Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valkyrie
    A liar.

First, he'd probably blow the block with that much boost (or the boost creep without a serious wastegate would do it for him).

Second, just a turbo and some exaust bits (or any amount of fuel tuning) can't get you that much power no matter how much boost you're running.

And third, you couldn't do it without upgraded internals (like cams, low-comp pistons, etc) and an FMIC (not having a big intercooler for that kind of boost would basically make it all impossible, imo).

Not to say that it couldn't be done (because I don't know if it could or not), but not with those parts.

Either that or he left about 20 major upgraded parts out of that list.
    This is incorrect. An SR20 is capable of high-horsepower applications but it just costs a truckload.

If he was serious he probably has ductile iron sleaves and a block guard to prevent such a catastrophy.

Second, he stated that he had a Tomei stroker which raises the displacement to 2.2 liters which develops more tourqe at a lower engine speed and builds boost faster. If he had a custom exhaust manifold with a big turbo and all the necessary fuel delivery mods and tuning the motor would be able to withstand over 40psi of boost.

And third, it is very feasible for a machined, balanced and blue-printed shortblock to withstand insane amounts of power. With high lift/duration cams, upgraded valve train and some headwork, the SR20 cylinder head will flow a signifigant amount of airflow over a stock head which would make big power. It is possible to fit an intercooler on an S14 big enough to support 8-950rwhp. It may require removal of the 5mph bumper but its possible.

Yes its very possible, drivable would depend on the driver. Affordability would be possible if you with a six-figure income or if someone knew how to tune, fabricate and do the work themself.

Hehe Top Secret's head technician owns an 800rwhp Kouki S14. It was in an issue of Max Power and was featured in their Beasts from the East video. I've researched making big power on an SR20 and found that it'd be cheaper to buy a Vette, RB26 swap or any of the other bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* Japanese cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie
      I'm not an expert, but I think it a bare-minimum list would be something like this:

SR20DET (I think turboing a KA probably wouldn't be worth the effort)
      Well you're half right. You're right about not being an expert. But I won't hold that against you because I'm not either, we all learn at different times.

The SR20DET would be too costly to be made reliable at 600rwhp. It would be better to build a KA turbo. The SR20 is 2.0L liters, has an aluminum block and the swap usually costs over $2000 after its up and running. You'd probably have to buy a stroker to spool a turbo that'd flow enough cfm to make 600hp at the tires. Whats the going rate on those now? 4-6 grand? Too much money!!! After that you'd need an AEM EMS or Haltech because the SAFC can't control anything over 400hp. Thats $1800 plus install and tuning if you don't have any tuner friends to hook you up and can't do it yourself. We haven't even touched the headwork required for the application.

The advantages of the KA24DE are that it has an IRON block which will withstand the kind of boost ductile iron sleaves would on an SR, it has almost a half a liter more of displacement which means it'd build boost ALOT earlier and make considerably more tourqe. Heres whats needed:

Machined crank: $200 (the machine shop down the street charges that)
      Pauter Rods $599 (will withstand 800hp!!!!!)
      JE Pistons $499 (blah one of the greatest)
      ARP Headstud & Mainbolt kit $289
      This Exhaust Manifold $175
      JWT cams $586
      KA24DE.com valve springs $359
      This turbo $1,249.00
      Supra Turbo Fuel Pump $170
      JWT Fuel rail $300??
      Injectors $389???
      AEM EMS $1400
      SS Fuel Lines and SS braied lines $1200

**This set up would be much cheaper and build boost and tourqe at much lower RPMs than a 600hp SR20 would. Besides its good for 650rwhp
      **I would get a nice P&P job and oversized valves as well
      **I left a few things out but this is the gist of it.

Rear End, Brakes, Suspension, Wheels/Tires and the chassis would also need upgraded. So it'd be an expensive job either way just cheaper and more powerful if you go the KA way.

Comment

Well, at the time I thought that the KA only had a redline of 5800 to 6000 or so, and I think high redlines are cool so that's why I thought so

Also sort of because I heard the stock KA rev limit is really harsh for when it comes to performance driving (ie, it can stall the engine when you're pushing it through a turn or something).

hmm, what IS the redline of the SR and KA anyway? KA is 6500 from what I heard, but what's the SRs?

As for the think about the boost blowing the block, I was sort of assuming that it would be using the stock bottom-end without reinforcement.

With that kind of money I'd just get an FC or FD with a 20B

Or an AE86 hatch with mucho body reinforcement plus a black top 4AGE partially just to sound cool
        Last edited by Valkyrie; 01-29-2005, 06:28 AM.

Comment

You guys gotta stop this tread... if the kids dumb enough to kill himself cause he wont listen to anyone else but himself... so be it. ill see you flying off the side of a mountain one day trying to be takumi fujiwara or KT takahashi or the drift king cause you think you can go balls out in a high horsepower car down a mountain road cause you had one year of permit driving and your automatically the king racer of all. and of you doubting 300 horses with under 3000 you guys have never seen first gen eclipses. my friend got 500 all wheel horses for under 6000 including cost of the car.

Comment

Working...
          X