No announcement yet.

Why on Earth a VIPER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think what needs to be done from the start is to have different classes of cars similar to this:

Stock: This would be the budget class for guys with mostly stock cars. (ex CH's budget drifter project)

Modified Stock: Street cars like Revlimits Camaro or Benson HSU's Sileighty that have been modified for drifting but still are daily drivers.

Super Stock: The highest steet class. Run what ya brung but cars have to be fully insured and licensed. This means that the car has to be reliable and streetable. This is where you'll see the fastest streetable drifters. EX: Signal's "Drifter X" Sileighty

Unlimited stock: Completely unlimited but must retain factory unibody. Ex: Nob's S15 and Rhys's GTO

Misc rules for all stock classes up to and including Super stock:
    1. Must retain factory mounting points for suspension (unless it's a bolt on kit like a tubular k-member or torque arm suspension for a 5.0 or something of the like)
    2. No tube frame construction of any kind, but full chassis bracing is allowed.
    3. Roll cage requirements similar to road racing
    4. All stock vehicles are to be required to complete a 30 mile cruise without a chase crew. A stalled vehicle must be able to restart with an automotive style starter (no external starters) and continue motion on it's own (no push starts). After the cruise the cars are put in the pits for a short cool down. No work will be allowed on the cars until competition starts, and then only required mantenance, tire changes, etc. Teams are allowed engine changes only in case of catastrophic and unexpected failure. No breaking the engine on purpose to put in a hotter motor is allowed.
    5. All stock classes must have proof-of-insurance, be licensed for street use, have all necesary street equipment in working order (lights blinkers, etc), plus accumulate a minimum amount of miles over the year. (different minimums for different classes)

Format: runs are made for speed and style, with rewards given for best style, fastest time, best appearing and best engineered. At the end there's an open round where any 2 cars from any class can battle, plus a freestyle jam session at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth

Everyone feels differently about it and there is no right answer. No ones opinion is ignorant and no ones opinion is the right one.

right on.

Comment

• Yea I know GM wouldn't sponsor my car becuase I drive a 84 Camaro which isn't produced anymore. Sadly I wouldn't really even be able to get sponsorships from most aftermarket part companies. I approached a few of them about sponsorship and they didn't even know what drifting was! Sadly for domestic drifters it's extremely hard to find sponsors. Though hopefully I'll be able to find some one day.

Comment

• I dunno, I think the current rules are great. I dont think professional drifting needs classes based off equipment. I mean, they've already had this "problem" in Japan, and it wasnt really a problem. Do you think any of the AE86 drivers in the Japan D1 complain that some of the other drivers push over 500hp? I dont know how many times I've watched a sub 200hp AE86 take out the 400-500hp cars. Alot of things play into who wins, the most important being driver skill, and vehicle tune. The power output of a well tuned car will match the weight of the car and driving style, and thats that. The larger, heavier cars usually have more power, and the smaller lighter cars usually have less. I'm sure the guys that dont win are unhappy, but I doubt they blame their loss on power output.

I was watching another D1GP Option Vid Last night (2001 Round 3) paying attention to the the sponsorships and power outputs (in relation to tire sizes hehe). I was supprised to see that two of the drivers that made the top 32 were not sponsored by anyone, and one driver had 1 sponsor. I guess it happens more than I thought! Good stuff!! I was also supprised to see a few (3) guys sponsored by Nismo

I'm also pretty sure Chevy would not sponsor older cars. If they went for sponsorship, you'd see a Z06 out there drifting. Thats just how its gonna be for us USA guys. Just like Revlimit said, if you try for sponsorships from USA part manufacturers, they dont even know what drifting is (I was told the same stuff). I also think you won't find any "tuner shops" sponsoring any USA guys because the domestic USA crowd never really got into "tuning" like the Japanese guys. For the domestic guys, its more about building a matched combo and see what happens. Not hours and hours spent on a dyno to gain 10hp. I dunno, just differences in the way the two types of cars are modified affect how they are sponsored IMO.
          Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 04-15-2004, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• heh. those rules arent bad...

Comment

• why all of a suden every one wants to change the rules. Its run what ya brung and best of luck to all ya. Dont change the rules to somthing that is new to you. Get better at it and succeed. Dudes my car isnt the fastes or the best handeling but I can hold my own a a touge with some of the best.

Some days you win some days you dont. Look at Kumakubo and KFC these guys have stood on the podium together and have yet to win the series. They dont want a rule change.

Comment

• damn... took me so long to read those 8 pages i had to re login. anywayz...i dont really know what to say.. i dont like the ideal of a full factory backed car drifting... and like nissanguy i dont want to see super cars drifting. i want to be able to go and buy a car that most drifters use that has a great after market following. if i had the money to buy a viper what use would it be to drift it? what companies make viper drift parts? thers really no huge aftermarket like there is for the s-13 or rx-7. i want a car that cheap to replace parts and easy to find parts for. i blew a head gasket on my viper. thats gunna cost me $6000. i blew a head gasket on my rx-7. ill go buy that one off ebay for $50. no just kidding. if mopar wants to sponser a viper to drift in formula d... whatever... i cant stop em. if poeple arent going to like it.. maybe theyll rethink it. i would like to see a mustang drifting with an aftermarket for drifting parts. how easy is it for you to find drifting parts for your camaro CH? if your going to certain car to drift... you have to make sure theres a good aftermarket for your car or its going to get expensive with custom work.

i dont know. i want to build my drift spec accord. people tell me its stupid all the time. i get teased at home for likeing drifting. my guardians b/f is always saying i wasnt one of those rice cars so i can drive sideways or something like that. typical ignoramus. people on this board (who i have flamed [woops]) have told me that its stupid. it all comes down to what YOU want to do and what you like. your not going to do something to your car that you know your not going to like or just because other people like it. if you do i consider you rice. i love REVLIMITS camaro. and CH's. i love ghosts FD. and i like my accord. thats my taste. i want to buy an El Camino and turn that into a drifter. dont know how yet but it what I want.

again it comes down to what YOU want and like. man that took forever.

Comment

• indeed. Im not saying they should ban them. But i am saying ill be cheering for the inexpensive cars that are drifting.

And i like the idea of the pro drifting mustang. Unfortionately like CH said, chances of a tuner shop or a traditional mustang aftermarket shop sponsoring a drift mustang is low. so a factory backed car is probably the best way to get it out there and get them in the door. Okay so i guess my stance is, i think factory backing is cool. But i think the GTO is heavy, i want to see a kappa car drift. And i dont like the viper because its a rich man's car, but it will be cool to watch go against more affordable cars tuned for drifting. As long as it doesnt become nascar like. I wont like that as much.

Comment

• pssh, i was drifting a viper last year. First 2003 Model in Cali too.

Comment

• What's wrong with Vipers?

Comment

• My reasons for not being a viper are fan are mostly petty, but honest.

Vipers are super cars, traditional drifting has been about relatively affordable sports cars to cheap cars.

Vipers are expensive, i am more interested in cars i have a possibility of owning.

The viper team will be spending alot more money then the other teams. And though there allowed to do that, i much prefer the smaller shops sponsoring inexpensive cars. you know the D1 cars that took 10 or 20k to build, not started at 80 grand.

Nothing is "wrong" with the viper, there are just reasons why i am not becomming a viper fan any time soon. Sure, you will say, other teams have spent alot, or FDs werent exactly cheap or whatever. These are all true, but the viper will be taking those things to the extreams. Its just preference.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24

Vipers are super cars, traditional drifting has been about relatively affordable sports cars to cheap cars.

I like that, but since drifting is getting big, companys are going to be more willing to put out cash =\

But our cheap sports car will remain dominant on the amateur scene!!

Comment

• They will on the pro scene too if we let the manufacturers know what we like. Considering this is one of the first stops for drifting its a good place to start. that press release says mopar checks out sites like this to gauge response

Comment

• Yeah but I like the Viper =\

Comment

• thats fine too. no one said you had to hate it to make your voice heard

Comment

Working...
                                X