No announcement yet.

(TV DEAL) D1GP Signs with FOX - Largest Media Deal in the History of Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drifting I can watch in my living room, that doesn't involve Option dvd's? I'm all for it.

Comment

For the sake of sticking to the facts i'll quote from the above release:

"Each event is slated as a one hour special, and is anticipated to be broadcast adjacent to high-profile sporting events during the Fall 2009 season."

I'll do my best to get more exact info for all of you.

And YES, this will help EVERYONE. As enthusiasts and aspiring drifters, many of us have had to repeatedly explain to others what drifting is and why we love/do it.

I can say with confidence that this new deal will reach so many people that a lot of us, including myself, will have to find other conversational topics to sound smart about.

Comment

gravediggger!!!!!!

thats all i got to say, drifting is dead

Comment

With D1 coming back as strong as it is and FD's presence, drifting is well on its way to being considered a serious motorsport. I just hope D1 and FD can learn to co-exist in order to further advance drifting as a motorsport.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post
            gravediggger!!!!!!

thats all i got to say, drifting is dead
            It's time to start building drift cars with themes.

Who's doing the iron man drift car?

or the Karl Malone drift car?

Maybe Hulk Hogan will have his own drift car with his face on the front instead of an s13 front?

Comment

Good to hear the most exciting drift organization is getting a major TV deal.
              FD did a good job filling in during D1 absence.

Hopefully, this will translate to bigger prize money in the future so drivers can start earning their living from the sport they love.

Comment

You know, I don’t want to be one to criticize how people promote their product, but it’s hard to sit by and say nothing when D1 seems to continually over-hypes their releases that really have little substance or foundation. Let me be the first to congratulate D1 on the deal. It’s great their content will be more than just DVD's. Now….

First, this deal is a syndication deal. For anyone that knows TV, in short syndication is when you give your programming to a syndication company and they get it out to all the affiliates of a particular network. In this case it is Fox. Fox has about 200 affiliates of which 180 are not owned or operated by them. (You can very easily google this if you want to fact check) What this means is that when the affiliates have a time slot they will put the programming in. It could be at 12 Noon or 2am. Could be 2pm in Nashville and 5am in Los Angeles. A fan of D1 will have to check their local listings to see when the show will air. This model is not particularly appealing for event properties like drifting per say because you really can’t sell a consistent schedule or build audience where you have pre-programmed air times. For sponsors, teams and drivers this is a lesser deal than a real network deal. We have consulted teams, sponsor and drivers on this is the past and know consensus on this platform. Coincidentally, TWI which is a company owned by IMG has the largest volume of TV content published ever and are very well aware of how syndication deals work. In some cases they are great, but for event properties, not so much, Especially when you are only talking 45M homes.

Secondly, when you say “The largest media deal in history” some fact checking may be in order. D1 says 45 million homes in their own release will be their reach. Ok, well two years ago FD was on ESPN 2. ESPN 2 is in 91 million homes. Last year FD was on Speed. Speed is in over 70 million homes.

Next, not only is this not the largest media deal for drifting ever, it has also been done before. NOPI had a syndication deal for their show very similar to this. You might even search this forum and find the release on it, which if I remember correctly may have event been more homes than 45 million. Remember Driftcar America? Well they tried this too: http://www.driftlive.com/dl/2006/dri...n-with-fox-tv/
                Look how similar the two releases are. This is nothing new or unprecedented.

To date there has not been a bigger TV deal than what FD has put together. This last year in the US we were on Speed and rated very well for a property that had zero promotion from the network. As a matter of fact we out performed shows on Speed that were extremely well promoted by the network. Again, Speed has 70+ million homes. As of Jan1, 2009, our international distribution topped 200 million homes from Russia to South America. These are facts backed up by documentation, not a boast.

Again, I don’t want to criticize people on how to promote their product, but I definitely see some big over-hyping and not as much transparency in some respects. When you clearly are not being transparent with reality I believe you do a disservice to the community as a whole. I hope D1 doesn’t think that people in this community can’t see the truth for themselves. If anything, people in this community are some of the most informed, intelligent people I know. I see things like their attempt to give as many licenses to amateur drivers as they can to fill their ranks, meanwhile that platform is not a meaningful way to develop a series, run or oversee a proper foundation for a ladder to the pro ranks. While this is a great way to keep D1 in the news and grant licenses, this was tried and shown to not work well over 5 years ago. They announced a prize packaged that when you look at the details it is substantially less than ours and unrealistic when you factor the number of drivers needed to even get close. They announced this cool D1 “Dojo” deal with huge grandstands yet their ticketing for the event makes no mention of grandstand seating. One would think this would be a critical element for fans to know what they are buying. What’s going happen if people show-up and it is not as they have hyped it to be? In short, the new group has shown to be creative and proactive but I am concerned that the goods being sold may not be real and with regards to their TV release it displays this point perfectly. You begin to ask yourself, why hasn’t one single top FD driver signed up for their event? If they do build their dojo, where are the sponsors paying for it? Not one single sponsor announcement yet. I submit the reason why is drivers teams and sponsor in this community are informed and have been doing this for a very long time. People know what is what and understand reality.

Rich Goodwin is quoted, “The partnership between FOX Station Group, GPI and D1GP USA will be monumental for the sport of drifting in the United States. For the first time, the eyes of the nation will be focused on the drifting world,” said Rich Goodwin, president of D1GP USA. “Not only will die-hard fans be able to catch all of the action, but millions of people who have never been exposed to drifting will have a chance to see the best drivers in the world going head to head.” To be honest that could be really read as: For the first time ever D1 content will be seen on a distribution platform about half of that of what has been done before pitting top D1 drivers against an assortment of lesser experienced amateur drivers and showcasing a potentially lopsided competition that would certainly not be a showcase of drivers on a more equal playing field like that in FD. The only asset that D1 has that FD does not are drivers that make up the D1 brand, and that’s ok with us. To date, we welcome those drivers with open arms if they were allowed to come. Additionally, we openly support FD drivers competing in D1 Japan with no qualms or any negative remarks. Go Juice Box!

Congrats on the deal, that’s awesome. I just think the D1 cause is served better if these releases are what they are and not what they want people to think they are. When you say things like “game over” and the “biggest media deal in the history of drifting” you imply certain things that really just fuel animosity especially when they cannot factually be backed up. We welcome friendly competition but lets try to be real with who has what and who is doing what. We will gladly congratulate you on any announcements that clearly state reality and that come to fruition.

Comment

Lon time watcher, short time poster, well almost never poster! But I gots ta say it! Looks like someone just jump out of bed, ran to their comp, and shat themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
                    Let me be the first to congratulate D1 on the deal. It’s great their content will be more than just DVD's. Now….

Secondly, when you say “The largest media deal in history” some fact checking may be in order. D1 says 45 million homes in their own release will be their reach. Ok, well two years ago FD was on ESPN 2. ESPN 2 is in 91 million homes. Last year FD was on Speed. Speed is in over 70 million homes.

Thirdly, Additionally, we openly support FD drivers competing in D1 Japan with no qualms or any negative remarks. Go Juice Box!
                    Congratulations to D1 for signing this huge deal with FOX cant wait to see it on TV. Hopefully this will bring some of the top US drivers into the series.

FD I'm sorry but I guess you missed the page of congratulations before your post so you are not the first more like the last to congratulate.

ESPN deal with FD was aired, what like 6 months after the series was over? I dont know anyone who actually watched it on TV, since it was so exiting to have allready forgotten who won those events?

Same thing with SpeedTV the events should air atleast the same year as your series is running.

Redbull World Championship was aired in timely manner and I have no complaints about that one.

So FD doesnt support their drivers in the D1GP US series? Are you banning them from driving? What do you mean by that comment?

Comment

What was the name of that drifting series that popped up in '07 for a brief instant? Driftcar america or something?

they signed with the same programming group.

PS - this is list of stations who are in the "Fox Television Group":
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Television_Stations

I'm glad D1GP put together a TV deal, but they are being purposely deceptive with that press release. This isn't Fox Broadcasting Group, this is a small syndication package with some local TV stations.

I have a feeling that Speed TV reaches more viewers than Fox TV group...

edit - Formula D confirmed all this. I didn't see their post initially.

Comment

Originally posted by fast-finn View Post
                        Hopefully this will bring some of the top US drivers into the series.

So FD doesnt support their drivers in the D1GP US series? Are you banning them from driving? What do you mean by that comment?
                        That's what I'm hoping for too. Watching the top drifters in the world competing in a unified series would be the ultimate event.

I thought that's what FD's Red Bull Championship was supposed to be. According to FD's posts on this forum, they tried everything to accomodate D1's request to get their drivers to participate, but to no avail. I cannot recall if that was D1's old management or new management that created the roadblocks for D1 drivers.

No matter what, it still comes down to hard cold $$$$$$$. Drivers and teams will follow the $$$$$. FD has shown progress and stability since its inception a few years ago, while D1 has regressed and has demonstrated instability.

It's safe to assume that many of the FD drivers are in the "wait and see" mode. They're going to wait and see how D1's return to the mainland is accepted. It makes absolutely no "cents" to jump ship with uncertainty in your mind.

Since the FD and D1 pissing contest is starting all over again, I wonder how spectacular the production of FD Long Beach will be in April. With D1's event only a month later, many comparisons will be made. Especially with the economy the way it is, people are expecting more value for their dollar. Anything less than last year's event would be a huge disappointment.

The only winner I see in all this would be us, the FANS who support drifting, regardless of entity.

Instead of "Game Over".......It should be "Game On"........

Comment

Why is FD is so quick to respond? Is the organization worry what D1 might do?
                          When D1 haters are trashing them in this forum, it seems that D1 responds more professionally by not responding to cheap shots.
                          Just wait and let things play out rather than bashing at D1 for what they're trying to accomplish before anything happens at all. Only time will tell whether or not 45 million homes will be reached.

Originally posted by Formula D View Post

Doesn't FD sound a little childish? It's like a kid bragging with his friends about how many toys he has. I have PS3, no I have PS3 and Xbox...no no, I have a PS3, XBox, and WII.. Fox only reach 45 million homes, we were on ESPN2 in 91 million homes. Stop the childishness for goodness sake!!
                          Doesn't it sound a little misleading also? If ESPN reached 91 homes, FD shows certainly didn't get to 91 million homes or else they wouldn't move down to SPEED!

FD, your childishness just cost you one less fan!

Comment

Lon time watcher, short time poster, well almost never poster! But I gots ta say it! Looks like someone just jump out of bed, ran to their comp, and shat themselves.
                            Precisely! I was sound asleep and all of a sudden my Code Red Drifting.com Forum Module went off and I bolted from bed. It worked great! All kidding aside, if you are accusing us of anything that has to do with skid marks, then guilty as charged.

ESPN deal with FD was aired, what like 6 months after the series was over? I dont know anyone who actually watched it on TV, since it was so exiting to have allready forgotten who won those events?

Same thing with SpeedTV the events should air atleast the same year as your series is running.
                            Both ESPN and Speed did air in the same year as it's corresponding series man. Both ran seven consecutive weeks, nationally on a network wide airing at the same air times and with multiple re-airs outside of contract which is an indication of a show rating well and the network wanting to play it more since it had appeal. This would negate your, "I dont know anyone who actually watched it" baseless accusation. May want to check your facts.

Additionally, our second show on RUSH HD ran almost concurrent to the series so if you were lucky to have RUSH (which is another 25M homes) you saw FD content from Spring until Fall.

Also note in D1's release their series is slated to run in Fall and is exactly the same time both the ESPN 2 and Speed show aired. So essentially the argument you make to downplay our shows is exactly what D1 is doing.

My argument was not not about D1 getting a TV deal but more about them being real about what they call it....."Biggest TV deal in drifting history". Clearly, it is not the biggest deal ever. It is the same deal that Driftcar America and NOPI had so.

Comment

my only thoughts on this whole situation are summed up by:

sport compact drag racing

Comment

my only thoughts on this whole situation are summed up by:

sport compact drag racing
                                Sadly, it does seem like that doesn't it sweetcarz?

Instead of "Game Over".......It should be "Game On"........
                                Precisely.

When D1 haters are trashing them in this forum, it seems that D1 responds more professionally by not responding to cheap shots.
                                Just wait and let things play out rather than bashing at D1 for what they're trying to accomplish before anything happens at all. Only time will tell whether or not 45 million homes will be reached.
                                Doesn't FD sound a little childish? It's like a kid bragging with his friends about how many toys he has. I have PS3, no I have PS3 and Xbox...no no, I have a PS3, XBox, and WII.. Fox only reach 45 million homes, we were on ESPN2 in 91 million homes. Stop the childishness for goodness sake!!
                                Doesn't it sound a little misleading also? If ESPN reached 91 homes, FD shows certainly didn't get to 91 million homes or else they wouldn't move down to SPEED!

FD, your childishness just cost you one less fan!
                                SSmith, the reach of the network doesn't mean you get 45 million or 91 million people to watch. American Idol which is the highest rated show gets about 20-30 million viewers per week. NASCAR often rates at about a 4 which is about 2.75M viewers. Hopefully that helps you understand a little better that the reach of the network is the potential audience, not the actual audience viewing the show. We moved to Speed because they gave us a better deal and our advertisers felt that a more motor sports focused network would be better for us. Make sense?

We respond because we believe in having an honest and open dialogue with the drifting community. The fact that we can respond quickly and do it transparently allows fans to have a one on one with us. D1 has only posted on this forum under the guise of a fake name and never as the brand itself. Go back and see another one of our long winded debates and you'll see for yourself. I think our response was fair and honest calling a spade and spade, not being childish. If you don't like that methodology, then I am sorry. Remember we did not make the claim, "biggest media deal in drifting history" or say "game over", that was them.

Yes, of course we are concerned with what they announce. They have a forum where people listen and hear what they say and when those things are false, that is spreading disinformation. What we presented were facts on what TV content has come to market so disinformation doesn't run rampant and ultimately hurt the fan.

We don't hate on D1, we just disagree with how they do things. There is a big difference between those two things.

Comment

Working...
                                X