Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bimmer good for drifting?

im a newbie. family member gave me a used 700 series for school

anyone have any drifting experience with it and is it good?

Just a 700 series? You don't even remember the designation?

It's rwd and has decent power. You could drift it, but I'm guessing your insurance wouldn't like to pony up the cash to pay for repairs.

Comment

oh, sorry. it's a 1999 740i sport pkg. it's got about 190k miles and has been banged around a lot. that's why it was given to me. fine by me -- it runs fine.

Comment

700 series BMW's are huge, and I'm not sure about the agility of such a large car and the effects on drifting. Usually smaller 300 series BMW's are used because they're eiser to control, and the power to weight ratio is more favorable. Fixing a BMW is probably a pain in the wallet though, so just take it easy and go autocross first.

Comment

damn its 1999 it has a 190k miles!!! damn where the hell they get this kinda fukin car??? enterprise.... yeah its a very HUGE car!!! and yes its DRIFTABLE!!! happy...

Comment

Lol

It's something to start on.

My suggestion to you is to be gentle and very cautious when starting out. Spend a good amount of time learning the car first. Just drive normally. Get a good feel of the car. Start pushing it and get used to how it behaves towards the limits. When you get comfortable pushing it hard, drift should slide in easily since you're almost there by this time(several months down the line). I'm serious about the time thing. If you want to be safe, you have to know the car. This takes time and a slow progression to the limits.

Now sure, you could just skip that, hop in the car and hit the gas and see what happens. However, it's a bit...foolish. If you must get right into it. Be safe, use your head, practice in a safe area where you couldn't possibly do damage to the car or anyone else and their property. A track is of course a good place to go, but I know not many people have access to such places.

For other "practice areas" all I can say is be safe, use your head, be VERY concious about others and how your behavior affects those around you. Pose NO risk to others or their property when practicing drifting. If you can't do that, then don't do it. That's how I feel anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Drift For Food
              Lol

It's something to start on.

My suggestion to you is to be gentle and very cautious when starting out. Spend a good amount of time learning the car first. Just drive normally. Get a good feel of the car. Start pushing it and get used to how it behaves towards the limits. When you get comfortable pushing it hard, drift should slide in easily since you're almost there by this time(several months down the line). I'm serious about the time thing. If you want to be safe, you have to know the car. This takes time and a slow progression to the limits.

Now sure, you could just skip that, hop in the car and hit the gas and see what happens. However, it's a bit...foolish. If you must get right into it. Be safe, use your head, practice in a safe area where you couldn't possibly do damage to the car or anyone else and their property. A track is of course a good place to go, but I know not many people have access to such places.

For other "practice areas" all I can say is be safe, use your head, be VERY concious about others and how your behavior affects those around you. Pose NO risk to others or their property when practicing drifting. If you can't do that, then don't do it. That's how I feel anyways.
              do what he said!!! play w/ ur pedal... one time i was talking in the phone i was losing concentration on my driving so i got surprise that the car in front of me is braking so i quickly brake but i didnt push all the way, my point is that i brake suddently but i know my car so well that i could manage my braking distance without thinking even if its a quick responce... CAUTIOUS your driving a BMW every part is VERY EXPENSIVE!!! most part are atleast 500$$$ and you cant go to any shop!!! so keep it in you mind that a BIMMER IS VERY STUPIDTLY EXPENSIVE!!!

Comment

Hmmm that things is a pretty huge beast! Hmmm its its the 740, 4.0 V8 I think. The engine is more than enough but the only thing is the actual chassis design and weight. But I would say, shave some wieght, get a new suspension, and keep your engine regularly checked. Remeber this is a 4.0, not no 1.6 so just be careful if you do push it!

Comment

Hmm, there was a nice little clip of a larger(if I'm not mistaken) BMW drifting in the rain one some on/off ramp clover leaf things. It looked amazingly smooth from initial slide to regaining of traction. I'm not sure where it is. I don't know if it came from this forum or from Kazaa or wherever I may have come across it.

If anybody has an idea of the video clip I'm talking about, feel free to post a link. It was being filmed from a chase car. The BMW was newer and gray. It was overcast and rainy.

There have also be other clips with a mixture of cars, some BMWs. There was even a BMW drift day clip I came across in the past. Bimmers are mixed in quite a few movies you come across. They're not unknown to drifting, but I don't know if I've seen such big ones used.

Comment

An E38? How the hell can you afford insurance?

It has a 4.4 liter V8 and a BMW automatic. The auto should be going already and will be dead soon, even with normal driving. If you drift it, you'll probably be looking at some expensive towing charges and a dead car.

Don't drift it. Anyone who says "go for it" is wrong. The cons far outweigh the pros.

Comment

Grid your opinion is correct when it comes to the automatic and the intial cons > pros but its only money, If he wants to redo alot of crap and has the money, its up to him after all, money is money.

Comment

Well, ive got a '99 BMW M5, with 103k or so miles on it,manual, and It drifts just fine, I mean yeah its a bit heavy, not even close to being as heavy as a 7 series, but its still great. I've had to do a bit of suspension work on it, and put in a sway bar, cuz the body roll, but all in all I think its great. BMWs are great drift cars no matter what anyone tells you, but a 7 series may just be a little too big.

Comment

I'll admit that the idea of a 7 series drifting is cool, but if someone gave me that car I dont think I would be messing around with it, especially if I was new to the sport. Drifting is very abusive on the car so expect things to break. The learning curve is also pretty high so expect to crash (everone does eventually). But hey if you can afford it, then why not. I'm sure I would not be able to afford it so I'd just use it as a daily driver (and a nice one at that). I'd save up a few hundred and buy some RWD POS to learn with. That way if stuff breaks or you wreck it you wont feel as bad (and you'll still be able to get to work/school tomorrow).

Comment

you want to see a badass 7 series go to www.ter-tech.com

Comment

DUDE!!! trust me dont drift w/ it unless ur rich... once you crash probly you have to spend more that the car worth!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X