No announcement yet.

Why on Earth a VIPER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At no point did i say a viper shouldnt be allowed to compete. I said i dont like the viper. I dont like it as a drift car. Its a cool car, but so is the enzo ferrari. But i wouldnt want to see the d1 become about high dollar sports cars. Indeed im much more interested in seeing what vehichles similar to my own can do.

As for the expensivfe FD and S15 d1 cars. Yeah a FD isnt S13 cheap is it? but a used FD, especialy in japan where they had more of them, isnt viper expensive. A used FD may not be cheap, but its not 80 grand. And yeah its race prepared. Probably stripped to the bone. actualy i've seen that FD in a magazine, it is stripped to the bone. So okay, there is a car that maybe cost 15 thousand dollars used american. yeah its expensive compared to a 86 or a s13... so why not start with a brand new 80 thousand dollar viper? theres really not much of a difference between those two are there?

Assuming the tire sponsors who are putting on the events are providing inexpensive tires, relatively speaking, to the teams. Then you could build a totally D1 worthy FD for less then 80 thousand dollars. Anyone who thinks they spent more then that on one FD.. well im having a hard imagining how they could. I can see spending that much in matinence and shipping to america and stuff. but not on the car its self.

But the viper by its self starts at those numbers.

I supose you guys will ask "who cares how much a pro team spends?" i guess i do, i care. I like the idea that a tunning company like japser automotive can become a house hold name among drifting fans, because there drift car was at the d1, twice. I like the idea that smaller shops and tunners can afford, especialy with another sponsor or two, to campiegn a D1 level car. That to me helps the drifting community. The shops sponsoring these cars will build parts for drifting, the more the better. They will sell these parts to drifters to make money for there D1 team. we will have more and better parts availible, probably for cheaper too.

Do you think dodge will have drift spec parts availible for the viper? dodge doesnt even sell the carbon fiber hood, front spoiler, and doors, they run on there awesome SRT4 rally car. (they lost over 600 lbs on that thing) The same could be said about pontiac. I doubt we will see drift spec components for the GTO. <b>Not</b> because these are <b>American</b> companys, but because these are huge companys who dont sell parts to make ends meat. they sell cars. there teams will get money wether they sell parts or not. And most likely wont sell parts, especialy not parts for drifting.

I think some of you guys with camaros and stuff should prefer to see smaller shops stay in and not larger companys. The fact is GM isnt going to sponsor a 10 or 15 year old Camaro to drift. Why not? because they dont sell 10 and 15 year old Camaros. They sell new cars. They will sponsor a new GTO to drift though. Its unfortionate, because if they did choose a older camaro they would develope parts, and if they were a smaller shop sell those parts to camaro drifters. Its just an example to show a point.

alright ill stop rambling now and let some rebuttle

Comment

i care for one. Ill put as much thought into it as i wish, this is a discussion forum, do you have a problem with discussion? and if i where you i would rapidly clean up my post. Or the moderators are going to start considering deleting your account and such.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
        You say this because you think i havent seen Ueo's 86, i have. I have touched it. His is the most modified of the d1 vehichls i've seen up close, he was missing the stock dash. There is nothing on that car that a enthusiest willing to sink 20 grand into cant emulate.. of course realisticly his engine is probably very very very highly built inorder to extract any power from that 1.6 liter in a NA build. but a small turbo could put that kind of power to the ground for a relatively cheap amount.
        no...i know you have...because i read your posts before i type

I had the opertunity to check out Ueos car at Ebisu 3 years ago. Got to meet and talk to him before anyone really cared about D1. Heck, I even got to see his black car a LONG time ago. Seriously...go check again if you can, body panels removed and replaced, things you would only be able to figure out if you spent a hella lotta time and money on the car. I think it was Moto who was saying how Ueos car isnt even really a 86 any more because of all the custom chassis work.

As you said though, nothing you cant copy with 20k budget to back you up... but then... a 20k 86 shouldnt even get close to resembling a stock 86 in any way. And if you are dropping 20k into an 86...or any other car... you are NOT the average car tuner and shouldnt have to worry about a Mopar sponsored Viper since you are most likly on the same page as them preformance wise... or should be

I higly doubt anyone would cry if Toyota threw a full sponsorship at Alex P. to drive an MR-S in Formula D for them.

What about Uenos Soarer? He dropped WAY more than 100K on it... and he hardly does well in D1.
        Last edited by Matto; 04-15-2004, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto

I higly doubt anyone would cry if Toyota threw a full sponsorship at Alex P. to drive an MR-S in Formula D for them.
          I would care I have been talkin with them for over a year now

SNIFF SNIFF

you hurt my feelings Matto im going to go cry now.

Comment

Well you probbly have more experience of his car then me, i have seen it, but its not like i've taken it apart.

I would probably be less hesitant about a full toyota MR-S then the Viper, but i'd feel alot like i do about the GTO, which is a factory sponsorship, but at a more realistic level, its still an expensive automobile relatively speaking. i was never a huge GTO fan. If your implying that people only dont like the viper becaue its america. Well that may be true for some. its true for alot of the ricers and stuff. but i think around here on this site its not that big of a deal. I can honestly say i dont care that its american. I really wouldnt be a fan of nissan putting out some 80 thousand dollar super car. But it just goes back to my not liking the ultra expensive cars.

I will always enjoy lightweight realitively inexpensive sports cars. Wouldnt mater if i had millions of dollars a ferrari out side, i would still love my inexpensive sports cars. and thats what i want to see raced you know? probably why i like drifting so much. Its not dominated by vipers and porsches and even corvettes. Not on the amature level and not on the pro level.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas
              So hawaiian, are you saying that a shop they start is a sponser? I dont think it counts, there using there OWN money, to sponser a car. Look at the Daihatsu driver, he brought that car over with his own money. Even KT, driving for Kei Office, wouldnt count as a sponser in my mind, because he is using money from his profits, his money, to build a car. And most D1 events have tire sponsers, where all the drivers can get tires for cheap, or free.
              Yes I would consider a driver owned company a sponsor if funds from the company went into building the car. You have to seperate personal finance from the company finance, regardless of who owns the company. For example, if the company made $50,000 in profit one year and the owner decides to pay himself $25,000 for his hard work. This leaves $25,000 in the company checking account. Now if the owner of the company built and maintained his car with his own personal $25,000 then I would not consider that a sponsor because the person used his own personal income. More power to that person!! But if the person used the $25,000 from the company checking account, and then wrote the car off in his taxes, then I'm sorry but this is considered sponsorship. Again, does not matter who owns the company. If the company provides funds, then the company is sponsoring the car. I think its very cool that the Daihatsu driver made it where he did on his own personal income. But what would have happened if he won the event and now needed to travel to Japan to continue competing? I'm sure you can see where this is going. I dont know KT, so I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure the Kei Office S15 was built with Kei Office company funds, and travels on Kei Office funds, not his own personal income.

Originally posted by Chas
              My point is, i have no problem with a viper, or gto, or any car that enters the d1. I have a problem with car makers, entering the scene. DAMN, i saw an add in Autoweek, and its for MOPAR, it has there viper, and it says drift. I do NOT think Dodge/Mopar has a place in the drifting scene, just as i dont think Nissan/Nismo should have a sponsered car either.
              All I can really say is that the American car manufacturers are backing themselves up because nobody else is stepping up to the plate right now. I dont see ANY American aftermarket product manufacturers insterested in sponsoring drifters because the sport is too new for them to recognize it as worthwhile, and there are very very few USA cars competing. Maybe if some USA cars and drivers started winning, then yeah they would make a name for themselves. But right now the Japan sponsored guys are so far ahead, its almost impossible for the USA cars and drivers to compete (comming from an amature level). Someone needs to set the standard for us USA guys. We all know Japan part manufacturers are not going to sponsor American made cars because they dont make parts for those cars. So if the American part manufacturers dont step up, who will? You guys gotta remember that the USA cars and drivers are entering the drifting game at 1/2 time and we're trying to play catch-up. Its inevitable that there will be differences between the way the USA approaches drifting, and the way Japan did it from the start. In any event, I dont think you guys should be worried because drifting is about skill, not the car. Who cares how much money someone has into their car or how much power it has. If they dont constantly win competitions, then how can they possibly affect the rules? The most damage they could do is say the rules are unfair to them, and then they lose respect. I would only be worried about this if the USA car makers started sponsoring Japan drivers ... then it might get out of hand.

You know, if someone came out to our local competitions with a Z06 and started drifting, I would not be making these same types of complaints. Yes the Z06 makes more HP than my modified car, and the Z06 is engineered way way better than my Camaro, but so what. If the driver does not drift as good as everyone else, then he's gonna lose.

Comment

Originally posted by battlestylespl
                please
                six whole post and nuthin but sh!t good job noob get a life somewhere else than here

Comment

seriously... how many DRIVERS are complaining about having to drive with the Viper in their run group? I would jump at the chance to try and take my 240 against the Viper! Now THATS what I call fun!

Comment

sorry guys locking the thread till spoon boy is handled.

Comment

• good lord you people post fast! go to sleep or somthing!!

Im sorry Lorin Go jump in with Mike and Jason guys on that Veilside car

ps - were you at the BM event at Ebisu this past weekend???

Comment

• Originally posted by battlestylespl
                        i was on here before and my account was closed due to inactivity....
                        thought you were going to go and actually drive?

Comment

• okay DX lock away we will restart it tomorrow okay? i still need to respond to CH's big post.

Comment

• Here's my take...

In my opinion, the Viper will be harder to drift and will require a driver who really knows his SH#%. That means that if for some odd reason a Viper does actually win, than the guy driving it must be incredible cuz that car has got to be one of the most difficult cars out there to drift. Yeah it may be easier for the Viper to initiate a drift, but maintaining it is going to require a ton of skill. I don't see the Viper winning events early on, but if they do, much respect. And I think people should respect anybody that can drift a Viper competitively.

As far as the sport is concerned, it is very similar to open wheel racing. It started very grassroots then developed into more of a motorsport production which draws thousands of people. Anytime you draw that kind of crowd, sponsors will follow.

If you think that big sponsors are going to hurt drifting I think you're wrong. I think they will help grow the sport so that it is more nationally known and more people will be able to enjoy it. We will still have our grassroots style events, but there will be more of a Pro Series that caters to the well known pro-drifters.

Think about F1. F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing and has tons of respect. Millions of people follow it. Yet you stil have the grassroots racers running the Barber series or Indy Lights Series.

We will always have grassroots drift events. But what will probably happen is that a big pro series will develop with nationally known racers that will get large exposure. Similar to F1, NASCAR, etc. And we will be the very people who want to race on that circuit cuz that's where the highest form of competition is at.

If Nissan or Nismo came in and factory backed a racer, would you all be complaining? That's just a matter of time too.

Comment

• why do you think the viper is harder to drift?

Comment

• from a pure horsepower and torque perspective, it is probably much more sensitive than the S15, AE, etc. Just my opinion though...

Comment

Working...
                                X