Carbon Fiber vs. Kevlar vs. Fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber vs. Kevlar vs. Fiberglass

what's the best to use. I personally say carbon fiber but we wer talking about this in the thread about shoes. do any of you have any information about each? and which is best for drifting?

for body panels?

Comment

yeah, for body kits.

Comment

what about those carbon fibre and kevlar mixes?

Comment

do they use kevlar for for body kits?... i was always under the impression that kevlar was a flexible like cloth and as a result not used for bodykit... i suppose it could be made stiff like fiberglass but i don't think the weight savings would be that much better than Carbon Fiber and i think it costs more than CF too i could be wrong but i just get the feeling that kevlar is reserved for people with alot of money or well funded racing teams a'la F1 or WRC

TF

Comment

it is usually not used alone in body kits, in fact i wasnt it aware that it was at all; but usually "threaded" throughout the CF

Comment

yeah...I heard that they do make kevlar body kits...and they make carbon fiber and kevlar composit stuff.

Comment

As with fiberglass, kevlar becomes stiff when saturated in resin, and hardened. The same process is used for carbon fiber I'm pretty sure. Additional layers of each matterial can be over-layed while the resin is wet, increasing the thickness and strength.

Comment

ah, that makes a lot of sense...but like I don't think they use it all the time right?

Comment

i say fiberglass, it's light weight, and can be easily repaired. Just make sure you get good quality stuff.

Comment

The Auto Select "Yellow Shark" (R34 Gt-r) Has carbon kevlar body panels.

Comment

yeah...I've seen a lot of the cars nowadays that are nearly all carbon fiber...I think cf is very pretty, but too much of a good thing isn't cool...I guess its more performance then cosmetic...

Comment

for drifting i think FRP that flexible stuff

Comment

FRP = Fiber Reinforced Plastic

Pretty much in the same family as fiberglass.

Comment

yea i kno wat it means

Comment

Working...
                              X