Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the show was off to an ok start but lose the host please! get some ppl who know what they are talking about....drifting has lost a lot of its underground appeal..i like the days when the only way to see drifting was to buy a 20$ option or best motoring vid.
    now drifting has gone mainstream and you got 15 year old kids asking "how many cylinders does a treuno have?(wrong spelling)". redline TV is the posterchild for that type of mentality. as for the IAS and all the ppl complaining...if redline had shown the TOKYO auto salon i doubt many ppl would be complaining...i think the tokyo auto salon has a different "flavor" about it even though they also have neon lights etc like the IAS has in some of their cars but it's just a different style, tokyo vs international a.s.

Comment

I don't know about other people but I happen to love Boro drift cars like with shattered headlights big a$$ dents, and no front bumpers. because It shows you that they're out there doing it. I would actually love to have a thrashed S14 than a corvette or a viper. and whats a Blackbird R34 that thing sounds scary.About the redlined show.To Mr. Lieberman: I wish you luck on your show, but I swear to god if this turns into another Nopi tunervision, with *Censored**Censored**Censored* car shows, *Censored**Censored**Censored* lambo doors and stupid wigger suburb *Censored**Censored**Censored*s, I will not be pleased. Please try to get abetter host, better editor, more tech, and no more magnaflow.

Comment

the best thing in that show was the team julius 180SX that the lame excuse for a host was standing next to. i saw that car in hawaii..that thing had porsche brakes..nuts

i got more amp'd watching the JGTC commercial than the program itself :P

Comment

ahha yea the commercial was more exciting that the show.. u shud take some pointers from it, good music (trance-ish), low volume on it.. and the engine sounds cranked up.

Comment

Well, I missed it and to me it sound like a good thing. I just bought the Hashiriya DVD that was done by Teckademics, I never even heard of it before and it was bad. They did have a chick as a host but she was fully clothed and even wearing a coat and a scarf. I believe she was the host because she could translate very well and speaked fluent english and maybe Japanese but I don't speak it to beable to tell. The only thing that I didn't like about the DVD was the drag racing in it, I don't like straight line racing no matter what car is doing it. It showed both Kazuya Bai and Fumaki Komatsu drifting in an industrial hang out area with other cars. They had a small interview with Chunky and an even longer interview with Drifter X, while he was at work. They showed both of their cars and the drivers themselves said what they had done to their cars and they answered other questions. I though it was a great DVD for 15 bucks. So that is how it should be done, interview some people like Fumaki when he is on the clock at Signal and definately get my boy Alex to host. I talk to him whenever he gets online and that dude is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing funny. He would make a great host. Seeing how the true drifters will be around forever you might want to appeal to them if you want your show to last more than a year. The F and F kids usually switch to a different fas when it comes around. It is like the old crew I used to role with when I was in high school, after high school was over they stopped modding there cars and got into drinking and other stupid *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*. We will always be here, but if we think your show sucked than we probably won't watch it even if it does cover our favorite motorsport and our lifestyle. Lose the chick and get someone "real" to host the show. After this thread I don't even know if I am going to attempt to wake up for the show.

Comment

Suggestion:

TO REDLINE TV.

Ill give the 1st episode a 5 out of 10. Since it was just an introduction. Ill be expecting more to come on the next episodes. But then again 1st impression is where it counts.

Also, you guys said that "our backdrop is around the drifting community" But I only saw about 5mins of drifting and another 5mins of show events and then 20mins of commercials. If you guys want to be FDBD (for drifters by drifters) I think you guys need a little bit more drifting.

I do want to add some suggestions for the upcoming episodes.

1st. No offense to Courtney Day (she's freakin hot!) But I suggest getting a more reputable host. I suggest DANICA PATRICK She's a racer, She's already a hostest and she does it well + she's hot! Also, I suggest Boris Said he's down to earth or maybe Rhys M or maybe some guy in the drift community.

2nd. Time slot! Try to buy atleast 1hr worth of time. The 1st episode came with like 20mins of sponsors and commercials and 10mins of actual show. Think about it. 40mins of actual show and 20mins of commercial. Also, if all of the sponsors cannot fit in one show try adding their name in different segments like "This project 240 is brought you by blah, blah, blah" Those are always welcome. Look at Sports Car Revolution in Speed Channel.

3rd. Project car. Try to built a project car. I know what producers says, that it's not worth putting a project car segment in a 30min show because it's not in detail. But I think it's worth every penny. Try cut it down per parts of the car. Like 1 episode will be a suspension upgrade then test it in the track. Show the difference between stock and performance upgrade. (again look at, Project Acura in SPORT COMPACT REVOLUTION and Option Video.) They are real tuners, they test, upgrade then test again.

4th. Battle of the TUNERS. Try to invite all of the tuners in southern california and test their project cars. (im getting this straight from OPTION VIDEO) Let them do lap time or dyno all of their cars.

5th. Community Service. Try to cover local tracks, Show stats of current race (rally, JGTC, scca, solo, etc). Also try to remind all of the watchers that racing in the streets is just plain stupid. Post like the local schedule for tracks. Drift Day events. and where to register.

6th. Local Scene. Drift Days, Fomula D, Car shows, Drag racing events (not the show part of the event, but the actual race of the events).

7th. Interviews. Try to interview reputable racers, a good segment about their accomplishments, how they started, and what their views are in certain events.

8th. FACTS. Add like a 10min segment per show about different facts (example: Touge. How they are dangerous and there are other alternatives. It's the truth but REAL enthusiast will love it).

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and I think I just covered a whole season of shows.

For the next season, I suggest covering different country and checking the scenes out there.

I hope all of this ideas can be considered. If it all goes well, try to sell the video per episode. Hell if you guys are more informative than the others. I would buy your DVDs and make them as a reference guide.

You guys just got a good amount of free show pitch here. I got more! I hope you guys appreciate it. I got more ideas, try to hit me up at my email address.

Comment

Originally posted by kaitokid21
                the best thing in that show was the team julius 180SX that the lame excuse for a host was standing next to. i saw that car in hawaii..that thing had porsche brakes..nuts

i got more amp'd watching the JGTC commercial than the program itself :P
                yeah that 180sx, i was drooling at that thing the whole time instead of the host lady....180sx was help tune by team "Nightwalkers" and if im correct that's Dx's team(haven't seen him for a long time) but yeah that was tight....as for the black Porsche brakes thats just crazy!!

Comment

For the love of God...

To the dude who said "if this turns into Nopi TunerVision", for the love of God, I had absolutely NOTHING to do with that show. Please, for the love of God, take one minute to do some research before you cast stones, bro. Want the man responsible?
                  Call Mike Meyers at NOPI...404 366 4700 and give him your two cents.

(Before anyone else chimes in, the graphics on TF & TF cars were also NOT my idea...email Keithbrianburns@yahoo.com to *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* about that).

Otherwise, there's some decent input here.

FYI: We considered Alex Pfeiffer as a host, however, outside of our beloved drifting world, no one really knows who he is. At this point, we thought that having a pretty girl who is associated with the tuner world would be better received....after all, she was delivering scripted dialog. We thought she did great....sounds like a few disagreed.

Danica was considered...we thought she was too "branded" with the hot rod crowd.

The challenge witgh picking a host is:

NUMBER ONE: WILL HE/SHE relate to people OUTSIDE the target audience?

Number two: Will people INSIDE the target audience know who she is?

Number three: Can he/she deliver the lines and carry the show?

Number four: Does he/she have an attractive appearance?

Find one that meets all four of those....see? Ain't so easy, is it?

Comment

my opinion:

1. yes
                    2. i doubt it (i didnt know)
                    3. kinda...
                    4. yep

keep in mind, this is my opinion, i wasnt flaming... just opinionating (i made a new word... cool)
                    Last edited by yarzan; 07-06-2004, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• I think if you guys are making a drifting show you need to understand one thing. Your main audience will be drifters and drift fans. And two.. Hot rodders and show car guys will never like the show, because its about drifting.

You guys need to worry more about what the drifters want to see and focus on your target audience. The problem many shows have is they try to apeal to everyone. I believe drifting is cool enough to stand on its own. Just put drifting out there! and let people see it how it is and i believe they will catch on and enjoy it.. Hell they dont know who Alex Pfeiffer is? who cares they will learn.

Thats one problem with all media types i believe, they worry too much about the lowest common denomenator, instead of the people who will actually watch the show.

Heres an example of something done right... Spider man, both 1 and 2, where both made by sam rami (or however its spelled) Basicly a nerd who loves the story. So he made the best Spiderman story he could, he didnt stop to worry about if the stuck up girl would like it, or the football fan would like it. He knew the story was strong enough on its own to stand on its own.

Imagine how bad it would of been if they changed Peter Parker into an all american football star jock who always gets the girl.

It would of been awful, because thats not good story telling.. Instead they stuck to the real spiderman what made spiderman a success NOT what they thought would improve it, or appeal to people who had never picked up a comic book... And look what happened? Spiderman 1 broke all kinds of records and the sequal has been called even better and is kicking *Censored**Censored**Censored* in the box office!

See what im getting at? Drifting has gotten big because drifting is cool. it didnt need a sexy model to make it popular, it didnt need flashy stuff or other 'improvements' to widen its audience. I believe if you put the real drift scene out there then you will have a successful show on your hand.

And yeah an hour would be awsome.. but lets take it one step at a time...

Comment

• Craig...dont feel bad man.

Who isnt in buisness for the money. And shame on you all for telling a guy hes a bastard for doing his job. Stop working at burger king and taking your mommies checks to pay for your cars

Unless you actually scrape your knucles for your performance like I do. Your exempt.

Heres the deal. Craig....your a bit behind. Again, dont feel bad. We all have to start somewhere. Unfortunatly you happen to be in a business that delivers information to you regarding enthusiasm. From my understanding (or lack there of) you may happen upon other information. Sadly to say most of this "enthusiasm" is mostly the hottest trend of fad.

Personally I belong to a set of indiveduals that seek out thies subcultures. Lifestyles if you will. And take pride in their culture or heritage.

Thats my understanding.

One thing that would clear the air is for people to learn to seperate your business from your pleasure. You to me seem to be a car guy. One who happens to make money with his hobby. Hell I hope to be there soon myself.

Now, as for feedback on TV programs and there "Coverage". Its just that, coverage. I dont think anyone here or on more focused drift boards think twice about thies shows. They are great cause the report on the american way of life as far as drifting is concerned. Thats great. But remember drifting has been established in japan for over 10 years now. The touge racing has been going on for about half a decade previously. There are military personell here now that lived there back then and brought back the attitude and life with them. There are other people who like road racing and dirty cars that have dents in body work alot more than candy paint and clear hoods that show crome engine components and an airbrushed valve cover.

Is it the first time Drifting was shown on TV in the US. Absolutly not. Are those previous shows the first...in a way...no. How can I say this....as I look at my collection of Option and Best Motoring videos that I know by heart its been on my TV for the last 4 years. I drifted at the first hyperfest, the absolute very first drift practice and competition in the US hands down and undisputed. I was drifting almost a year before that. I was watching videos a year before that.

What I say next is not to spite you, just hopefully enlighten. Your not the first, nore the best. And what is the best is so easy to obtain we as a community can afford to be critical of any efforts put forth by the US. We would much rather see open track time and our own people just going out there without competition going on than to watch a piss poor US D1. As a PERFECT example.

IRON CHEF!!! Hands down the best japanese show ive seen in the US...MAN that show is entertaining. And I dont even cook. I watch it whenever I get a chance. I love it.

Well well well. Us silly americans cant stand to see anyone else do something better so what does the establisment do...make an Iron Chef USA, and use a chef (Bobby Flay) for its inagural show, that was critisized publicly on its japanese counterpart. I waited an entire month to see that US eppisode hopping that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, someone got the idea. Saddly I was dissapointed. By a great bit actually. So many of the elliments of that show that made its japanese version great were lacking in the US version.

Such is the same for drifting in the US. There are many things drifters love about it. Is it a sport, no. Is it fun hell yeah and thats the way it needs to be kept. Do we want to know other peoples setups and the parts they use, sure, it helps us with our cars, do we like seeing it. Hell yeah, thats why we spend soo much on tapes to be shipped from japan or from our friends accross the country.

Now what gets me is how easily a production is screwed up. I mean HOW CAN YOU GET THIS WRONG with MILLIONS of people on message boards all over the net spewing info on what they like and want?!

Why the hell do you want to spend millions on a series or production for a television program and wiat for a thread like this to show you what you did wrong when you could start a thread asking what to put in and make a huge success?!

Comon.

Two people have done this correctly. Grass Roots Motorsports and WIRED Magazine. Fortunatly for them they knew someone who was one of the drifters they wished to portray or report on. Charels Greaber of WIRED ended up wrighting a VERY well recieved and respected article. David (forgive me for forgetting the last name) also wrote a very well liked initial article on what was such a popular issue they decided to put something about drifting in every issue.

Hell, take a 300 dollar plane trip to an event. Pick up a phone. Talk to the people in the trenches so to speak. I know thats what you think your doing but listen to what they tell you they like and what they stress, what gets them excited, report on that, show more of those things. Look at the models laid out before you in Option and BM. Hell there are vids from 92 that I still get kicks out of watching.

If you need help its there. Just get some. Please.

Comment

• FYI: We considered Alex Pfeiffer as a host, however, outside of our beloved drifting world, no one really knows who he is. At this point, we thought that having a pretty girl who is associated with the tuner world would be better received....after all, she was delivering scripted dialog. We thought she did great....sounds like a few disagreed.

Obviously you thought wrong. If the girl can't even read off of cue cards and make it sound like she knows what she is talking about than dump her. Who cares if no one knows who he is, show him drifting and everysone will learn who he is. He is also funny, he would bring more flavor than some girl that can't change her own brake pads ever could. It sounds like everyone from drifting.com disagreed and not just a few.

Comment

• To Redline,

Can you discuss some of your planned features for the upcoming shows so forum members can submit suggestions before the plans are finalized?

Comment

• to CRASHDRIVE and DaGOATRollaGTS, awe man you guys just saved me alot of typing.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINDING Master
                                To Redline,

Can you discuss some of your planned features for the upcoming shows so forum members can submit suggestions before the plans are finalized?
                                Yeah, why not? If are say is so important why can't we tell you a head of time what is going to sink or float?

Comment

Working...
                                X