Feeling discouraged...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pork_poney
    how is the aftermarket as far as they go? i've never been into euro's, but, i'm always open to new things.
    The aftermarket is, in a word, huge. Talk to GridRaceTech about them, he used to rock an E30.

Comment

It took me 6 months to find my S13... and I feel most excellent about it.

Yeah, if you have any e30 (1984-1991 3-series) questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Comment

good luck boi... guess my advise to you, like it matter is to wait up and save up... you aint got money, no car... once you have enough for a car, your gonna be hurtn to hook it up...so good luck to you, and save up... i myself own a hachi... didnt pay nearly wat its worth... but just save...

Comment

thank you, sirs. grid, i guess my main question would be ease of modification. Without any training or prior experience at all i tore apart our ryobi weedwacker and cleaned it up, rebuilt and believe it or not, polished the port and sharpened the bridge in it, and now it runs hecka better. pointless story? not totally. I have a good idea of how a standard engine works, and i can handle alot of things on my own, but i've known alot of euro's to be a pain. a friend had a jetta, i'd swear tupperwear made the engine. all that plastic just turns me off, though, i assume that's geared mostly towards newer model vehicles in general. in short, am i gonna be able to put it in my garage, add basic intake and what not, maybe a cam and all and not have to deal with taking it to a pro (not that i wouldn't, and i'm sure i would)? i want something to learn on, and i'm shooting more for a 300 piece puzzle, and less for a 2500 piece puzzle.

Comment

you will be able to do most of your own work with an e30, and probably with an e36.

Just in case...this is an e30...

and this is an e36...

While sorta pricey to fix and modify, they are good handling, fun, solid cars. They feel "German", which I think is a good thing but results may vary. Don't bother with a 318 or 325e, find yourself a good 325i or 325is and rock it out.

Comment

pork- My e30 was reliable a car as ever has been made. I ran it to 6900rpm at least once a day and flogged the heck out of it for the 10k miles I owned it. It wasn't tempermental at all. The build quality was awesome, and I drove it for 9k miles after I tipped it on its lid after a washing machine incident. Tinkering with it is easy because the engine has architecture back to the '50s. That said, that motor loves a good CAI and sounds brilliant with a properly sorted exhaust.
              However, I am equally in love with my S13 as I was with the e30. They're both dead reliable, and they're both incredible cars. My S13 is much more modified, and is thus faster through the twisties, but nowhere near as tossable. I do truly miss that, but someday I'll find a balance... Anyway, the only problem is that if you don't do your own maintenance on the e30, it'll suck the life from your finances. The motor needs a timing belt change every 40k miles or 3 years. That's a major pain in the arse to replace and it'll cost you at least $350 for a shop to do it for you. The e30 had incredible top-end shove and shout, whereas my S13 is a torque monster and will keep the rear tires broiling almost as long as I want them to be. The S13 is more progressive and forgiving due to its longer wheelbase. The S13 has less headroom, but if you figure out how to get Bride seatrails, you won't have a problem unless you're Shaq. Both have sub-optimal weight distribution, but there are lightening parts available for both. They're two different cars, however: the S13 is incredibly grippy in the twisties, and very forgiving to drive sideways, and the e30 was pretty good in the twisties, and an absolute blast to just toss from side to side in chicanes or between cones, but was a little twitchy for my tastes, and the steering is a bit numb. The e30 (originally, before the accident) felt as if it was hewn from a solid ingot of steel, and the S13 rattles and flexes, due in no small part to the enormous difference in spring rates. (~soft, no more than 250lbs/in compared to 448lbs front and 336lbs rear) With some properly done chassis bracing, I have a feeling I'll get the S13 sufficiently stiff.

My final word: I'll own another e30 in my lifetime, but I think I'm going to keep this S13 for a long time.

Comment

I was looking for a 240 for a long time to replace my supra. I finally got one without even properly test driving on before hand. And while it is a nice car, its ok, personally I don't think the build quality is on par with Toyota or Honda. Nissans are also made out of recycled metal, which in my case (Canadian car) they rust quite badly.

Don't waste your money on a high priced 240 since they are in demand. There are lots of reliable (KEY) RWD cars that you can have fun in and learn to slide.

I offer for example the Mk2 toyota Supra. Now, some people cannot adopt too its styling but heres the facts.

They are CHEAP, many in good shape for under 1Kus. They come stock with 145-160hp. Intake and exhaust are good for say another 10hp. Up here you can buy the direct bolt in 6MGE 3.0 for about 300Us, it has 190hp. The car weighs around 3000lbs, it has Independent rear suspension and very neutral handling. I've done lots of sliding in this car and found it very capable.

Also consider a N/A Mk3 supra. They are 200hp, 3400lbs, and come with even better suspension. I wouldn't bother with a turbo car, they are expensive, terrible milage and unreliable. Again a car you can pick up for CHEAP.

Since I own a S13 Coupe I make the direct comparison without bias. Although the S13 is light and it leads too nice transitional handling, I personally perfer Supras. I would stay away from expensive to maintain and costly part german cars.

But thats just me!

Comment

Thank you both very much. I think that pic of the e30 did it for me. i like the bimmer idea, alot.

this is the sex, yes?

Comment

That'll work, perhaps. It really depends on what the "minor issues" are. They're a fairly common car and you can afford to be somewhat pickey when you go looking for one.

I'm sorta a fan of the 325is, it's got a couple of nice things about it cosmeticly and feature wise, but there's really not much difference between it and the 325i if I remember correctly. Both are like 175 hp, etc etc.

get Grid to fill you in with some of the good BMW forums, so you can research teh cars and any problem areas, so you know what to look for.

Comment

mkay, groovin. well, I know jack about the e30/36, so some specs would be awesome. i must say the inline sitting under the hood of the 36 does at least look hecka sweet. anyways, yeah, forums or whatever. it's all good, i think i might start saving for a 36 though, it just sort of looks like a better car, the 30 is just getting too old.(i have to have reliability too, as it will be my daily driver)

Comment

Don't make me eat your soul for saying the e30 is unreliable. If well-taken-care-of, I've seen e30s pass 400k miles, without benefit of a rebuild.
                        Screw the E36. Build quality is iffy and, despite the fact that I drive an E36 M3 occasionally, I don't like them much.
                        The e30 325i/iS is specced as such:
                        2.5L inline six
                        168hp@5800rpm
                        164lb-ft@4300rpm
                        3.83 rear, open 325i/LSD 325iS
                        2811lbs
                        53/47 weight distribution
                        MacPherson strut front/semi-trailing arm rear

By the way... check this out:
                        http://195.241.75.99/kladblog/image/200409/dukes.wmv

Comment

good deal, so the is does have an lsd? that may make it worth the extra, although, most of the is' i've seen were running alot more money (obviously i don't know that this is consistent since this is like the first time i've ever even looked for bmw's) but, maybe it would be cheaper to just save a few grand on the i and get an lsd?

ahhh heck, screw it, just someone give me a car, lol. i know someone has some extras lying around.

Comment

I know where there's a few different vehicles, if all you want is cheap

Comment

lol, nah, it's ok, i'll keep saving. anyways, you guys have been really helpful and i appreciate your time very much. I think i may go try and drive that one 89 i showed you, as it's only about 20 miles from here. if it looks like i could possibly get it, i'll be sure and consult you folks first, since, again, bmw's aren't my thing, so i don't really know what to look for. I guess i have alot of studying to do tonight thanks again.

Comment

no problem.

this put's my score at

people helped: 1
                                people insulted: 3,254 give or take a few hundred

Comment

Working...
                                X