No announcement yet.

Feeling discouraged...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW's are totally cool, like these guys say, butter smooth motors, strong build quality BUT EXPENSIVE PARTS.

If I knew what I know now when I bought my Supra Turbo, I would have never gotten it. Easy to fix with cheap parts in a reliable car is super important, don't discount the supras, at least try one out, you'll be pleased I assure you!

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, the parts for e30s are not all that expensive. The labor costs suck, but that's why you should be handy with tools.

pork_poney: I'd actually recommend a four-door. They have better weight distribution and for an additional $250, you could buy a 4.10 limited-slip from an M3 or automatic 325iS.

Comment

yeah, i was looking at mostly 4doors. i don't know what it is about the "saloon" that gets me going, it's just such a more balanced look to me. er34>bnr34 accord4>accordcoupe, so on and so forth. i like that sled look. and more importantly, and good lord only knows why i'm like this, but, i'm considerably more comfortable driving a sedan. eventhough sedans and coupes are usually the same length and all, or really close, i feel like i've got nothing behind me in a coupe. besides, 4 doors are nice when you've got gear to carry, and i've got plenty.

anyways, i go in at 8 tomorrow for 9 hours, and repeat on tuesday, and then thursday i start real hours, so, in about 3 weeks i'll have my first pay check it will probably be close to a few months (unless daddy will co-sign on a loan, which, we might have to look into) but my goal (as a youngin') is to save enough to pay a year's insurance, just incase i lose my job, so i'll be safe with that, then go ahead and start saving up for a car.

any advice as far as finances go? i've heard alot of people say get a home improvement loan, since the interest is alot better than an auto loan, but, i'm 18, and i've yet to learn jack squat about any sort of financial issues, so, fill me in.

Comment

Don't don't don't owe money on this car.

Just take my word for it. I would never owe money on a 2,000 or 3,000 dollar car again.

Comment

well, i didn't want to owe on it, nessicarily, unless i could work something with ridiculously low interest. heck, i have no idea what i'm talking about. i do understand that making payments on a 3000 dollar car would be absurd. the only reason i'd go that route is if it was the ONLY way i could get the car and i was getting soem sort of amazing deal, otherwise, i really don't care much for the idea of making payments.

Comment

If you're speakin of bimmers, I recommend the E21 which is probably the most overlooked 3 series (it being the original). I owned a 1983 320iS for 3 years, the iS version came with the Recaro buckets, LSD, all the cosmetic stuff, and 13" sport wheels by lemmur. It only had 112 hp but for only weighing 2200lbs (around there) it was a lot faster than it seemed. I bought it for $500 in fair condition, repaired all the rust and put on some Bilsteins, K&N intake, falken azennis stickys, and let her loose on the local autocross club. Handles great stock but the bilsteins helped me win my class two out of the three years (damn subie). You can pick em up much cheaper than a E30 or especially an E36, just make sure its a 320iS the others dont come with the LSD. Here are some pics...

As for S13 model 240s there is a fastback 91 here (North Carolina) for sale for $1500 in pretty good condition, only 130k on speedometer. I could give you number and such.
              Last edited by 003; 10-25-2004, 10:56 AM.

Comment

though you did a good job with your bimmer, i really can't say i'm too fond of that generation. i'd rather have the little extra power and i think the e30's look alot better. just personal opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickdmarz
                  WOOOOW Your crazy!! I hope it was S14 you bought for 4500, or you GOT RIP OFF!!!! I got mine, an S13, for 1400 in Feb, SE coupe with sunroof, alarm, and clean title.

well 1st off, if u read my post carefully, it said 240 fastback, i dont think S14s come in fastbacks....duh.....and 2nd, the condition of the car was very clean (except paint job), and i paid extra 1000 for the guy to drive it down where i live, he drove it from somewhere in the west coast, near cali.......so it was actually $3500, which wasnt too bad.....im happy for u that u got your 240 for 1400, but i dont really care...... ......oh yea, if u read the whole thing, i listed a few mods that came wit the car...duh....im guessing u got your car bone stock right?......sigh....read before u think and write people.....

Comment

I think you still got boned on that deal. Also you could have shipped it for less than 1k and saved the car from all those miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                      I think you still got boned on that deal. Also you could have shipped it for less than 1k and saved the car from all those miles.

how much did u pay for your car?....did it come wit ne mods?....if not, of course its gonna be a lot cheaper.....look up shipping rates from the west coast to the east coast, if u can find neone thats willing to ship for less than $1000, then i stand corrected, if not......

Comment

Originally posted by 180sxdorift2
                        well 1st off, if u read my post carefully, it said 240 fastback, i dont think S14s come in fastbacks....duh.....and 2nd, the condition of the car was very clean (except paint job), and i paid extra 1000 for the guy to drive it down where i live, he drove it from somewhere in the west coast, near cali.......so it was actually $3500, which wasnt too bad.....im happy for u that u got your 240 for 1400, but i dont really care...... ......oh yea, if u read the whole thing, i listed a few mods that came wit the car...duh....im guessing u got your car bone stock right?......sigh....read before u think and write people.....
                        Wow...I didn't think you were ever going to reply, lol, a little slow too huh?? But I just saw 240, $4500...From what I looked up on the mods you have...I still say only about 2500. Plus buying a modded car means someone messed with it, so who knows what else they did before.

Only 240 worth 3500 or 4500 is something with an SR in it. The engine alone is 2k, so I say give or take a few for the car.
                        Last edited by Wickdmarz; 10-26-2004, 10:23 PM.

Comment

how much did u pay for your car?....did it come wit ne mods?....if not, of course its gonna be a lot cheaper.....look up shipping rates from the west coast to the east coast, if u can find neone thats willing to ship for less than $1000, then i stand corrected, if not......
                          Well, this bucket was 300 bucks bone stock.

My camaro was cheaper at 200, looks cleaner, and came with a vette servo in the 700R4 which was nice. I don't have pics, unfortunately.

You got boned.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
                            Well, this bucket was 300 bucks bone stock.

My camaro was cheaper at 200, looks cleaner, and came with a vette servo in the 700R4 which was nice. I don't have pics, unfortunately.

You got boned.

well, its a vw...and old, right?.....not very attractive lookin car, but thats just me, its great u got a deal on it.....like i said, old, unattractive vw, great deal if its just a beater for u.....where do u get your cars from??....why do u have sooo many??......do u really need so many cars?...or is it that they keep breakin down on u and u gotta get another car for 2-300???....sounds to me, your boning yourself.....dont take it personal, just assuming from what u wrote, thats all.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wickdmarz
                              Wow...I didn't think you were ever going to reply, lol, a little slow too huh?? But I just saw 240, $4500...From what I looked up on the mods you have...I still say only about 2500. Plus buying a modded car means someone messed with it, so who knows what else they did before.

Only 240 worth 3500 or 4500 is something with an SR in it. The engine alone is 2k, so I say give or take a few for the car.

yea sorry i took so long to reply .....u may be right in your own mind that i got screwed over for the car, thats your opinion and im fine wit it....in my mind, a car wit the mods i listed seemed like a decent deal for me at that time....now if u go online to buy a 240 they're usually a lot more expensive cuz they're in high demand, a 240 wit SR will be likely more than 35-4500 cuz the owner will probably be lookin to make a profit....dont know where u got your car, but i wish i was lucky as u, but i wasnt.....i also dont think i got ripped off for it though.....whatevers, lets just drop this plz.....

Comment

Let's not.

well, its a vw...and old, right?.....not very attractive lookin car, but thats just me, its great u got a deal on it.....like i said, old, unattractive vw, great deal if its just a beater for u
                                Errr...other than you having no idea what it is, and professing it to be ugly, I suppose it is my daily driver.

.....where do u get your cars from??
                                Indepenendent, individual sellers (i.e. not a dealership)

....why do u have sooo many??
                                Two didn't strike me as being "so many", but whatever.

......do u really need so many cars?...or is it that they keep breakin down on u and u gotta get another car for 2-300???....sounds to me, your boning yourself.....dont take it personal, just assuming from what u wrote, thats all.....
                                Well...as stated, I have two. They are dynamic opposites...one is a lightweight oldschool hot hatch, the other is a RWD v8 american coupe. What one can't do, the other can. Both of them need more work, but both also run very strong. I buy my cars so cheaply because I find vehicles that other people don't want or need, or that don't run right and they can't deal with. I do all my own work, so there's no labor charges for repairs. Neither car has ever left me on the side of the road.

I posted as examples of cars that are around the same age as yours. If I can find these fairly decent cars so cheaply I see no reason you should be paying 4500 bucks for an old 240, other than the 240 is the new civic and every tom *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* and harry wants one. As far as the price going up due to modifications, that holds a little water but not much. You KNOW a modded car has been beaten like the Yankees, and just like the car themself they depreciate in value as soon as you recieve them in the mail. For 4500 dollars in a car that's upwards of 12 or 15 years old I would expect something very much above average. Probably a clan SR swapped car, like Ms. Marz said.

Comment

Working...
                                X