No announcement yet.

Nissan Silvia S16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're worried about emissions, the US gov't granted Nissan a sort of special emissions exemption when Nissan threatened to pull production out of the US. For every car company that sells in the USA except Nissan, the fleet of US cars must meet the CAFE mileage requirements. However, Nissan now gets to average their Japanese fleet with the US fleet, so that the highly efficient Japan-only models provide some room for Nissan to market some cars that don't have very good mileage numbers. It doesn't mean that Nissan will actually produce some wildly powerful car, but it does put Nissan in a position to do so if they want to. Of course, the rest of the carmakers are pretty upset about this, and with good reason, since it is blatant favoritism pushed by those in the house and senate who represent states with Nissan factories.

Oh and by the way, the Cougar was a Mercury, not a Plymouth.

Comment

Hope that nissan make a better looking s16.

Comment

Originally posted by Oki Drifter
        You DIDN'T know the earth regenerates!?
        what do you think the earth was doing after it killed a the dinosaurs? replenishing resources
        so once God and Mother Earth gets tierd of us they wipe us out and starts all over again
        But what do they do before bringing back life to the planet? Replenish It's Resources
        In other words use our dead bodies to make more gasoline so the next species can find it and discover Drifting all over again

You sound like my b*tch Japanese teacher I had in high school...No offense to you...Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio
          If you're worried about emissions, the US gov't granted Nissan a sort of special emissions exemption when Nissan threatened to pull production out of the US. For every car company that sells in the USA except Nissan, the fleet of US cars must meet the CAFE mileage requirements. However, Nissan now gets to average their Japanese fleet with the US fleet, so that the highly efficient Japan-only models provide some room for Nissan to market some cars that don't have very good mileage numbers. It doesn't mean that Nissan will actually produce some wildly powerful car, but it does put Nissan in a position to do so if they want to. Of course, the rest of the carmakers are pretty upset about this, and with good reason, since it is blatant favoritism pushed by those in the house and senate who represent states with Nissan factories.

Oh and by the way, the Cougar was a Mercury, not a Plymouth.
          I read that article. It was really interesting. That was a good point to bring up. Good job Bob...

Comment

Of course i really dont see the point of nissan needing a special setup.. Until nissan launched the titan and its SUV counter part nissan really didnt have anything that would be considered a big gas guzzler.. and even with them im sure its not too bad. Nissan isnt like honda with fuel effecientcy but there not bad either.. Perhaps it was just to make way for a 400 horse power skyline?

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
              Of course i really dont see the point of nissan needing a special setup.. Until nissan launched the titan and its SUV counter part nissan really didnt have anything that would be considered a big gas guzzler.. and even with them im sure its not too bad. Nissan isnt like honda with fuel effecientcy but there not bad either.. Perhaps it was just to make way for a 400 horse power skyline?
              Considering the technology and engine experience that Nissan has, I think Nissan can pull off some crazy horsepower without sacrificing milage...

I don't know why Nissan wanted that exemption so bad though...

Matt.

Comment

Remember that various environmental groups are always lobbying to raise those CAFE requirements (Corporate Average Fuel Economy, just in case some were wondering). So while the present CAFE averages are 27 mpg for cars and 20 mpg for trucks, it might not be unrealistic to see those numbers raised to something like 35 and 25 in several years. Besides, I'm sure Nissan could build a 300 hp car that gets 27 mpg with no problem, but increasing power gets more expensive as your required mileage goes up, and I imagine Nissan wants to keep its costs down.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio
                  Remember that various environmental groups are always lobbying to raise those CAFE requirements (Corporate Average Fuel Economy, just in case some were wondering). So while the present CAFE averages are 27 mpg for cars and 20 mpg for trucks, it might not be unrealistic to see those numbers raised to something like 35 and 25 in several years. Besides, I'm sure Nissan could build a 300 hp car that gets 27 mpg with no problem, but increasing power gets more expensive as your required mileage goes up, and I imagine Nissan wants to keep its costs down.
                  X2 to this... But I'm sure Nissan's engineers can easily accomplish this. All the Japanese car manufacturers have been way below their limits. Nissan has the technology as do all the other car makers.

I've never seen Nissan make an oversized engine that completely guzzles gas (other than the truck I currently drive, but this is due to the way I drive).

Matt.

Comment

The ozone regenerates? thats a new one... well i hope it regenerates faster then we can destroy it, because im really getting sick of getting skin cancer.
                    Bit of a science lesson for ya...

The creation and destruction of ozone molecules in the stratosphere are natural cycles. The average life of an ozone molecule is relatively short in nature, but until recently, ozone was being created at least as quickly as it was destroyed since the oxygen molecule continually rejoins to rejuvenate the ozone layer.

The increase of chlorines and bromines into the atmosphere has interfered with the natural cycle.

Ozone is now being destroyed more quickly than it can be created. When the emissions of these chemicals cease, the ozone layer will eventually repair itself. The repair will not be instantaneous. Even if all CFC emissions were immediately stopped, depletion of the ozone would continue to worsen for 15-20 years before any repair would begin. The natural rejuvenation of the ozone will be a very slow process. Estimates are that the Antarctic ozone hole will not be fully repaired until the late 21st century.

So yes it regenerates... VERY SLOWLY... Sorry bout that skin cancer crap, multiple people in my family had/have it.

Comment

Actually i was just trying to be a smart *Censored**Censored**Censored*, I am aware of that, like all naturally occuring things such as oil it is slowly regenerated by the process that brought it forth originally. The problem is we can easily do more damage then it can repair like you mentioned. Actually most gasses that deplite the O zone can be easily removed (and indeed have been being outlawed) with out really effecting us too much. I dont believe auto emissions harm it too much... It just harms other things.

I think if we focus on power plant production go to more wind, solar and nuclear sources (worried about a meltdown.. put it in the desert somewhere!) To power our houses and factorys and such we can really help our emissions, then we wont have to worry about automobiles as much. Still there are simple things we can do. Cats are incredably effective and have very very little negative effects on performance. Deffenately a first step.

Comment

worried about a meltdown.. put it in the desert somewhere!)
                        the generators need to be by water

Comment

well if the S16 ever gets built it will not have a SR in either japan or the US. The SR was phased out with the S15 as the s15 was the only car that used it anymore anyways. Same with the beloved RB series. The QR is the replacement for the SR and the VQ is the replacement for both the RB and the VG series. So if the S16 gets built most likly have a QR in it.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                            the generators need to be by water
                            We cant pipe it in?

Comment

not enough water to pipe in. the coils heat the water, the steam rises up the stacks and turns the generators in the process. that is why you allways see the plants near lakes and rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                                not enough water to pipe in. the coils heat the water, the steam rises up the stacks and turns the generators in the process. that is why you allways see the plants near lakes and rivers.
                                What about REALLY REALLY big pipes?

Not that I’m trying to be a smart *Censored**Censored**Censored*... but the actual process of making those solar panels creates quite a bit of pollution. Nuclear and Wind are good forms of power production, though wind powered generators take up lots and lots of land. Sure we can put a power plant in the desert and put a huge lake by it... but then it wouldn’t be a desert anymore because the steam in the atmosphere of the desert would change the ecosystem.

Basically what I'm just trying to get at is the fact that these laws, even though they do protect the very planet we live on, are ridiculous. They aren't unneeded, but they can be cut back...
                                We have the technology. We can rebuild him!
                                All we need to do is increase the amount of cyanobacteria in the world! Not sure about the spelling there... but that’s the prehistoric (not extinct to my knowledge) bacteria that was a major contributor to the creation of the Earth's atmosphere.

I agree with Nissanguy that we are damaging it to much (or so I feel he is trying to convey) but the EPA and DOT doesn't have to smack car owners around? Everything on this planet has the ability to adapt to any environment. The world is slowly changing and so will the inhabitants. It’s called evolution.

Besides... even if all resrictions were lifted, by the time the oZone was depleated we will be living on other planets.

Comment

Working...
                                X