Benson Hsu Interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benson Hsu Interview!

Ok I think that Ask Someone something was kinda goofy... So I had to rename it..

Anyways...

Benson Hsu, how does it feel to qualify D1? What did it entail? What do you expect from your competition and future in racing?

You work at Overboost as a programmer correct? How did you end up getting that gig?

Haha, okay here goes...

Qualifying for D1 was kind of a strange feeling. I didn't know what to expect, since us Americans seem to have such bad luck in D1 events. At the first D1 drivers search, I didn't make it because I was obsessed with entry speed and forgot about the other things like line and angle. At the 2nd US drivers search right before the D1 in 2004, I crashed my friend Richard's car during practice... that was due to not thinking with a clear mind, being star-struck drifting behind nomuken and his r34, and drifting a new car for the first time. This drivers search kind of became "just another drivers search" to me, and I wasn't expecting too much, and I wasn't thinking too much about the event before hand. Even during the day, I wasn't stressed out too much or thinking too much like I usually do at the competitions. I think mostly because it wasn't a competition to me... just a drivers search. I think most of my success from the day was due to keeping calm and being confident in myself... it's weird that whenever I am not thinking about anything, I do my best. The thing that made my day though, wasn't getting the d1 license... it was when Kumakubo walked up to me at the end of the day, when I was out of my suit and in my stock street car (he shouldn't have been able to recognize me) and he gave me a thumbs up and told me "good job". He's the driver that I look up to most, and that meant the most to me that day.

As for my future in competition in racing... my career is so young still and has a lot of maturing to do, as a driver and a person. I don't know what is in the far future, but for now, the KAAZ car still has a lot of work to be done on it... the car was running really really badly at the drivers search, and will be running in the same condition for formula d this weekend. For now, I'll just have to cope with it, but in the near future I think the car has the potential to be awesome... I'm excited, because even while running crappy, the car has helped me out a TON in the past few events.

As for my job at overboost... i had a really great job right out of college in downtown LA, but a couple months later, the economy went horrible and 25% of the company was laid off (including me). After living off of credit cards for almost a year, I found overboost, and I've been here ever since. I pretty much have my hands in all of the website stuff we have going on here... I just did formulad.com! Now the thing is updated all the time instead of once a year!

okay. i know i'm boring. sorry!

Comment

So who is the girl in your avatar?

Matt.

Comment

benson!

hey benson congras on ur win and entry into the big dog world of drifting!!! oh and thanx for the ride along at just drift...(im the lil white kid that rode with ya) best of luck at formulaD maybe ill see ya around... congras again!

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
          So who is the girl in your avatar?

Matt.
          That would be my girlfriend Nadine from nadine180.com... she's a girl drifter, and one of the co-founders for the girl drifting organization Drifting Pretty. Also, she is a dork.

Comment

Re: benson!

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
            hey benson congras on ur win and entry into the big dog world of drifting!!! oh and thanx for the ride along at just drift...(im the lil white kid that rode with ya) best of luck at formulaD maybe ill see ya around... congras again!
            thanks! sorry, i'm still not as warmed up to that track as I'd like to be... if you're out there next time I'm there, ask for a ride again so that I can redeem myself!

Comment

.. hey

hey it works scared the crap out of me!!! next time ill be in my car hopfully so u can show me how to improve my skills.. or better yet drive my car.. and ill take ya up on that ride along too! thanx

Riley

Comment

Originally posted by BensonHsu
                That would be my girlfriend Nadine from nadine180.com... she's a girl drifter, and one of the co-founders for the girl drifting organization Drifting Pretty. Also, she is a dork.
                Actually I'd consider her to be a dumbass.

Nadine (4:20:57 PM): that is *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*!

HAHAAHAHAH

-alex

Comment

Benson, at least you got good taste in girls...

So are you going to be running your Sil80 for D1 or are you running someone else's car?

Matt.

Comment

Hsu,
                    How did you learn about drifting and what possessed you to go out and learn it? Also, what was your first experience trying to drift, any accidents or midnight sessions?

Oh yeah, i agree on with the comment of your taste in girls, she's photogentic and a dork - score.

Comment

um... what does the D1 license look like? could u post a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by yarzan
                        um... what does the D1 license look like? could u post a pic?
                        Umm... Are you trying to make a fake license?

Matt.

Comment

Benson - do you like Nesquik or Ovaltine better when it comes to powdered chocolate drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                            Benson, at least you got good taste in girls...

So are you going to be running your Sil80 for D1 or are you running someone else's car?

Matt.
                            Well, I'm one of the KAAZ drivers for the rest of this year and possibly next year also... so I will be driving the white KAAZ car. It's going to be interesting... My car has always been underpowered on the oval and I could never drift on it, so now I have to learn how to drift the oval in the new car.

Comment

Hey benson,
                              this might sound kind of corny,
                              but you are a big role model to me and friends. You are our favorite drifter, and keep doing what you do bro.
                              Everytime I go and drift, I turn my bass down, and yell DRIFTER STYLE!

Glad to meet you man,

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X