didn't make that effort. Thats why I gave Ross Petty serious props. I know he will be in ATL with that car. If there is anyteam that could have mechanical issues w/ a travel time crunch, Falken is it. Just suprised Drift Alliance and specifically JR wasn't there with out at least some sort of back-up or loaner car.

I'm not angry or suprised of the low turn out of US or Japanese drivers.

Originally posted by eomund240 View Post
                          Okay, missed your rant. Right off the bat you made all your rants null and void, you weren't there. Yes, the Japanese did drive great, BUT there were only about 6 of them that bothered to show up, that's our main issue.

And on the Cali Surfer comment, I'm a california surfer, so you can piss off.
                          you say it like they really didn't bother to show up. You do realize it is a big investment for just one driver to ship a car and himself back and forth from Japan. If you want to see the D1GP series, go to japan.

And I said Cali Surfer Douche.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post

I think among the core crowd, it has become a big let down because of the publicity, money, and other things that come with a growing sport. I imagine that skaters and some moto-X groups feel the same thing about their sports.

Personally, I think the way drifting is growing is great for the grassroots guys. The more popular, the more the new core fans want to try. The more they want to try, hopefully, the more they find grassroots events and participate. It also, in my opinion again, legitimizes the sport as the action sport that will grow into the X-Games or will create it's own version of the X. I still want to see us (the automotive action sport athletes) have our own spot light. Where rally, autocross, drift, gymkhana, and more gather together to celebrate all things auto sport and that fans of each can come together and enjoy a display of great drivers.

Also, I've gotten to know Will (the announcer) through working with Nitro2Go and he's not a douche.

Comment

Damn, I don't have too say much just leave little cliff notes of stuff I agree did not like either.

No open pits (did not see a single non american driver until the event was over)

Too big of a car show

Too small of a course, and had a big *Censored**Censored**Censored* tijuana dip in it.

VIP was a joke, I thought we were going to be sitting on top of a rig like at redbull. (thank god I didn't pay for it, thank you drifting.com)

Sublime was dope

The stunt show was pretty cool (never seen one in person)

DRIFTBOX SUCKS!!!!!!!!!, This made less experienced drivers run really odd lines just too f*ck with the drift box into thinking it was a good run. It is useless, get rid of it... its not that cool. I don't know whats worst, drift box or Andriette.

And yes, there was a few noobs.... who laughed and looked at me weird when I started chanting one more "one more time". Asked kinda odd questions about the cars but that didn't bring me down, I tried to educate since the announcer did not. Did not bother me much.

I honestly feel that D1 made lots of money off this event, probably more then FD at long beach.... but was it really worth of disgracing the name of the company? This was honestly the 2nd worst drift event I have ever attended.

The judging was cool for the most part in tandem except for Cox vs Denofa.... yea its a good story for a broke down driver to go so deep in competition but Cox honestly won that. He had a smooth consistant line all day long, I cant really see why he lost. And as far as the final with Daigo and Kumo, I think it could have gone one more time to decide a winner especially when it was clear that kumo had a slight advantage going into a decision. How can forest go OMT with kumo 3 times to find a winner and this one only taking one.

Seriously, Mr Announcer.... never say "a certain other american series" or "you wont find better drifting then this", Jarod never put down D1 like that. And he has never not said the words D1 or Japanese Series as if he didnt want too mention you guys. No class.

This was like nopi on roids, plus a few Japanese drivers.

Not coming back next year unless they make drastic changes....

I pledge alliegance to Formula D from here on out.

Comment

Few more notes,

The line were retarded, the media will call was the last window at the last booth, I did not know that and waited 20 minutes in line just to be told you stood in the wrong will call window.... they all say will call even the other line but it had a small sign above that said industry will call. The lady didn't even try to help me out either... never had this problem at FD.

And seriously, if your a title sponsor please come with a better presence. I wanted to actually buy some Enos gear oil... but the rep kinda treated me as if I didn't. I asked him how much, well "most places charge between 8-10 dollars a quart"... well my friend I got a pocket fully of money sell me some!!!!

And talking to some other guys who were out there... I think something other then the 1 week between the 2 events had something to do with the lack of FD drivers. Jeff Jones racing was there but decided to support another team. I think his car was in the pits as well. And Ross was suppose to be "testing for atlanta", reason for being at D1.

Its more then just travel logistics, with that being said I still stand by FD.
                                Last edited by Bebop; 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X