Ask ALEX PFEIFFER Something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackTruenoAE86
    It really depends at what level of competition you wish to run. Your not going to do good at D1 or FD with 140hp. Even though the blacktop claims to have 170 flywheel hp, its far from it. But the blacktop can be very reliable and get good gas mileage if you still use your car on the street. For the 16v, it all depends on how well you can build it for the price.

ONtheROADagain,
    The 20v is cool. It wasnt really me that chose to turbo the car but my friend stan who owned it back then. He home made a turbo setup on it which was in really bad shape but it added about 40hp to the thing. He got addicted to the extra hp but ended up taking off the turbo since he was using the car as a daily driver. When he got another car, then he wanted to build up the car again to run in NASA or Speed Trial events and he wanted some hp so people wouldnt just fly past you on the straight aways. So i convinced him to let me build a better setup but still keep it under a budget. My deal was that i would beable to use the car too for drift events. After the car was put together, he used it maybe a couple track events and i ended up using it alot more at the drift events. Since i used the car alot more, i ended up buying the car off him. Lets just say that I am not happy with the turbo setup it has because i made it so cheep, There are alot of things i would have changed or done differently if it was my car to begin with.

drifterd,
    It depends how bad you messed up the GTS. Cars are getting harder and harder to get. If you can get another chassy thats already street legal, then thats alot easier then getting one that you have to salvage title and get smoged.

FC_RAUL
    First off, auto x is a different kind of driving then anything else. The speed, the amount of turns, and the short distance play into learning how to drive within a specfic "style" inorder to get good times. That "style" of driving is only good for one thing, and that is auto X.

People think that they learn alot about driving when they auto X, this is not true. (unless you spend years autoXing). There are a couple reasons why, first is your usually too nervous to do anything more then yank the wheel back and forth. Which means your not smooth and your not really paying attention to what you are doing and how the car reacted to it. Second is you only go threw the course a few times. This means there is not much learning potential since you never get a feel for the full course.

Autox is like what, $35 to $45 for a few runs, then some areas you have to be scca member ($75 a year). That means its about $10 a lap, plus you have to cone chase (pick up cones or work). A nasa or a club event that you take your street car to the track has the same rules for safety equipment you need. Which is basicly a helmet and a running car. The range in price from about $125 to $200 a day. In the day most will give you 4 sessions or more at about 20 minutes each. Normal road coarse race tracks are about 2 to 3.5 miles in length, about 15 different turns, and take 2 minutes or less to go around. You get usually 8-12 laps a session so just say you got 35 laps because someone crashed and they ended one of your sessions early. Even at $200 for the day thats $5.75 a lap, and you didnt have to pick up cones. The best parts is you have alot more opertunity to learn since you ran the turns so many more times in one day, you have more time to relax and get an actual feel of what you and your car is doing good or bad, you have instructors that can jump in with you, or just have one of your friends jump in is always fun, I think your probably getting what im saying by now.
    BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• Hey Alex, I was wondering what your opinion is about the Mazda Miata as a drift car and track car. Thanks.

Comment

• Track car ok, drift car no, street car is *Censored**Censored**Censored*!!!
        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

• What do you think would be the perfect engine for the AE86 chassis.

I am thinking a K20 or a small block V8 (alluminum block) would be a cool swap.

Max

Comment

• illegalgarage

if you put a small block in a 86 all that i can say is I wana drive that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*

Comment

• The only motor that should be in a ae86 is a 4ag. If your going to do a swap, start off with a FC or something else.

Comment

• What about for DDR playing MR2 owners? What motor should they put in to their MR2s?

Comment

• thanks Alex

After doing some research on club4ag I have decided to just put another 4ag into my 86..... A local shop around here told me they can get a 4ag from japan for $575, i will just need to use my intake and what not.

Thanks for the responces....

Alex if you ever have a reason to come to Idaho, you'll have to look me up

Kelten

Comment

• alex do you ever think that starting off drifting in a lower powered car has helped you in the long run? have you been able to aquire more techniques?

Comment

• Well I don't plan on friving at FD or D1...More like Drift Show Off and Drift Day Local Events...I know Hiro has about 150 and Al has 128 to the wheels...What Things Should I do to my 16v, it has a 81mm over bore w/ 10:7 Comp. Pistons...I was thinking some PDM cams...

Thanks In Advance

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                        The only motor that should be in a ae86 is a 4ag. If your going to do a swap, start off with a FC or something else.

whats wrong with the 3S, seems like it works well for an 86

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer

First off, auto x is a different kind of driving then anything else. The speed, the amount of turns, and the short distance play into learning how to drive within a specfic "style" inorder to get good times. That "style" of driving is only good for one thing, and that is auto X.

People think that they learn alot about driving when they auto X, this is not true. (unless you spend years autoXing). There are a couple reasons why, first is your usually too nervous to do anything more then yank the wheel back and forth. Which means your not smooth and your not really paying attention to what you are doing and how the car reacted to it. Second is you only go threw the course a few times. This means there is not much learning potential since you never get a feel for the full course.

Autox is like what, $35 to $45 for a few runs, then some areas you have to be scca member ($75 a year). That means its about $10 a lap, plus you have to cone chase (pick up cones or work). A nasa or a club event that you take your street car to the track has the same rules for safety equipment you need. Which is basicly a helmet and a running car. The range in price from about $125 to $200 a day. In the day most will give you 4 sessions or more at about 20 minutes each. Normal road coarse race tracks are about 2 to 3.5 miles in length, about 15 different turns, and take 2 minutes or less to go around. You get usually 8-12 laps a session so just say you got 35 laps because someone crashed and they ended one of your sessions early. Even at $200 for the day thats $5.75 a lap, and you didnt have to pick up cones. The best parts is you have alot more opertunity to learn since you ran the turns so many more times in one day, you have more time to relax and get an actual feel of what you and your car is doing good or bad, you have instructors that can jump in with you, or just have one of your friends jump in is always fun, I think your probably getting what im saying by now.
                          I'm sorry, no offense to you, but what you just said is ridiculous... People don't learn a lot about driving from autoXing? How in the world can you say that? Driving with a specific "style" to get good times? are you kidding me? Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for drifting, I am getting into it myself, but otuside of the drifting world, the name of the game is not "style" it's about getting around a track, course, or whatever in the shortest amount of time possible. Obviously this goes without saying, but no one should be confusing autoXing with having to have a certain style to do it.

I have never known anyone that was too nervous to try to drive well at an autocross. When it comes to learning from a course, you have many course walk throughs, and many runs to get a feel for it. AutoX for an entire season, and you start to recognize different parts of different courses, and eveything begins to become more natural to you. Maybe I am just lucky where I autocross, but we get 6 official runs per day, it's $15-$20 depending on the event, and then there are $1 fun-runs after wards. You can get 10+ runs in a day for $20.

Autocrossing is a great motorsport for anyone. It is affordable, you can be competitive no matter what kind of car you drive, and you really get a chance to develop your technical driving skills. Autocrossing is a very technical motorsport, and it is said that people who start off autoXing, make great road racers, rally drivers, etc. However it doesn't work the other way around. People that start off road/track racing, tend to not do so well autoXing. You learn to pay your dues autoXing, and it definately pays off in the end.

I could probably go on for a while about it, but I'll just stop here. I'm wasted from new years eve, and probably should get some sleep. I just clicked a link that directed me to this thread (regarding the KTS coilovers mentioned earlier) and I couldn't believe what I was reading. You had to have expected some sort of response when making those types of accusations about autoXing, so I guess I'm just that person responding... You're a cool guy, I met you at the RS*R event in Illinois, I just can't not post my thoughs on the issue.

happy new years guys,
                          peace

Comment

• wutangben
                            I just expressed my opininons on autox. I personally did it for a couple years and was successfull at learning that style of driving but as soon as i got to run on a road coarse, those 2 years of autoxing to me seemed like a big waste. This has nothing to do with drifting. That a whole different style of driving you need to learn separetly.

You may be lucky enough in your part of the country to get more runs but plain and simple, from my experience, coming from all aspects of driving (go read my bio on page 1), if you want to really learn how to drive, autox isnt the place for it. Try out a road coarse event for a day and see the difference. You wont look back ether unless your commited to the autox community already. But it sounds like you already are, just keep an open mind about it.

hatebbobbarker,
                            First off its not a 4ag. Second is it cost too much to make hp, you may as well put an sr20 in your car, and if your going to do that you have to change the rear end too, hmm, sounds like you just made an overpriced s13. If you cant handle the low hp of a 4ag, then dont get a ae86.

BlackTruenoAE86
                            Try and keep things simple, the more you build the motor, the less money you have for other things. A 4ag motor is very touchy, if something is wrong, it wont make much hp at all. So all that effort kinda goes to waste when you could have just got a stock 20v.

Craftsman,
                            Same, stick to the motor that came in the car. People who go threw motor swaps do it to be different. And it is that. But do you actually make the car better or just adding to the confusion of the car. Keep things clean and simple.

Comment

• Alex what kind of brake pads do you use?

Comment

• Would you mind elaborating a little on your opinion of the miata as a drift car?

Comment

Working...
                                X