Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with the guys that said drifting can stand on it's own.

Craig and anyone at redline, STOP TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL!

We don't need some big chested woman to watch a drifting show, this is one of the most grassroots sports ever. How many models do you see in grassroots magazine, option, battle magazine, or drift tengoku?? I'd also rather see Alex as the host, at least he has contributed to the scene without exploiting it.

Comment

• i saw the first show and it was ok it just outlined the rest, but the girl was hot , but couldn't even talk.(here car was also crap) there wasn't enough stuff eather. also it didn't look professonal, when you look at bm videos they have pro racers talking show you the cars stats and have good camera work, odd angles and negative shots suck they arnt informative, and look like crap(video production at my highschool does that type of stuff every day) also i hate it in mags when the only shot of the front of the car is a 1 by 2 inch shot in the corner, so don't do that show the cars at a stand still with good shots and tell the stats then see it go. if some some big exec says he wont do this stuff, then tell him to read this.

also is the jgtc race going to be on speed channel?

Comment

• Who cared to see the Magnaflow segment? I surely didn't, but if you did please tell us why.

Comment

• Why not just have the girls hanging off of Alex as he hosts the show?
          I bet Alex would like that...

I can understand that assembling a show about something new to so many people is a tough thing to do, and I'm not going to tell you guys how to do your job, but at the same time why alienate your target audiance just to entertain some other people?

Regardless of what the subject is, people usually want to hear form an expert. If the host hasn't had a daily driver with a welded differential, stared up at the starry sky from atop a mountian waiting for the first run of the night, or smoked the rears so hardcore that they both blow at once, I really don't care what he/she has to say.

No offense Craig and others, but unless you can claim undisputed roots to the scene, you should probably not be the ones designing a show about it.

-MR

Comment

• It's pretty apparent how the majority of us (the grassroots drifting community) felt about the show, but I wonder how the show car/tuner community felt?

It looks like what Redline management have done is market the show towards the show car/tuner crowd in hopes of drawing them into drifting and jgtc. The whole format, the host, video editing style, video effects of the show were undoubtedly reminiscent of a Nopi/Hi-Rev tuners type of show.

Is the grassroots drifting community, or for that matter the hardcore drifting fans still that much of a minority when compared to the show car community?

Was it simply a matter of marketing towards the larger target audience?

Comment

• Angelo's got a good point.

IMO (and I'm sure I speak for others as well) spreading drifiting to a larger audiance will only serve to contaminate the scene...

There are already skilled US drivers that refuse to compete in events like Formula D becuase of the bling factor. EVen in Japan there are drivers that no longer compete in D1 because it's become a shadow of its former self.

Watch those videos from 1992, then watch a Option video from 2004 - look at the difference!

I'm not a "purist" and I don't think that drifting shouldn't progress, but adding a lot of things that have nothing to do with on-the-edge car control and bals-out hardcore driving will not help represent the sport.

Regarding the camera work and effects:
              Hundreds, if not thousands, of non-Japanese speaking kids buy Option, Battle, and Drift Tengoku magazines just so they can look at the pictures. The pictures of the cars (and the filming of the casr in the videos for that matter) show details of things like how the camber plates are set, what sort of rollbar setup is in the car, how the turbo piping is run, how the intercooler is mounted in conjunction of the radiator, how the front bumper is attached. All of those things are valuable to see in coverage of any sort. Car guys (most anyway) are technical-oriented people who don't really care what color a car is or what the car looks like when you're standing on your head and are seeing in negative.

My point isn't that the show needs to be like the Japanese shows or magazines, but the coverage needs to be thorough. Even if ther is only time to show 3 cars the whole show, at least show those cars well.

-MR
              Last edited by mranlet; 07-07-2004, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• I believe the issue is with the media industry trying to determine the demographics that's into drifting.

Drifting's demographics is not a narrow spectrum like the FnF crowd. It's much broader than that. You have working professional who doesn't care about the show aspect to highschool kids who just wants to go sideways.

So, stop using the FnF demographics and don't apply it to the drifting crowd...

Comment

• Wow...contaminate the scene????

Guys, I gotta disagree here.

Something mainstream does NOT contaminate it...it infuses new life into it.

With mainstream media attention comes corporate sponsors; with corporate sponsorships comes the advancement of the sport...and the enrichment of the sports' participants.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the music world....you think Snoop would be happy being a "purist flying under the corporate radar?" Hell no, he takes the corporate money and leads the life he chooses.

Its' happened in pro skateboarding, pro volleyball, surfing, jet skiing, you name it...eventually, the corporations come in.

For those of you who may scream "look what TF&TF did to the tuner world," keep in mind that NONE of the automotive shows on TV would be on right now if the mainstream audiences hadn't walked out of that movie wanting more. Even MTV is finally getting into the game, launching their own series later this year.

Keep in mind that many OE's have now responded to this demand and cars like the Evo and WRX are in direct response to demand generated partly by more mainstream acceptance of trends. People like Drifting.com members pioneer become 'cool' and more importantly, "opinion leaders," and someday you might be fortunate enough to make a living from your passion.

In my opinion, you have two choices:
                  Deny it, be a "purist" and do what you want on your own dime

Embrace it...get paid well for it, and still do what you want.

There's nothing wrong with being a purist...I'm one too (having owned/built 39 cars, mortgaged up to my eyeballs for cars and having given up my first wife to keep having cool cars I believe makes me a purist), but to resist the infusion of capital into a grassroots sports is exactly what's been keeping SCCA unpopular with America's youth for 30 years.

They FINALLY woke up and accepted drifting...why? With it came sponsorship dollars.

That's today's economics lesson...take it for whatever its' worth.

Comment

• Whatever you say there Nero.

Comment

• Re: Interesting feedback

Originally posted by craiglieberman

I was dissappointed that people didn't praise the JGTC coverage or drift coverage more. Thought we showcased something no one has ever showcased before (hell, JGTC has never been on TV in America before) and a profile of Alex explaining what drifting is and the various techniques (we thought) was something never done on TV before.
                      Haha, Craig, thats just like you to think that you're the first with something. lol. you heard of satellite tv or even cable? you think the first time we've been exposed to jgtc was because of "your" show? lol.

you think we've never seen Alex or other notables explain drifting technique before? haha, thank god Redline is here!!! what would we do without it???!!!

you want to be a first with something? try acquiring a first class production team who can actually create, build, film, and cut a good show for the automotive enthusiast. now, that would be a first! until we see that, we'll come to expect the B and C rated production we've seen so far on shows like HiRev Tuners, Tuner Transformation, and Redline TV.

Comment

• Ignore the folks that complaine about it getting mainstream and wanting ot keep it underground.

Most of them haven't been into car for more than a couple of years. Heck some fo them here can't even drive...

But, seriously, from a long time car person, don't use a narrow demographics to define the target audience for drifting... You will need segments that cater to people like me, road course folks that got into drifting.

That means more substance, less flash.

Also, would like to challange your claim to be a regular on freshalloy.com. I'm a regular there, and I don't ever see you post. According to another forum member, you only have 4 post on there. So, don't know how that can be counted to be a regular...

Comment

• Originally posted by DriftNation8
                          It's pretty apparent how the majority of us (the grassroots drifting community) felt about the show, but I wonder how the show car/tuner community felt?

It looks like what Redline management have done is market the show towards the show car/tuner crowd in hopes of drawing them into drifting and jgtc. The whole format, the host, video editing style, video effects of the show were undoubtedly reminiscent of a Nopi/Hi-Rev tuners type of show.

Is the grassroots drifting community, or for that matter the hardcore drifting fans still that much of a minority when compared to the show car community?

Was it simply a matter of marketing towards the larger target audience?
                          Because it shows a mockery of what we believe and worked hard on. If you want to make a show about something you believe. The least you want to do is tell the facts and show how it is. Not how you want the "MAJORITY" to see how "flashy" or how much "crowd pleasing" it is. It's like a preacher telling the listener that Jesus was a gangster with a gun in his hand. Think of the outcome that it will create. Think about the new comers that will start drifting for all of the wrong reasons. All I want to see and hear are real facts and a person that have experience on the particular subject to tell it.

I watched their "promo" video. and they said, that their "backdrop" will be around the "drifting community" I think they need to keep that promise.

Comment

• Redline TV

Most of you sound like bitter little pimply faced kids that do not know sh*t. I agree that Alex knows more about drifting than Cortney, but any of you that want to see more of him than of her, should probably have their eyes checked.

Comment

• guys i just had a revalation, redline tv told me that if i start to drift i can be sponsored and Courtney Day will go out with me...

Comment

• Re: Wow...contaminate the scene????

Originally posted by craiglieberman
                                Something mainstream does NOT contaminate it...it infuses new life into it.

With mainstream media attention comes corporate sponsors; with corporate sponsorships comes the advancement of the sport...and the enrichment of the sports' participants.
                                By "life" you must mean money, and by "advancement" you must mean the sponsor's vision for what it should be.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the music world....you think Snoop would be happy being a "purist flying under the corporate radar?" Hell no, he takes the corporate money and leads the life he chooses.
                                Snoop also has his own label so that he CAN do what he wants.

Its' happened in pro skateboarding, pro volleyball, surfing, jet skiing, you name it...eventually, the corporations come in.
                                ...and these sports have never been more commercial, alienating a large portion of the people involved in the beginning. Making something more commercial doesn't make it better, it changes who is involved. Alternatively, are any of these sports better now that there's bazillions of dollars fueling them?

For those of you who may scream "look what TF&TF did to the tuner world," keep in mind that NONE of the automotive shows on TV would be on right now if the mainstream audiences hadn't walked out of that movie wanting more. Even MTV is finally getting into the game, launching their own series later this year.
                                Are you saying that Hot Rod TV, Horsepower TV, My Classic Car, Trucks, and many others are byproducts of a blockbuster movie? Again, is the tuning world a better place with shows like Nopi Tuner-vision and Super2ner TV?

Keep in mind that many OE's have now responded to this demand and cars like the Evo and WRX are in direct response to demand generated partly by more mainstream acceptance of trends. People like Drifting.com members pioneer become 'cool' and more importantly, "opinion leaders," and someday you might be fortunate enough to make a living from your passion.
                                If a car company produces a fast AWD car in a tight little affordable package, it is going to sell. The demand is there whether there has been more emphasis on accepting trends or not. There is nothing trendy (and no I'm not extrapolating the use of "trend" to mean "trendy") about the WRX or EVO anyway - they will be seen as formidable performance machines years from now.

In my opinion, you have two choices:
                                Deny it, be a "purist" and do what you want on your own dime

Embrace it...get paid well for it, and still do what you want.
                                As long as what you want is outlined in your contract with the sponsor.

There's nothing wrong with being a purist...I'm one too (having owned/built 39 cars, mortgaged up to my eyeballs for cars and having given up my first wife to keep having cool cars I believe makes me a purist)
                                It doesn't matter if you've built 5 or 50 cars, and it also does not matter how much money you've put on the line. I'm not trying to offend anyone or calling any names, but being obsessed does not equal being a purist.

...but to resist the infusion of capital into a grassroots sports is exactly what's been keeping SCCA unpopular with America's youth for 30 years.
                                Who says the SCCA is unpopular with youth? There are thousands of people who love the SCCA and wouldn't race anywhere else. Getting mroe sponsors isn't going to change what people like, it will just ram it down their throats.

They FINALLY woke up and accepted drifting...why? With it came sponsorship dollars.
                                So it wasn't because a lot of its members wanted to see it in SCCA's regular events...

That's today's economics lesson...take it for whatever its' worth.
                                Perhaps the same should be done with the drifting world...

------------------------------

Originally posted by Boost Squared I agree that Alex knows more about drifting than Cortney, but any of you that want to see more of him than of her, should probably have their eyes checked.
                                So just have Alex dub for Cortney and everyone will be happy.

------------------------------

If sponsors get involved that is fine, but they WILL contaminate the scene if they try and invluence it rather than let the sponsored driver tell them what they want and need. Parts cost money, events cost money, TV coverage costs money, but drifting isn't about money and drifting isn't about cramming some ideal disguised in a coating of neon and sparkle paint down soeone's throat. Drifting is one of the last things in this world that isn't controlled by those who have money. Nobody had better EVER try and take that away from us!!!

-MR
                                Last edited by mranlet; 07-07-2004, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X