SR20 / Z33 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20 / Z33 swap

I am sure this has come up, is there a kit availible for the SR20 swap into a Z33? I am sure you need a drive shaft, trany mount, and motor mounts. but it would be nice if a kit already existed.

no kit, that i know of. Talk to chris forsberg / LS Auto.

Comment

its for a customers car.
      he wants us to make the kit, I just want to make sure I am not stepping on anyone elses existing designs.
      I am thinking its not to complicating, using the SR's crossmember we could probably fab that to the Z33, the motor should fit with out any problem. the trany mounts could be difficult depending on how it fits with the motor bolts in. I have a place that makes drive shafts, that shouldnt be a problem.

I dont know how serious the customer is, but if we end up doing the job I will post up some pics

Comment

i dont understand performing this swap in 2006.

chris's car is cool and was really cool back when i 1st saw it because boosted vq's were still blowing up at a rate worthy enough to mass produce al quaida labeled engine covers for them.

now its 2006, and the motors have been figured out, why change it to a 4 cylinder thats almost 1/2 the displacement of the stock one?

whatever i dont know why i even wasted time posting this. to each his own

Comment

personaly I like the Z as it is, I would keep the motor NA and lighten it up, along with a better LSD and some coilovers.

but for some peope power is a must, and doing the SR swap is cheaper then the turbo kit

Comment

i have a hard time understanding that logic.

your looking at 250rwhp from about 4k in engine/parts + labor on top of that. + fabrica

whatever

Comment

the SR20 motor set was $1000
              we are using a crossmember from a clip from a different swap
              to install the motor with the fab work I am charging $1200
              the stand alone ECU/ and install will be $2000
              other labor, pulling the VQ, piping on the SR, will be $500
              comes to about $4700

the 350Z turbo kits that we sell start at $5500 installed

so the SR20 would be $800 less, but make 100hp less

Comment

unless you do a front mount, fuel pump, bigger turbo, injectors, ect, full exhuast, boost controller.... you will be stuck at the stock vq35 hp with the sr20.

and why doesn't he just do a power fc? 2000 is a bit much for an ecu when the budget is so small. i think i pay 750 for those new, and they just plug right in. the map sensor kit is another 150 or so i think.

anyways, dollar for dollar, hp is going to be cheaper with the vq motor already in the car, your reasoning simply doesn't add up. but if the customer simply wants the swap, or is all out for light weight in the end, go for it. don't do it for the wrong reasons.

Comment

$2000 for the stand alone includes the E6X, custom harness, map sensor, install, and tuning.
                  naturaly the swap will include a front mount, and exhaust (thats what I meant by piping) and we will include a fuel pump forgot to mention that.

the swap should make about 250whp (depending on boost settings)

thats about the same as a stock 350Z.

at this point your $4700 into the mods, and its not really any faster, how ever at this point your really only a turbo, injectors, manifold and a wastegate away from 400hp from. and there would be no aditional labor charge if done at the same time, really just $1500 in parts.

in the customers defense, this car will not be a show car or a street car, its going to be a club racer. and having the SR20 is probably alot cheaper to maintain then the VQ35, in race form.

Comment

I remeber reading that signal auto did this conversion on their 350Z, heres the link http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...50z/index.html

Assorted pics....
                    http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../photo_07.html

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../photo_04.html

Hope some visuals help.

Edit: Signal used an SR20 because from what I understand its lighter than a VQ and easier to modify. They used it for time attack so if you are going to strip out the inside of the car to make it club racer than I guess you want it to be as light as possible.
                    Last edited by NismoSigma; 12-30-2006, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I believe chris forsberg was still working at signal auto when he did his sr20 conversion... 2 years before the chromalusion car...

Comment

If the customer wants it and is paying you to do it, do it. Who cares what his reasoning is. Money is the reasoning far as you should be concerned. You can't convice people on a forum that it is the right or wrong way. Do it, pocket that moolah and roll on to the next job.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth View Post
                          If the customer wants it and is paying you to do it, do it. Who cares what his reasoning is. Money is the reasoning far as you should be concerned. You can't convice people on a forum that it is the right or wrong way. Do it, pocket that moolah and roll on to the next job.
                          i disagree. we had a friend that wanted us to install a ca18 or rb20 in his s14 because he didn't want to spend the full amount on the sr swap. this was a nice 97 kouki, in good shape, with suspension and everything else. his car would have sucked @ss if we would have let him put a ca18 in there, and he is forever grateful for us stopping him and putting in an sr, as he has since ridden in modded ca18 cars, and seen how *Censored**Censored**Censored* they are. if someone puts a relatively stock sr20 in their 350z, its going to suck, suck big time. it will be slower than stock, with an engine with worse power, power band, reliability than the stock motor, and you will have wasted 5k worth of his money. you will have one disappointed customer in the end, who thinks you suck. unless he is a ricer, then he will convince himself that his swap is badass.

Comment

talking to him a few days ago, I dont think the power is much of a concern for him. I think his biggest reason for doing this is to save money in the long run. going through 3-4 VQ35 motors in a year can get expensive, SR motors are very cheap (especialy when you only need the long block), and easy to rebuild. so 3-4 SR motors will be less over the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                              talking to him a few days ago, I dont think the power is much of a concern for him. I think his biggest reason for doing this is to save money in the long run. going through 3-4 VQ35 motors in a year can get expensive, SR motors are very cheap (especialy when you only need the long block), and easy to rebuild. so 3-4 SR motors will be less over the year.
                              i dont know what happened to my other post, but what your saying is 110% stupidity at its finest.

spend $5k to have less power, smaller powerband, a big car with no torque, crappier tranny with one less gear, a harder time finding parts every time something breaks, its completly fornicating stupid in 2007, no matter how awesome your "performance shop" thinks it is.

i think the sheer stupidity of this thread is best illustrated by the fact you posted this on drifting.com's tech forum, as this has been the most active topic in a longtime just due to the sheer idiocy being displayed in this thread.

summary
                              spending 5k to have a shittier motor than the vq because you dont want to spend money on the vq to have 2x the power = stupid.

/thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X