ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Supra; Downshift in a auto or shift manually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Supra; Downshift in a auto or shift manually?

Ok guys...I have a quick question. Im thinking of getting a automatic supra and doing a boostlogic upgrade for the auto transmission. I've droven a auto before, but I heard some people saying u can downshift in a auto or shift manually? How?

what the hell? no you cant shift manually with an auto. i guess if by downshift you mean put the auto into 2 or low or whatever then i guess, but no point.. same thing as just mashing the gas, will make it downshift...

3 pedals = manual
    2 = ga.y, go crash it into a tree.
    Last edited by chmercer; 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM.

Comment

i dont think benz with "two pedals" automatic along with the two way shifting ( + or -) is "ga.y"

edit: "is *Censored**Censored**Censored*" i was using a double negative..sorry

Comment

get semi-auto where you can shift as fast or slow and whenever you want

Comment

Autos are good for turbo applications...But you can't really shift it. The only thing I like closest to an auto is the MR-2 Spyder's 6 speed sequential shift...

Comment

Originally posted by chmercer
            what the hell? no you cant shift manually with an auto. i guess if by downshift you mean put the auto into 2 or low or whatever then i guess, but no point.. same thing as just mashing the gas, will make it downshift...

3 pedals = manual
            Ok, to make this clear, i drive an automatic car, the tone of voice you are using is quite offensive. If you do go down to "2" on your autobox, then it does downshift, and it does work quite well, but not as good as just slowing down and re-accelerating to allow it to shift down and let it accelerate faster. How does having an Automatic Car make it "Ga.y"? And what is your definition of Ga.y? Please, let the world know.

Comment

If you're talking about a mk3 supra, I'd get the aftermarket F-1 style control box that will allow you to completely control the up and downshifts. It's available at www.suprasport.com

However, I had an automatic supra and it was a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored*, even when you'd leave it in "2." If you were going slow enough to downshift into first, the car would do so whether you wanted to or not, same with if you were in "D" with OD off. I was considering buying that shift controller from suprasport until I finally blew the transmission out. I was running with an aftermarket cooler and had firmer shifts -- so the transmission was as strong as it could be without tearing into it. Drifting/roadracing is just hell on automatics, and now that I've converted to a manual I never look back

Jeff

Comment

Meh, well you have to consider that your car is very heavy. Supras are heavy, you wouldn't be able to force the turbo to make you accelerate 100 X faster. Turbos need time to spool, if it was a turbo. Its still heavy. Supras... .

Comment

Originally posted by DriftinCressida
                  Meh, well you have to consider that your car is very heavy. Supras are heavy, you wouldn't be able to force the turbo to make you accelerate 100 X faster. Turbos need time to spool, if it was a turbo. Its still heavy. Supras... .
                  heh, I bet my supra is lighter than your cressida 3050lbs last I weighed it, its probably below 3000 now that I swapped to manual and went to lighter coilovers. The transmission also had 75,000 miles on it or so, with only 10,000 of those miles at 300rwhp.

The fact is, with the automatic you can't easily alter your throttle position without risking an unwanted shift. And with a car as light and with as much power (or as little traction) you can't stay full throttle for anything less than 60mph -- not ideal for the average practice corners of 20-40mph

Comment

1st most new sporty cars have sequential shifters (BMW Mecs etc)
                    An also when you change down gears in autos it does slow the car down but in my parents comodore at least 1st goes up to like 80 so it wouldnt work like in manual cars.

Comment

Yes you can drift with an auto, it just harder to use for drifting for a few reasons.

First is that you can not use a clutch, meaning no clutch kick which is a big part of initiating an early drift.

Second is that there is more of a time period for the trans to shift since it works off hydo presure and not mechanicly. Even in the bens and newer cars, they will always have a bit of a lag period. So shifting durring your runs will be harder to accomplish.

I'm not saying drifting with an auto is wrong, they just limit what you may beable to do with your car.
                      BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

I heard some things about the manua supra, that its really hard to get used to and its not for beginners. Is this true. Personnaly a automatic would be a better daily driver, but for racing or drifting, manual is the way to go.l

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                          Yes you can drift with an auto, it just harder to use for drifting for a few reasons.

First is that you can not use a clutch, meaning no clutch kick which is a big part of initiating an early drift.

Second is that there is more of a time period for the trans to shift since it works off hydo presure and not mechanicly. Even in the bens and newer cars, they will always have a bit of a lag period. So shifting durring your runs will be harder to accomplish.

I'm not saying drifting with an auto is wrong, they just limit what you may beable to do with your car.

Comment

Originally posted by chmercer

3 pedals = manual
                            Another newbie trying to be cool by putting down stuff...

Comment

notice how he stopped posting...lol...

Comment

Working...
                              X