No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber vs. Kevlar vs. Fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love this site...I always learn so much...

Comment

Anyone know any exotic light weight parts for the S13, i mean things like doors and drivelines and stuff, just curious about such things.

Comment

Carbon Fiber

Carbon Fiber is lighter thats all i gotta say cuz i use it on my hatchi roku and its great!

Comment

lambo doors shouldn't add much weight, isn't it just hinge fabrication that's being done?

Comment

Re: Carbon Fiber

Originally posted by Mr.Dorifto
            Carbon Fiber is lighter thats all i gotta say cuz i use it on my hatchi roku and its great!
            well CF parts are weaker than fiberglass though. but then again waht's the use of CF if you can just shed 10lbs. yourslef

Comment

For the s13 u can get FRP trunk lid and door skins. Fenders and hoods. THats wat i see in my Japanese drift mags

Comment

excellent check out this site

http://www.importfan.com/series.asp?SeriesID=137&2=1256

Comment

those are some nice, bootleg kits

Comment

as i said earlier Nock offs are a poor drifters best friend. WHo cares what brand name it is? long as its cheap and works.

Comment

I know, i said they were nice. I liek the M sports rip off and the "nismo style with lip" I would have to say GTP has the best knock offs ive seen. I may have to get some when i get a car. They are only like 300 dollars !!!

Comment

wow i never knew www.importfan.com had so much good stuff. They got like everything a drifter could dream of

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                          Anyone know any exotic light weight parts for the S13, i mean things like doors and drivelines and stuff, just curious about such things.

companies like Madori and Electra have some parts avail for the 180sx/RPS13 etc... although they are expensive.... i can get them for you... pm for more info...

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroliftAutoLab
                            companies like Madori and Electra have some parts avail for the 180sx/RPS13 etc... although they are expensive.... i can get them for you... pm for more info...

thanks
                            Oh no, i didnt want to cause any one any trouble. Im just dreaming about things i want in the future when money will be availible to do such things. ill PM you though, just to stay in contact.

Comment

are there any shops that sell body kits that are not name brand.

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
                                wow i never knew www.importfan.com had so much good stuff. They got like everything a drifter could dream of
                                Yeah, but you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine bought a GTP bumper and spend the better part of 2 hours grinding at it with a dremil tool to get it to fit at all, plus I had to spend a few hours laying up more fiberglass around the mounting points and he ahd to drill all his own holes.

Then he hit a blown retread on the highway and smashed the corner...

MYTH: Carbon fiber is light
                                This is not true, carbon is heavy stuff. Carbon fiber is just what the name says - fibers made from carbon. What makes the parts so light is that it is so strong that there's so little of it used. C/F is claimed to be up to 10x stronger than steel, so accordingly you would only have to use 1/10th as much for the same strength.

The cheap carbon fiber parts you get from companies like Importfan and APC are usually nothing more than cheap polyester and resin and will not hold up to the same stresses that pre-preg carbon cloth that has been pressure-baked will. Structural C/F pieces like F1 monocoques, driveshafts, real down-force inducing wings, rollcages, and so on must be laid up in a mold and then cured in a vault that increases not only temperature but also air pressure. Most of what you buy it a cloth that had been exposed to some sort of solvent-resin to harden it.

Fiberglass or FRP is (I think) the most practical material for drifting parts due to how easy it is to work with, it's flexability, repairability, and low cost.

Mr. Anlet Aero will shortly be releasing parts for S13 and AE86 platforms and will soon be branching out into other platforms that are difficult to find parts for (Cressida, Supra, Starion, Subaru's, etc)

I will keep everyone updated as molds and prototypes are developed, but expect to have better build quailty (hald-laid rather than machine-blown), better fitment, and equal or lower price than competitors like GTP.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                                X