(FEEDBACK) D1 GRAND PRIX USA May 2, 2009 Anaheim, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post
    That's what competition is all about. If FD plants are right next to your D1 plants in a store, which plants do you think will be purchased by a consumer? The strong, viable FD plants for sure. Consumers want the most for their money.
    You and I agree right there, the FD guys will be lavished over. I can't and won't argue that wouldn't be the case. But, that is why I say D1USA needs it's own Pros. Not just the Japanese guys, but US drivers as well.

You also stated that the "market is the water". Do you really think there is enough water around to waste as your waiting for the D1 plant to grow? Not in today's economy. Most farmers grow crops with the hopes of making $$$$$$. If a specific crop doesn't grow, they either change crops or get out of the business.
    I think people are underestimating the market. Is it as strong as it was two or three years ago, no and factory motorsports backing is going to go away for a while. If you work at a dealership, your life sucks right about now (I hear it from my dad and brother all the time). However, if you work at a "Mom and Pop" parts store or at a local garage, you're probably doing way better than the dealer guys. I definately see that working for NAPA, there are days that I have to come off the counter and drive a truck to deliver the parts that are getting stacked on the delivery shelf. So the market is out there, you have to dig to find it though.

Like I said before, your ideas are great with regards to creating a platform for newcomers and grassroots guys.

How do you expect the grassroots and newcomers to afford traveling around to all the D1 venues in order to compete? That's just not logical.

Or do you expect D1 to bring their 6 drivers to the venues and have an open competition against local drivers? That would really devalue D1's status if they turn their series into a traveling "Pros vs Joes" show.
    Well, those who can afford it will make it. That's just simply how it's going to work. Same thing in FD, those who can afford it will make it. This is the time, right now and if they performed well (making it into the show or even the Super16), for those grassroots and newcomers to step up their marketing game. They have proof to show, "hey, I'm getting exposure, you better sign up with me now because I'll only start asking for more as I grow bigger." And until D1USA gets its' developed US Pros, it will be Pros Vs Joes.

However, at the same time, what better use of a marketing ploy than to use the US favorite of the "underdog vs the overdog?"

Comment

*** DISCLAIMER - This post is ENTIRELY my opinion, and my opinion alone. This doesn't represent any company, driver, series, or anyone else, and should not be taken as fact. *****

I disagree that there's enough "water" to go around.

If a company has $20k to spend, there's basically 3 ways they can spend it:
      - $20k on an event sponsorship
      - $20k on sponsoring 1 driver (title sponsor for a grass-roots driver, associate sponsor for a bigger name driver)
      - $10k on sponsoring 2 drivers (associate sponsor)

If there are 2 series, then any money that goes towards D1 is directly removed from a driver. Personally, I've noticed that D1 had substantially less media than FD did, so the exposure of that series is noticeably less, making less return on investment for drivers in that series. Granted, the MAJORITY of the drivers in that series don't have a single dollar of sponsorship money in their pocket... but that's also why this is bad. All the sponsorship in the series is going into the pocket of the event itself and not trickling down to the drivers. If that company spends $20k, and doesn't feel that they got $20k worth of sponsorship out of the deal, they are likely to NEVER invest a single dollar into drifting again because they feel it's not worth it. Looking back at some of the previous sponsors of D1, I feel that is exactly what has happened on more than one occasion. Companies believe the proposal they are given from D1, invest money, don't feel that they get the return they were expecting, and write off the sport completely. This is VERY VERY bad for the longevity of the sport.

If I was in charge of sponsorship at a company that was looking to get exposure through drifting, I would not be putting my money into D1GP. The bang-for-dollar appears to be MUCH higher with FD, especially if you are sponsoring on an individual driver level. I'd give a driver like JTP, Joon Maeng, Drift Patrol Dan Pina, or Quoc Ly a $10k cash sponsorship because I feel that I'd get a lot more exposure and publicity from that than I would from sponsoring D1's series, or any D1 Driver.

Actually, I take that back - I feel that Forrest Wang is worthy of sponsorship. His track record in NOPI Drift and his success at the recent D1 event shows that he's very worthy of a sponsor. I don't know what his deal with Full Race is, but I think their sponsorship of Forrest is a perfect example of what a little cash and product in the hands of the right driver can do. I feel Forrest is the LONE D1 driver worthy of money, and is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

If Full Race were to sponsor the D1 series, they wouldn't get nearly as much exposure as they do through Forrest. Both of his 14's and his 13 always sound amazing, and they seem to out-perform nearly any other S-chassis car at these events. I don't QUITE feel that he's at the level of competing at FD, but if I was Full Race, I'd work with Forrest to increase my sponsorship with him to ensure he has the resources to compete in FD. I feel that his skill is there, he just needs the financial and manpower resources to be competitive (as well as an FD legal car ). Again, this isn't to call Full Race out for NOT stepping up, it's just an observation from an outside party.

That's just my personal opinion, not representative of any company / driver / series / etc...
      Last edited by Slapshotnerd; 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Eh, I don't know then, I just feel that it's good that the upper echelon of FD didn't enter. I also feel that D1USA is the best bet for the up-and-coming drifter to get noticed, sponsored and move up to bigger and better things.

'least, that's my plan

Comment

Justin - that would require D1GP to ACCEPT the fact that they are NOT the top tier of drifting in the US. That's 1 thing that D1GP refuses to do. Have you read their press releases? everything emphasizes the fact that they are the BEST / BIGGEST / NEWEST / COOLEST thing in town....

there's a lot more to this discussion, but I don't think it's necessary to post it on this forum. Bottom line is that D1 doesn't seem satisfied being portrayed as anything less than the best organization out there, and their sponsorship packages are priced and sold as if they are the top tier of drifting

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
            Justin - that would require D1GP to ACCEPT the fact that they are NOT the top tier of drifting in the US. That's 1 thing that D1GP refuses to do. Have you read their press releases? everything emphasizes the fact that they are the BEST / BIGGEST / NEWEST / COOLEST thing in town....

there's a lot more to this discussion, but I don't think it's necessary to post it on this forum. Bottom line is that D1 doesn't seem satisfied being portrayed as anything less than the best organization out there, and their sponsorship packages are priced and sold as if they are the top tier of drifting
            Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I like their approach to getting people into competition. You come to qualify for the event, you prove you're competent enough make it, you're in. No need for the wait of a full season or for one special event to get into a higher tier of drifting, you have the ability to enter the driver's search before every event.

Comment

D1gp usa + Drift box = SUX

Comment

Originally posted by ReDc0aT View Post
                you guys cant honestly get mad at them for bringing their back up cars. they still kill it, the cars are still awesome. I don't think any of you big talkers could afford to ship your main cars back and for all through out the summer and expect all the cars to make it back and forth through customs and on time for all their events.

I think I do have good reason to get mad about this when different promo materials, such as video clips, flyers, and webpage show the jdm vehicles sliding around. That my friend is deception!

And in regards to the money aspect, these aren't pro am drivers were talking about, but rather the best of the best top sponsored drivers with major financial backing, aka Blitz, Vertex, Greddy. Its about $2000 to ship a car each way across the pacific. So D1 should have forked up the money for those four cars for the Japanese drivers that made it, if not at least cover some of the cost. The stupid $5 a can of pepsi sales should have more than covered that.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool510 View Post

Holding a competive series in the US and not having the top drivers of the US competing is not competiton. That's "PROS vs JOES."

I am going to copyright "HOT IMPORT DAYS" right now.

lol "Pros vs Joes"!!! That is very well put in describing that day! By the time drivers are filtered to the Super 16 it should have been competitive. Especially by the Elite 8! But nope, it was pros vs joes until the last four!

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
                    They should of had a 3rd place match between wang and Ueno.
                    Yes I was scratching my head waiting for a 3rd place battle. I was really hoping to see if Forrest could take down another top Japanese drifter. But they just gave Forrest the 3rd place podium . . .

Comment

• I'm really glad they're back. I could do without the driftbox, gumball, and car show nonsense, but as a new series, I suppose their goal is to attract/appeal to as many spectators as possible, cant get mad at that.

D1USA is not the D1GP from the older Irwindale years, I think you guys have to realize that before yelling out how its sucks, etc. Every new series is gonna start off slow. Really gotta stop barking how Tsuchiya isn't there etc. (What difference does it make anyway? He's would be sitting in a chair all day.) Its just starting out again guys, give it a chance before complaining so much. I really hope eventually they can make it big, I feel there is a lot of potential! From this we can get some more American pros and who knows, maybe get some other skilled Japanese drivers out here like Taniguchi or Orido.

Another thing that I find good about D1 is the fact that they're making the effort to share their pro drifters/cars here with us. I'm a Formula D fan, I'm happy they're here, but I'm tired of the same old drivers and ugly *Censored**Censored**Censored* cars. To tell you the truth most of those drivers still aren't as good as the D1 pros.

I'll definitely support D1USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
                        I'm really glad they're back. I could do without the driftbox, gumball, and car show nonsense, but as a new series, I suppose their goal is to attract/appeal to as many spectators as possible, cant get mad at that.

D1USA is not the D1GP from the older Irwindale years, I think you guys have to realize that before yelling out how its sucks, etc. Every new series is gonna start off slow. Really gotta stop barking how Tsuchiya isn't there etc. (What difference does it make anyway? He's would be sitting in a chair all day.) Its just starting out again guys, give it a chance before complaining so much. I really hope eventually they can make it big, I feel there is a lot of potential! From this we can get some more American pros and who knows, maybe get some other skilled Japanese drivers out here like Taniguchi or Orido.

Another thing that I find good about D1 is the fact that they're making the effort to share their pro drifters/cars here with us. I'm a Formula D fan, I'm happy they're here, but I'm tired of the same old drivers and ugly *Censored**Censored**Censored* cars. To tell you the truth most of those drivers still aren't as good as the D1 pros.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Unfortunately, event politics are beyond most of us and hopefully they're taking our feedback into consideration for future events.

Comment

• STOP USING THE TERM WORLD BEST DRIFTERS BECAUSE THERE ONLY LIKE 7 OF THEM THE REST ARE A BUNCH OF AMATEURS WITH ALL MY RESPECT.SEE D1 THIS TERMS IS WHAT GETS YOU GUYS IN TROUBLE.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord_EJR View Post
                            D1USA is not the D1GP from the older Irwindale years, I think you guys have to realize that before yelling out how its sucks, etc. Every new series is gonna start off slow. . .

I hear you, but why I'm "yelling out how it sucks, etc." is because it wasn't advertised that way. Do you get it? Its being over sold as something it isn't. If I had know this is a "new series and its gonna start off slow" I wouldn't have paid $60 for me and my wife to go and invited two of my close friends who spent another $60 and paid $15 for parking.

Comment

• Originally posted by drift2thextreme View Post

STOP USING THE TERM WORLD BEST DRIFTERS BECAUSE THERE ONLY LIKE 7 OF THEM THE REST ARE A BUNCH OF AMATEURS WITH ALL MY RESPECT.SEE D1 THIS TERMS IS WHAT GETS YOU GUYS IN TROUBLE.
                              Dude calm down. Other drift competitions do the same crap and we all know thats not true.

In this case it might not be so far from the truth, think about it.
                              • Kumakubo
                              • Tanaka
                              • Nomuken
                              • Daigo
                              • Ueno
                              • Yoshioka
                              • Imamura

There are a few on this list that actually qualify to be called the best in the world. Also, who knows, this competition could be home to the next great American drift star. How will saying that get them in trouble? The top D1 guys wipe the floor with most of the other drifters from around the world.

Honestly, whats up with people and all the negative feelings towards D1? I understand America has its own series and I'm a big fan of it but this hate I hear towards D1 is pretty ridiculous. People were saying its gonna suck before it even happened. So they had some problems before, its in the past man, time to move on.

@ 808drift818, I totally understand where you are coming from. There have been so many times that I went to Formula D and was pissed off to hell at how disappointed I was at the show. A lot of the complaints I heard are the same complaints I hear about Formula D after all these years. Schedules are never on time, MC's usually dont appeal to everyone, and god awful hiphop is always on the loud speaker for some reason. Happens all the time at every event. However, this time we get to see Team Orange, Nomuken, D1 champ Daigo, etc. Its not everyday you get to see those guys on our shores with those damn sweet rides too! In the end gotta take the good with the bad as you probably know.

Comment

• Originally posted by 808drift818 View Post
                                Yes I was scratching my head waiting for a 3rd place battle. I was really hoping to see if Forrest could take down another top Japanese drifter. But they just gave Forrest the 3rd place podium . . .
                                You know whats funny about this? If they would've done a 3rd place battle and Ueno some how beat Forrest, you would see so many people screaming here about D1 took away 3rd place from Forrest. Its a scam! yadda yadda cry a river stories. I'm cool with congratulating Forest on kicking butt with Kumakubo and taking home 3rd. Think about it, the 2 guys above Forrest are pretty much the best in the world right now, quite the accomplishment for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X