X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (FEEDBACK) FORMULA D ATLANTA May 8-9th 2009

(FEEDBACK) FORMULA D ATLANTA May 8-9th 2009

Please post your feedback on this thread

1 of the best events I've ever been to. I woulda liked 10 degrees cooler and 20% less humidity, but the rest was great!

I am curious to see how the whole tire situation pans out. I don't quite understand what happened, so I'm anxious to find out what happened and what this means for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
      1 of the best events I've ever been to. I woulda liked 10 degrees cooler and 20% less humidity, but the rest was great!

I am curious to see how the whole tire situation pans out. I don't quite understand what happened, so I'm anxious to find out what happened and what this means for the rest of the season.
      well whad they say at the event? did j-rod just say pat was dq'd without an explanation at all?

Comment

Great event, I had a awesome time. Only thing that sucked was I forgot to bring sunscreen and got a really nice sunburn but thats my fault so lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hach1r0k1d03 View Post
          well whad they say at the event? did j-rod just say pat was dq'd without an explanation at all?
          Yeah, all they said was he was DQ'd because of technical reasons. No other explanation. At least none I could hear (the PA system was pretty bad at times, at least where we were).

Pros:
          Good crowd on Saturday (couldn't make it on Friday). Good section of track to view for spectators. Lines weren't too bad at the food vendors (though maybe I hit them at the right times). Drivers really gave a great effort and genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves. The Pit area was kinda cool. For the most part you could get right up to the cars and drivers.

Cons:
          PA system. A little hot and humid during the afternoon. seating wasn't all that great unless you remembered or knew to bring your own chairs (and coolers and food). parking was good until it was time to leave.

Observations/opinions:
          The course seemed to favor (IMO) the higher-powered cars because of the uphill Horseshoe section of the course.

I pretty much agreed with the judging except in two races: I though Gushi should have won his last round, and I thought Maeng's last round (to determine 3rd place) should have never gone to the last OMT.

Forsberg was a machine out there! He ran his car extremely tight and consistantly. So did D-Mac, but I think the best car/driver won last night.

Overall, we really had a great time and will be back again next year!

Thanks to Drifting.com for the free ticket! And thanks to all the drivers for putting on a great show!

Last edited by raiste; 05-11-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I would have to agree with everyone that the Atlanta event was one of the best events I have ever been to. When I pulled up at 10 AM the place was already getting crowed and the event did not start till 3 or 4. Every driver kicked *Censored**Censored**Censored* and I was most impressed with Joon. Joon thank you for putting such a great show on and to watch Chris drive is amazing.

GaryG

Comment

I've been to every Formula D drift Atlanta and this by far was the most competitive. Previous years had about 8 to 10 drivers that were at the top skill level and in dependable vehicles but this year was at least 25.

Jarod and the judges where great but I wish they would work out a system for commenting and relaying decisions that don't drag into the next run. Maybe put a head mic on all four people, have JRod do the play-by-play, the judges add color and let them read the judgements.

My only disappointments were the Tanner Foust spin which I think was intentionally caused by Gushi, and Pat Moulderant's disqualification. The way Pat and Tanner were driving Saturday they would have definitely seen the podium but that's drifting.

Thanks Drifting.com for the free Ticket. Can't wait till next year.

Comment

In an attempt to be objective and non-bias, I too felt that was one of the best FD events we have had in terms of attendance but more importantly crowd vibe and competition. Everyone on our staff was in agreement. ATL brings it big time. Jarod did an amazing job and his knowledge of each of the teams and his delivery is par excellence. He has truly emerged as a tremedous live announcer.

For those of you that missed it there were some runs that were straight up ridiculous. I should be able to get a few vids and post it. Patrick Mordaunt impressed the hell out of me big time. Seriously, this kid is for real. It was unfortunate that he got DQ'd. More will come out on this I and we will in the proper forum, but that is why we treat FD just like any other high level motor sport and not a wild wild west with no rules or enforcement. That aside, Pat killed it as well as all the other guys. A new level of drifting has happened and what I am seeing now is a true treat. Having seen every single run personally the past 6 years, never have I seen so many unbelievable runs and the addition of top 32 tandem is possibly one of the best decisions we have made. There were naysayers that were critical of it, but now it is clear that 32 rank and number 1 will put on a sick show. No doubt about it.

ATL, you guys are amazing!

Comment

I promise if you make the event saturday/sunday in the future you will see at least double the turnout. I have friends that work saturdays that haven't been able to go to Drift Atlanta since 2004 because of the day change.

Comment

From what I have seen, there is PLENTY of rule breaking that goes on.
                    At round 1, a majority of the field should have been disqualified.

I know you guys want to make drifting more and more legitimate, so please consider enforcing ALL of the rules instead of some, sometimes.

You are on your way to doing very well (and you HAVE done very well already), but in MY opinion, set rules and follow them, or just don't make them in the first place.

Comment

Top 32 tandem was one of the those duh, why didn't anyone think of this before type of things. I wouldn't be surprised if D1 decides to change their format.

Comment

I promise if you make the event saturday/sunday in the future you will see at least double the turnout. I have friends that work saturdays that haven't been able to go to Drift Atlanta since 2004 because of the day change.
                        Not in ATL bro. Mothers Day is Sunday, one of the most notorious weakest days for events historically.

Comment

Not in ATL bro. Mothers Day is Sunday, one of the most notorious weakest days for events historically.

From what I have seen, there is PLENTY of rule breaking that goes on.
                          At round 1, a majority of the field should have been disqualified.

I know you guys want to make drifting more and more legitimate, so please consider enforcing ALL of the rules instead of some, sometimes.

You are on your way to doing very well (and you HAVE done very well already), but in MY opinion, set rules and follow them, or just don't make them in the first place.
                          Brian, I agree with you and ironically every team says that about every team; even those with the most vanilla builds. So to say that you really have to know the full grasp of each issue and the verbiage and further interpreataton of that verbiage in the rulebook to be able to say that with 100% assurance. However, at the level we are at now with the number of competitors, like in many motor sports, people try to get whatever edge they can. If we catch it an issue, we address it, but if a team thinks we are wrong or missed something, they have every right to submit a formal protest and we are required to act on it as we did on Saturday.

This season Randy has been ultra firm on the rulebook. Ask those that got DQ'd in LB. Aside from that, this is one of the reasons why besides event techs we have a pre-season tech day to issue "Annuals". Teams have this opportunity to spend all day on a lift and have us go through the car with a fine tooth comb. This is their opportunity to not be limited by time and get a very thorough inspection. Even deeper irony is that those that took advantage of that day had zero issues with their legality while those that chose NOT to attend had issues. Coincidence? Some small, some big, but the point is they have to prove to us the car is legal.

Top 32 tandem was one of the those duh, why didn't anyone think of this before type of things. I wouldn't be surprised if D1 decides to change their format.
                          More irony.... it was people in and around that group that were critical of us going to that format. We have seen some of the most exciting drifting to date in the round of 32. Did anyone see Dai vs Mordaunt. Whoa!

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                            I know this particular sunday wouldn't make sense but for the past 5 years you've changed it to friday/saturday. Just give it some thought please. Saturday as a primer, Sunday will be even more off the hook.
                            Last edited by my 1 88 u; 05-10-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I know this particular sunday wouldn't make sense but for the past 5 years you've changed it to friday/saturday. Just give it some thought please. Saturday as a primer, Sunday will be off the hook.
                              Agree 100 percent. Track traditionally gives us Mothers Day though so we have to work with what we get.

Comment

Working...
                              X