No announcement yet.

Drift Envy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day i will. Especialy as this one becomes less and less streetable. For now im just struggling to get a new engine in it.

But for the time being it suits my purposes you know.. Another thing to consider is garage space.. Now this isnt a problem where i live, land is cheap, But i used to stay in ventura. Very few people over there have room for the cars they have now, let alone anothr one. Im sure thats a problem in alot of coastal towns. like i said though, its not an issue here

Originally posted by Wickdmarz
    Yea I knew it wasn't experimental, I couldn't rember the name, but I wouldn't mind driving it.

Hey Nissanguy, why not get another 240 for a daily driver. Cuz I love my 240 as well, feels weird after driving it for a weekend then having to drive my daily during the week. My daily is an 99 hyundai elantra I wouldn't mind keeping my 240 for a daily driver if it had cruise control, stereo and A/C...hehe Maybe I'll get me a 240 for daily once I get my new toy Supra

Comment

I dont get this post? Is it just an observation? or what?

Also about nice cars in cali and "so-called" drifters.

I dont see any sick/bad (whatever you call it) cars out there in drift practice, I always see stock looking drift cars. I only see the sponsored cars that looks ricey.

Also, traffic in cali... so your saying we dont drive fast or we're all show? um try looking around midwest, I see hondas with firebird hoods with dual scoop that goes across the nose to the windshield. what's up with that?

Also, have you been here? Have you noticed that majority of the traffic is around downtown Los Angeles and the Airport? Then there's 10,15, and sometimes 605 freeway, but I can deal with it.

go a bit further than that, and you'll see what im talking about.

I dont know, a guy from Ohio giving his .2cents about cali.. I got a bit offended by that.

sorry.

Comment

wow, a rotory that needs a big block size collector pipe... now thats hot. Thx for the info.

You're within right to be mad. But understand where I'm comming from, I live in an area thats dead flat and most roads are straight and perpendicular, so im not saying we have it good out here. And I understand Cali is a big state and LA is just one corner. The thing that bugs me is that all this new action is packed into these little areas where ppl love spending lots of $ and the good fabricators and builders are getting crazy popularity all the sudden even tho they're no better than a lot of the guys out here.

I dont know whats up with the big truck nose scoops, they're really popular here suddenly. A lot of young kids are driving cavaleirs and neons thinking they're hot **** here. But they're an obvious joke there is no shortage of MEAN mustangs, cobras, camaros and vettes around here to show em up. Not to mention tons of 60's and 70's cars in the garages that come out for weekend shows. Basically the 4cyl cars out here are all taken as a joke cause there arent very many actual tuners since there are a lot more suv's and midsize or bigger cars on the road that sport compacts.

... I think Im off topic blabbing about nothing again.
        Last edited by AtroXR7; 06-10-2004, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Ah the good ol underground day sof Drifting, back when I drifted that Redline BMX bike around my sisters lemonade stand. Good one 97S14. Heck, 75% of the people here can't drive much less remember the underground days of any sport that involves cars. Nothing wrong with that, but don't preach about how a sport is going to change if you haven't even been around for the underground days. It's hypocrisy.

SMC to the AIM pole.
          Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 06-10-2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Basically the 4cyl cars out here are all taken as a joke cause there arent very many actual tuners since there are a lot more suv's and midsize or bigger cars on the road that sport compacts.
            I bet. most of the people I know that lives in Cali are a bit open minded. Compare to people I met from out of state, they are pretty much close minded, one track mind, etc. I just have to say "There's life outside TEXAS" I dont know maybe it's just a midwest or Texan thing, but damn, this people need to go out of the country once in a while. See there's more thing out there for them.

Trucks are not always the solution, V6 or V8s can break also. Computer is the way of the future. ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by AtroXR7
              And I understand Cali is a big state and LA is just one corner. The thing that bugs me is that all this new action is packed into these little areas where ppl love spending lots of $ and the good fabricators and builders are getting crazy popularity all the sudden even tho they're no better than a lot of the guys out here.
              dude... all the mainstream "drifting action" isn't getting packed into LA because supposedly everyone is rich in LA. one reason everything seems to be in LA is because most of the stuff imported from japan arrives at the shipyards in long beach. since everything arrives in LA... the distributors of the products are there. opening a shop close to the distributors is wise business because you don't have to deal with "middlemen" and additional shipping costs. that's why you see the bigname shops from japan opening branch shops in LA. as for events... with all these shops around it would be easy to get them to sponsor events. shops and companies sponsor the events to get their name out. i understand how much it would suck to live out in middle america because of the lack of... i guess you could say support. don't go basing your opinions of us californians based on little facts you pick up here and there. if u really want to know what's going on... feel free to ask.

Comment

r26b...

sounds way too close to rb26 to me i had to read it twice.

Comment

damn you lake michigan. you bring me nothing but stupid canadian quarters with doodles on them and stupid ford festivas

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
                    I dont get this post? Is it just an observation? or what?

Also, traffic in cali... so your saying we dont drive fast or we're all show? um try looking around midwest, I see hondas with firebird hoods with dual scoop that goes across the nose to the windshield. what's up with that?

Also, have you been here? Have you noticed that majority of the traffic is around downtown Los Angeles and the Airport? Then there's 10,15, and sometimes 605 freeway, but I can deal with it.

go a bit further than that, and you'll see what im talking about.

I dont know, a guy from Ohio giving his .2cents about cali.. I got a bit offended by that.

sorry.

Its all good, I told you not to be offended.
                    i've been to california 4 different times for a good period of time in the West covina/San diego/LA area and i've noticed plenty of things. but when's the last time you've been to ohio?

california rush hour.... enough said, no reason for a fast car if it slugs along with traffic at 35mph stop and go. (altho its good to be agile)

california weather... when it rains out there, it seems like people immediately panic and for some reason just slam on their brakes and go flying off the road.

drivers... I noticed in california drivers are much more respectful and polite to eachother than here in ohio and michigan. Drivers in california will usually signal a few moments before they turn or switch lanes, here in ohio and michigan people signal as they turn if they signal at all.

these are just a bit of generalizations, i'm sure its not like that all the time, but its what i've gathered in my time out there.

see crashdrive its just that eliteist attitude you have that i was talking about in my post that u have no idea about. I've been there and i've experienced some of it, so even tho i dont live there atleast i have somewhat of an idea on what i'm talking about. please come to ohio and try to dodge construction on a regular daily basis, on 2 lanes with semi trucks. idiots that are just looking for an insurance case, try dodging snowplows on unlined country roads with 4ft ditches on both sides in the dead of winter w/ 2ft snow drifts. Ohio is pretty easy driving compared to other places like wyoming and colorado. Everyplace has its own different type, but you should never assume that just because someone lives somewhere else, it means they have no idea about what their talking about.

Nah, I dont drive a honda, or a firebird with a nasty nose scoop. I'd rather atleast try and hole-shot them at the lights. I'll agree on that tho, i think they are ugly too. I dont understand why they are popular in our area.

but dont feel offended, i didn't mean to upset you.

forgive me
                    Last edited by OH240SE; 06-10-2004, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Well I was just a bit offended because of the "so-called" drifters in Cali.

No I've never been to Ohio but you dont see me giving my .2 on a place i've never lived for a while.

I hate the fact that east coast or midwest think that California is the capital city for ricers. Think again. California is pretty much the first when it comes to Imports and anyone outside California thinks the Domestics are just the best of the best.

Hey I will accept the fact about californias "regular drivers" exagerrate about a simple rain and can't really drive that well on rain. But that's because it does not SNOW around this area. Dont tell me when it snows or rain there, no one gets into an accidents?

Also about the traffic.. you said you've been in West Covina/San Diego and the LA area?..1st.. West Covina is on the 10.. heavily traffic. San Diego.. is on the 5.. Around Escondido or Carlsbad there's a heavy traffic because most of the business are around that area. LA area Dont even get me started on that area.

Okay. how about Temecula that's practically and waste land (no offense on the readers that lives there) and how about Rialto.. geez or Palm Springs? Geez. oh yeah.. 4x you've been here? Woop. Dude. Im not trying to start a war with you dude. Im just giving you little facts.

see crashdrive its just that eliteist attitude you have that i was talking about in my post that u have no idea about. I've been there and i've experienced some of it, so even tho i dont live there atleast i have somewhat of an idea on what i'm talking about.
                      I have no idea about what? what do you mean? I have a very good idea what California is all about. I dont have any idea what Ohio is all about. But do you see me posting anything about it?
                      you've been here 4 times. With extended period of times.. So that's what?... Like SUMMER TIME? so, you went around.. stayed for months... Hell I dont know.. and I dont really want to know. If you were here for a vacation. you probably didn't go anywhere were the real places is at. I bet you went to BelAir, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Long Beach, DisneyLand. But damn.. that observation is wayy out of line..

Anyways.. that paragraphs was not related to this site at all.

california rush hour.... enough said, no reason for a fast car if it slugs along with traffic at 35mph stop and go. (altho its good to be agile)
                      What about the rush hour? Like I said that may apply to only a few freeways. But not all of them. "No reason for a fast car" so there's no reason for a compact car around Ohio then right? Because all you guys need is a truck (I think I sounded a little prejudice there, didn't i?) anyways... I think anyone from anywhere can have a fast car. regarless if they live in constant traffic or on the MUD. It's like an adult asking a kid, why do you want a candy, before dinner?

Im not offended. I just wanted to add more facts for the readers of your post.

Comment

Ill be honest. I just read the first three posts and decided to reply. Too tired. Anyway...

I'm just depositing my .2$ in the tip jar...
                        I think the expansion of drifting is cool and not so cool at the same time. Drifting is still primarily "underground", but like with all things underground, its cool because its underground, but then you start telling your friends and they start talking about it. Soon everyone is into it and then its mainstream (Ya, I know it takes more then that to go mainstream. Just giving an example). At that point its cool because a lot of people are doing it and you are doing it (people think your cool) but at the same time its not cool because everyones doing it .

Drifting cant stay underground forever. This is the natural course its taking. I just hope I am still drifting after drifting becomes mainstream then dies down and becomes underground again.

Comment

Anyways, there no such thing as "underground" anymore. Everything underground has gotten exposed. Underground rappers strive for mainstream exposure for it's monetary value. Underground skaters try their best to get there tape out to a promoter. But you gotta remember, if people truly keep it underground, then you haven't heard of them! I mean, if those true underground believers keep the definition real, most likely you haven't heard of them. Just like how the best spies are never heard of or the best criminal hasn't been caught.

Really, though, what keeps a motorsport interesting for ages is the aspect of the addition of different factors, new tecnologies, and changing rules, constantly. If changed too much, it could probably blow over peoples' heads like the XFL.

Did you know that the underground rap movement was first exposed mainstream by big business record label execs who didn't make money because they didn't know how to promote it and gave up entirely on trying it? Then when a fellow rapper, Russel Simmons, took advantage of the open market on rapping, he started promoting it through the eyes of a rapper and later monopolized on the millions of fans who still love it today. That's what drifting needs. Keiichi Tsuchiya (a fellow drifter) did his thing, and made it huge in Japan, but in America, it's a whole different thing because if you love something so much, you wanna try it for yourself and theres not that many tracks where you could drift, places where law enforcement will let cars rally (Japan has so many place where they can rally aka Wangan lots), and open mountain passes (at least down here in Florida and one really big factor). Basically, it's no Japan here in America. It's all location, that's what it is. I'd like to expand on this aspect, location, but I think I wrote enough.

Comment

As for sponsorships and corporate america. Get over it already. Professional Racing cannot live without corporate america. They are the only answer to letting talented people focus on racing 100% of the time. As for no money...if your dedicated enough it won't make a difference. Also let's face it, drivers from Formula D don't make much money doing this stuff. Look at the winner payout...$1,000??? That will barely pay for the transportation costs to some events.

I'll use Ross Petty for an example. He has been drifting now for 7 years and is considered one of the best from Hawaii. In order for Ross to be dedicated to his love of drifting, he commited himself 100%. He sold EVERYTHING (except the car) just to go drifting. He opened a small shop doing SR20DET swaps to support his living. For years he's been doing this without a penny for anything else. He has not complained about his situation at all. His buddies at Grip Video saw his skill and found an opportunity for him to come race stateside, and thus Ross will be competing at Formula D in Sonoma in a competitve car. Grip Video had to save money to afford to buy him racing gear, and plane tickets to the events. As well as do a lot of PR. It's not an easy task, it's challanges like this that push drifting to a new level. Without pure dedication from teams and drivers there is no future for this sport. Right now there is no outside non-automotive corporate sponsorship from big companies, i think there needs to be. Big cash prizes bring the best competitors. If your dedicated enough, and your skills as a driver and you have some PR skills you can get places. The sport is very young in the US, it's not too late to jump on board.

The less time that is spent whining online about no money, and no tracks, no group activities...blah blah blah, the less time you spend improving your skills.

oh and for california...it's too broad. Nor cal drivers don't freak out in the rain, and they dont always hold up traffic due to rubber necking. Everywhere has it's ups and downs...and don't forget, it's not always greener on the other side of the fence.
                            Last edited by swifty949; 06-11-2004, 07:46 AM.

Comment

People in most other states dont really think domestics are THAT much better. Many other states are much more into the entire "Built in the USA" attitude and strongly support it, especailly with a large purchase like a car. As for the rease many ppl dislike the imports... well in that time where they were starting to gain recognizion as tuner cars and truely high performance machines. The scene when mainstream and thousands of kids that dont have a clue what they're doing with cars started spending thousands of their parents dollars on the economy cars their parents had given them for college or hs. The result, tons of cars with expensive wheels, gfx, paint, stickers, and angry bee mufflers. But anyone that knows how to make a car perform knows that this combination will make a car slower due to the extra weight and extra rotational mass from the big wheels. So these kids are everywhere revving the crap out of their lil "unmodified" econoboxes. Trying to talk trash all the established mustangs, camaros, transams. They drag race and lose, and STILL talk trash.

My story was a lil different... happened about 2 years before everything went mainstream i think. I was driving a 93 Crown Vic... v8, yeah, kicking everone's but. And my friend had a lil Plymoth Laser (DSM) she had turbocharged. She gave me a good whooping. So here I am, one traffic accident and one blown engine (2 cars) later, and I finally know almost every inch of this car, and quite abit about many others.

As far as undergrown goes... its america's favorite thing to do anymore. Almost any thing underground is already cool just to survive as long as it does without any support. The mainstream takes these things, exploits them and does everything for the WRONG reasons. Ive been part of too many of these things. Catching the tail end of a really amazing thing, just to have it commerciallized 2-5 years later. Punk music was the one that annoys me the most. Millions of kids they spend hundreds of dollars on punk haircuts and clothes trying to copy a style that was made buy people that had almost no money. They running around listening to emo and pop music like Aviril, trying to tell people how big of a "punk" they are. Its kinda sick what it did to the culture. Half the good bands got stomped out of existance because the frustration of it all. The rest either joined this new movement, or changed their style some and just play rock now with a few punk influences.

Maybe Im the one thats wrong tho... maybe its cool to convert your entire lifestyle into something you know nothing about every few years. As for me... music comes and goes... Im a dancer... and I dont think people will ever make what i do main stream... simply because it takes too much talent and hard work. As for cars... drifting is still wonderful, but I think im going to lean towards autocross in the futute. They have local events and it just looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
                                4 rotors are not experimental

Mazda went racing with a bunch of 4 rotor cars at Le Mans. Managed the only win by rotary powered, and only Japanese team ever to win.
                                yes theyare and those where for racing use only...so they can be called expirimental couse they arent in the comercial market...

Comment

Working...
                                X