No announcement yet.

Carbon Fiber vs. Kevlar vs. Fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atro- Neither fiberglass nor carbon fiber has adequate strength in a side collision to protect the occupants of the car. The car would require a full roll cage with door bars if fiberglass or carbon doors would be used.

nissanguy- The Sunny hood for the Silvia is claimed to weigh about 5lbs, which is most likely at least 30lbs lighter than stock. It is fiberglass with a carbon outer layer. I'm pretty sure Sunny makes a hood for the 180SX/240SX. I hope MR can make some OEM-look fenders, too; the aftermarket ones have those funky "cooling" ducts that I find a big gaudy. If he doesn't, I'm planning on trying my hand at fiberglass fabrication within the next two years. I have faith in MR, though.

Ghost- www.j-blood.com is J-Blood's website; it's all Japanese, though. Their fiberglass hatch weighs 5.5kg. (12.32lbs) Their doors weigh either 6.72lbs (c/f) or 11.2lbs (f/g).

Comment

That sounds like a pretty light hood.. But yeah i have the same problem with aftermarket fenders. Most arent very attractive fr a guy who wants a relatively stock looking car. One day when all my body pieces are in place ill spray the thing with a new coat of nissan super white. should be nice and subtle.

Comment

if you really wanna save weight, you'd be amazed how much you can drop with just paint. Fancy kandy paint jobs with 5+ coats of clear are really heavy. Not to mention a hot paint job on a drift car is kind of a stupid idea to begin with for obvious reasons. A guy I know saved 15 lbs on his sprint car buy using the original color the body panals cam in (white) and just doing graphic work ontop of that, rather than spraying the whole thing orange or something, then doing graphics.

Comment

i say u guy shud just drift the frame, take off all the body panels and everything so that is all that is left is the frame and one seat and the wheel. Kinda like a big go kart

Comment

Originally posted by MrodDrft
            i say u guy shud just drift the frame, take off all the body panels and everything so that is all that is left is the frame and one seat and the wheel. Kinda like a big go kart
            Super Street did that to a Civic once. They shaved i think like 2-3 secons off there 1/4 time. Bad idea for drift though, those parts help with the rigidity of the car a little.

Comment

Originally posted by AtroXR7
              if you really wanna save weight, you'd be amazed how much you can drop with just paint. Fancy kandy paint jobs with 5+ coats of clear are really heavy. Not to mention a hot paint job on a drift car is kind of a stupid idea to begin with for obvious reasons. A guy I know saved 15 lbs on his sprint car buy using the original color the body panals cam in (white) and just doing graphic work ontop of that, rather than spraying the whole thing orange or something, then doing graphics.
              Oh damn! good point.. i guess my 27 coats of candy apple metal gold flake pearl job has to go.

and it was Sport compact car that did that.. to a B14 Sentra..

unless the other guys did it too.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                Oh damn! good point.. i guess my 27 coats of candy apple metal gold flake pearl job has to go.

and it was Sport compact car that did that.. to a B14 Sentra..

unless the other guys did it too.
                ya super street did it back in 2001, cant tell what month the mag i have of it is torn to pieces...

Comment

Hey guys who can help me and can answer my question What is difference between Carbon Kevlar and Carbon Fiber materials ?
                  sorry og this is stupid question

Comment

Originally posted by Igorionia
                    Hey guys who can help me and can answer my question What is difference between Carbon Kevlar and Carbon Fiber materials ?
                    sorry og this is stupid question
                    check out the rest of this thread. I'm pretty sure someone has already explained it.

Comment

I checked. nothing....

Comment

no you didnt, because I wrote some on it.

Comment

I'm talking not about just destruction or damage ... are this is the same material just differs from making it(i don't know maybe some kind of different processec in making or smth) btw this materials should got the same construction or i don't know what. If it's called CARBOn kevlar and CARBON fiber... ?

Comment

Carbon fiber (someone correct me if im wrong) is litterally woven fiber of a Carbon material.. Carbon is the material all life is made of. Diamonds and graphite are also made of it. Technically your shirt is made of Carbon fibers... well assuming its cotton or some similar organic material. However what we know as carbon fiber is a specialized carbon material woven and layered inbetween a apoxy. Lots of stuff is done to it so make it very strong and very light for its weight.

Carbon Kevlar is similar to Carbon fiber but it also has Kevlar in it for strength. Kevlar is a special material that when layered spreads impact out among its many layers. Thats how several pounds of relatively soft kevlar can stop a bullet.

Actually i fell silly trying to explain this. We have at least one expert on composites, lets let him answer

Comment

*frowns* ok, everyone interested go to www.fiberglast.com
                              they have plenty of info on the subject.

Comment

Carbonfibre for body kits has to be heated to a bal then rolled overtop of mold the sheet can't be used as you ca'nt join layers

Kevlar is a metallic pased poly synthetic compound used in brakes clutches roof roll cage side impact bars etc
                                Kevlar body kits are heavier than fibreglass kits.

Fibreglass is the same as the carbonfibre unless you are using a flat styled kit you just lay ovetop and paint on the resin evenly

Fibreglass is the cheapest and easit to repair so it suits drifting more

I have a Turbo AE86 with a custom full widebody carbonfibre kit
                                front and rear skirts, splitters, fenders, sdie skirts, doors hatch, bonnet, quater panels, and wings

fibreglass is bout $5 square metre compaired with $70 square metre of carbonfibre weave.

but this is just one way of doing a kt if you have the time and skill
                                you cn weave a kit which is a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* of a job but is very light and very kol looking

Comment

Working...
                                X