Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have good points man, However most of us look at it from a point of view that states women and men are equals. We dont see a point in making a big deal JUST because they are women. Which seems to be the case.

The attention surrounding drifting pretty seems to be "look girls can do what boys can do!" we dont see this as a big deal because we already realize that.

To alot of us it would be the same as going "Wow an all colored team drifting! those crazy blacks can do the same as whites after all" See how dated that sounds? To me the idea of making a fuss over the fact they are girl,. Sounds just as dated.

Theres also abit of anger around the way they are sponsored just because they are girls. The best comparison would be our friends in hawaii. There are alot of great guys in hawaii but they dont get sponsorship or any kind of backing or publicity, they get angry because they see some guy from southern california whos alright get sponsored JUST because hes from southern california.

There was alot of trash talking on this thread but there where also alot of good points and real feelings on these maters.

Comment

Theyre chicks.... and their into drifting..... where can i meet them?? Lol I think its freakin awesome that theyre into drifting. Females where im from, you start talkin about suspension , drifting, engines, anything even car related, 98% of em dont have a clue wtf your talkin about.

Now as far as the article goes, i dont think we'll ever be satisfied with an article wrote by a daily driver. because unless your a drifter you dont fully understand drifting. Simple as that.

Comment

Here is her website by the way

Nadine 180

the pics on the site don't really work for me, but you can take a look around. nothing too impressive i've seen so far, except that she is a girl into drifting.

- Peace

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
          You have good points man, However most of us look at it from a point of view that states women and men are equals. We dont see a point in making a big deal JUST because they are women. Which seems to be the case.

The attention surrounding drifting pretty seems to be "look girls can do what boys can do!" we dont see this as a big deal because we already realize that.

To alot of us it would be the same as going "Wow an all colored team drifting! those crazy blacks can do the same as whites after all" See how dated that sounds? To me the idea of making a fuss over the fact they are girl,. Sounds just as dated.

Theres also abit of anger around the way they are sponsored just because they are girls. The best comparison would be our friends in hawaii. There are alot of great guys in hawaii but they dont get sponsorship or any kind of backing or publicity, they get angry because they see some guy from southern california whos alright get sponsored JUST because hes from southern california.

There was alot of trash talking on this thread but there where also alot of good points and real feelings on these maters.
          i understand what youre saying. in a world where everybody sees women and men as equals, this article would be ridiculous... but i don't think its the case. gender and race is still a big issue in our current day society.

anyway, when i read the article, it wasn't about girls being able to do what guys do, but it's more about depicting women getting involved in a sport where there aren't a whole lot of women.

and the sponsorship thing... a lot of people don't realize that sponsorships are attained because of the mutual benefit between the sponsor and the sponsored. if companies felt the guys in hawaii (whom i admit are VERY talented) got them enough exposure and enough profit, then i am sure they would be sponsored already. the drifting pretty girls get a lot of publicity, and in turn, bring their sponsors exposure. from a driver's perspective, we see skill as a measure of how much sponsorship we should get... but from a marketing perspective, it has little to do with it.

also... their sponsors aren't actually full blown sponsors. they are more supporters than anything else... the girls arent having free parts thrown at them, but instead receive things like discounts and such.

Comment

welcome to the boards Benson, glad to see you in here man!

Comment

Originally posted by BensonHsu
              i understand what youre saying. in a world where everybody sees women and men as equals, this article would be ridiculous... but i don't think its the case. gender and race is still a big issue in our current day society.

anyway, when i read the article, it wasn't about girls being able to do what guys do, but it's more about depicting women getting involved in a sport where there aren't a whole lot of women.

and the sponsorship thing... a lot of people don't realize that sponsorships are attained because of the mutual benefit between the sponsor and the sponsored. if companies felt the guys in hawaii (whom i admit are VERY talented) got them enough exposure and enough profit, then i am sure they would be sponsored already. the drifting pretty girls get a lot of publicity, and in turn, bring their sponsors exposure. from a driver's perspective, we see skill as a measure of how much sponsorship we should get... but from a marketing perspective, it has little to do with it.

also... their sponsors aren't actually full blown sponsors. they are more supporters than anything else... the girls arent having free parts thrown at them, but instead receive things like discounts and such.
              Yeah i know what your saying. And dont get me wrong i saw Nadine drift sunday, shes pretty good. And Kat too. who seemed to improve before all of our eyes that day (i too started in an auto open diff i was told i couldnt drift it, then i was told i couldnt drift it with out the handbrake.. well proved people wrong.. but ack to the story). Your right though, race and sex are still a big issue in todays, society. You surround your self with relatively intelegent people and its easy to forget that.

I have to admit i didnt read the full artical, made it about half way threw. Wether it was a good artical or not i found it pretty boring. If i had a personal connection with one of the girls, or was a big fan or didnt think girls could drift i probably would of read threw it all with great interest.

And i know what your saying about supporters. but who here wouldnt love some supporters and discounts? i supose the anger, well its more frustration comes from the fact they are receiving publicity when others arent... dont get me wrong im not an excellent drifter. I dont think i would deserve any discounts on anything at this point.. but there are others who feel they, or someone they know deserve it.

I guess the only thing we can tell those guys is do something different. Be REALLY good, or do something unique that gets you noticed more then others. It leads to interesting ideas of what can be done in that regard.

Eitherway man thanks for your input and welcome to the boards. Ill warn you now there are alot of kids on it. and guys who arent exactly the nicest. But at the same time there are some serious fans and drivers. Please try to enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by 180maniac
                Here is her website by the way

Nadine 180

the pics on the site don't really work for me, but you can take a look around. nothing too impressive i've seen so far, except that she is a girl into drifting.

- Peace
                Got that from www.sileightymania.com right? Yeah,I've been viewing that site for over a year,a good resource for information.

Comment

sileightymania. Welcome Benson, it's nice to see you and Alex around here. I'm neutral in this, so I'll hop out now.

Comment

I read the whole thing being a fan of Benson makes me a fan of Nadine lol... anyways. Its great to see u here Benson i been a big fan for so long !
                    Last edited by MrodDrft; 05-18-2004, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24

I guess the only thing we can tell those guys is do something different. Be REALLY good, or do something unique that gets you noticed more then others. It leads to interesting ideas of what can be done in that regard.
                      yeah, they can do that... but i'd suggest to keep practicing! that, and learn how to be a good representative of a company. sponsored drivers aren't just drivers with free parts... they are drivers who are affiliated with top name companies... companies who wouldn't want to be represented by somebody with a bad reputation.

i am not the best driver, but i have some sponsors who are really happy with me because of my personality and how i reflect certain qualities of heir companies.

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome guys! i really appreciate it!

everybody drive safe!

Comment

Sorry for my first post to be so... rude, but some of you have no respect for other enthusiasts. Especially those that actually go out and drive.

have any of you ever seen them drift? i have and it is NOT PRETTY. All Nadine can do is donuts. I think this is all a joke. They look stupid trying to be all serious. Anyway blah!!!!!
                          Ok, are you saying you are better than them? At least she TRIES and she busted two tie rods this weekend learning. And at closed, sanctioned events. The LAST THING this industry needs is bad rep for drifting on public roads... and at least DP is trying to change that.

I'm growing tired of this type of publicity.Everyones a gangsta in this FnF type world right? If you see something like this,just keep quiet and don't tell the media.I guess that's one of the selling points of this article,what's an "import" article with the mention of Honda Civics,jackings,and guns.
                          When Nadine was 15 that was 1994-1995. That was 10 years ago. Anyone who has lived in LA in the past 10 years would know about Sylmar, Ontario, Industry, Carson/Wilmington, etc. And anyone over the age of 35 would know about Gardena back in the day. It's more of a "this is where she came from" article, because the whole point of DP is to CHANGE the way people view drifting, to educate that it is done safely off the streets.

we need some articles on some real drifters who are good and dont care about having color matched springs and crap like that. primered cars drifting is the shiz.
                          There were already several good ones.... or did you miss them all in the past 18 months? I can name no less than 15 off the top of my head about drifters that are good, that do not care about color-matched springs, and are about GUYS, since this seems to be such a big concern for many of you.

hahaha a friend of mine was supposed to be DP but she said they have homework and ish.... and she couldn't handle all the cutseyness of the group.
                          Some car clubs require month attendance at events, participation at meetings, etc. So what's the difference?

They only say that because DP shuns street drifting/touge more than Drifting.com does (had to say it ). You can get kicked out if you even mention going on drifting escapades. Watch...anyone going to DD16 today will see. You can tell they only practice once a month.
                          Yup... only once or twice a month. But the emphasis is on car control; SpeedTrialUSA and equivilant events are highly encouraged. In fact they are all participating in this weekend's event at the Streets of Willow.

At least they TRY and make a wholesome effort to accomplish their goals. I can't say the same for 90% of my "enthusiast" friends...

the Drift Girls from DriftXtreme will 0wn them soo bad! lol buahahahahah!
                          DP has ~6 months of experience. Drift Xtreme? Uh I think the sport is a lot more mature in Japan don't you think?

Apples to oranges.

I dont like some of the things DP said in that article. How are Civic's rice? Im tired of people sayingthat. How is crashing into a Canyon wall rice? At least were out there racing, aand getting better. I like some of the people in DP, but i don't like how a bunch of girls get sponsers, get in the paper, and get all this pubilcity, and they dont even know what a traction rod is. Im all for helping them out, our shop sponsers them, but why is it such a big deal?
                          Why is it such a big deal? Because Nadine has put in a LOT of time and effort to secure sponsorships, and she has put out all the work to get contacts with media. I've seen hundreds of sponsorship proposals sent to me at 5Zigen, and hers would probably rank in the top 10 if I were to compile them.

And please don't take the quoted lines in the article too seriously; we all have our opinions on different subject matters and it should be treated as such. The beauty of all this is that you can speak your mind and make up your own mind.

i was contemplating filming DP at drift day, and making a movie of their efforts from the whole day and let everyone decide for themselves.
                          Yup, film them. At least they are not afraid of you filming them. They are not afraid because they know they suck now, and will get better as they get more practice. Like any other sport or skilled activity, you get better as you practice more.

I don't know where you guys get this feeling that DP is the best team out there... because they are NOT.

-alex

Comment

yeah, they can do that... but i'd suggest to keep practicing! that, and learn how to be a good representative of a company. sponsored drivers aren't just drivers with free parts... they are drivers who are affiliated with top name companies... companies who wouldn't want to be represented by somebody with a bad reputation.

i am not the best driver, but i have some sponsors who are really happy with me because of my personality and how i reflect certain qualities of heir companies.
                            Just FYI: when companies sponsor they are looking to SELL their products. The sponsored entity(ies) should reflect the company's philosophy and product.

I'm sure there are tons of teams or individuals all over the country that deserve sponsorship, but without soliciting sponsorship with a PROFESSIONAL presentation you will never get any sponsorship. Remember: sponsoring means you are helping your sponsor sell products. If you cannot sell yourself you should not be sponsored.

-alex

Comment

Well im assuming they are already practicing.

Getting better and going to events is really the only way to get your name out there.

You have to understand most of these guys arent bad guys, they just posted out of frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by mav1178
                                Just FYI: when companies sponsor they are looking to SELL their products. The sponsored entity(ies) should reflect the company's philosophy and product.

I'm sure there are tons of teams or individuals all over the country that deserve sponsorship, but without soliciting sponsorship with a PROFESSIONAL presentation you will never get any sponsorship. Remember: sponsoring means you are helping your sponsor sell products. If you cannot sell yourself you should not be sponsored.

-alex
                                I was going to respond to your first post, however alot of what you brought up i already went threw with bension. I do hope you read those post as well if you havent already.

Comment

Working...
                                X