(TV DEAL) D1GP Signs with FOX - Largest Media Deal in the History of Drifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Formula D View Post
    Sadly, it does seem like that doesn't it sweetcarz?

Precisely.

SSmith, the reach of the network doesn't mean you get 45 million or 91 million people to watch. American Idol which is the highest rated show gets about 20-30 million viewers per week. NASCAR often rates at about a 4 which is about 2.75M viewers. Hopefully that helps you understand a little better that the reach of the network is the potential audience, not the actual audience viewing the show. We moved to Speed because they gave us a better deal and our advertisers felt that a more motor sports focused network would be better for us. Make sense?

We respond because we believe in having an honest and open dialogue with the drifting community. The fact that we can respond quickly and do it transparently allows fans to have a one on one with us. D1 has only posted on this forum under the guise of a fake name and never as the brand itself. Go back and see another one of our long winded debates and you'll see for yourself. I think our response was fair and honest calling a spade and spade, not being childish. If you don't like that methodology, then I am sorry. Remember we did not make the claim, "biggest media deal in drifting history" or say "game over", that was them.

Yes, of course we are concerned with what they announce. They have a forum where people listen and hear what they say and when those things are false, that is spreading disinformation. What we presented were facts on what TV content has come to market so disinformation doesn't run rampant and ultimately hurt the fan.

We don't hate on D1, we just disagree with how they do things. There is a big difference between those two things.
    Intresting to know that you answered all the other questions / comments I had but left out the most important.
    Is FD asking or banning their top drivers to take part in the D1GP USA?? Are you avoiding the question? or just missed it?

Comment

Originally posted by SSmith View Post
      Why is FD is so quick to respond? Is the organization worry what D1 might do?
      When D1 haters are trashing them in this forum, it seems that D1 responds more professionally by not responding to cheap shots.
      Just wait and let things play out rather than bashing at D1 for what they're trying to accomplish before anything happens at all.

FD, your childishness just cost you one less fan!
      ARE YOU SERIOUS!? When was the last time that d1 COULD respond? Lets see, D1USA has no room to talk for the last...lets say 3 years now?

In FD's defense, they are responding to D1 saying that they "got the biggest media deal for drifting". They (FD) are just trying to justify that that is not the case.

I am friends with everyone from FD as well as friends with the previous and current roster of d1 usa (ai, jerry, hideo, moto, and now ALI).

I have always been a supporter of FD and D1. In d1s case, with their previous US management or whatever, they promised soo much to the fans, and DID NOT DELIVER. For the last 3 years or so, they HAVE NOT delivered. I can personally vouch for Ali, the dude is diehard drifting. I hope for his sake, and the fans sake, that D1USA can once again, put on a good series.

These two series are NOT competing against each other. Even if they WERE, the fans should be happy that there are multiple networks that they will now be able to watch drifting on. Regardless, the fans win. They get to see more drifting.

Instead of flamming on both series, you should be positive and hope that these two series will put on a good show for everyone.

Best of luck to both series!

Comment

Intresting to know that you answered all the other questions / comments I had but left out the most important.
        Is FD asking or banning their top drivers to take part in the D1GP USA?? Are you avoiding the question? or just missed it?
        No, we do not employ the tactics of "banning" drivers from other events like D1 has. We don't have to. If you read through my initial post I refer to the fact that most top drivers and teams feel the same way we do and that having two competing championships in the same space is counter productive to the growth and health of drifting. Notice that sweetcarz makes the comparison to the demise of sport compact drag racing. That is a real concern for most top teams. Sorry if that was not clear. They make the decision on their own. Additionally, even if they wanted to the market is so tight right now the cost to do so is prohibitive for most.

Comment

bah. I dont care.

just hope if it ends up showing on my TV, it isn't cheezy and too crammed into one hour.

I would prefer to just buy quality option DVD's. I know D1 doesn't care about supporting it's current fan base in the US, but to expand to a new fan base, thus TV. I wish they would start making US version option dvd's again.

bah. cant wait to see the japanese drivers back on US soil. always so exciting.

Comment

No, we do not employ the tactics of "banning" drivers from other events like D1 has. We don't have to. If you read through my initial post I refer to the fact that most top drivers and teams feel the same way we do and that having two competing championships in the same space is counter productive to the growth and health of drifting. Notice that sweetcarz makes the comparison to the demise of sport compact drag racing. That is a real concern for most top teams. Sorry if that was not clear. They make the decision on their own. Additionally, even if they wanted to the market is so tight right now the cost to do so is prohibitive for most.
            Thats good I'm happy to hear that the drivers are free to go and drive where ever their budget allows.

I hope that some of the top drivers have sponsors that would like them to run on both serieses.
            Since to us fans this is awesome news, if D1 and FD can co-exist and if they both can have succesfull events for us Fans.

For the first time ever D1 content will be seen on a distribution platform about half of that of what has been done before pitting top D1 drivers against an assortment of lesser experienced amateur drivers and showcasing a potentially lopsided competition that would certainly not be a showcase of drivers on a more equal playing field like that in FD.
            Also one of the comments was that according to FD the only good drivers in US are allready driving in FD? or did I miss understand it? Given the opportunity, I believe there is at least 20-30 grassroots drifters that could easily make the top 16 on FD and be very competetive on D1.

Comment

Also one of the comments was that according to FD the only good drivers in US are allready driving in FD? or did I miss understand it? Given the opportunity, I believe there is at least 20-30 grassroots drifters that could easily make the top 16 on FD and be very competetive on D1.
              I agree there are some very talented drivers that just have not received the recognition yet, but if that were 100 percent true then D1 would not need FD drivers for their events. D1 admits they are trying to recruit FD drivers. They need them for their events to make sense competitively, unless they brought over the entire D1 roster which they are not. If part of your plan requires FD drivers to make your model work, that is not proprietary. Especially since D1 drivers have been banned and are banned from our series, yet D1 expects that we should openly support FD drivers in their series. Makes zero sense.

Comment

Yes, of course we are concerned with what they announce. They have a forum where people listen and hear what they say and when those things are false, that is spreading disinformation. What we presented were facts on what TV content has come to market so disinformation doesn't run rampant and ultimately hurt the fan.

We don't hate on D1, we just disagree with how they do things. There is a big difference between those two things.
                So when did Formula D become the information police? Why does FD care if D1 is spreading "disinformation?" Let them talk all their shittt and have them fall on their own faces when the public realizes their deceit and misconstruction of information. You stated previously that the people in this community are some of the most informed and intelligent people you know.

With regards to how D1 does things, who effin cares. It's their business and let them run it as they see fit.

Recent history is not on the side of D1. FORMULA D has such a strong foothold in the US, I don't think you guys have anything to worry about. Unless you plan on scaling back on production because D1's plans seems to be balls out from an uninformed fans' standpoint.

That's why this year has to be better than ever. Step forward, not backwards.

The battle should be in the the actual venue and production itself, instead of the forums.

Let's get ready to rumble....

Comment

I agree there are some very talented drivers that just have not received the recognition yet, but if that were 100 percent true then D1 would not need FD drivers for their events. D1 admits they are trying to recruit FD drivers. They need them for their events to make sense competitively, unless they brought over the entire D1 roster which they are not. If part of your plan requires FD drivers to make your model work, that is not proprietary. Especially since D1 drivers have been banned and are banned from our series, yet D1 expects that we should openly support FD drivers in their series. Makes zero sense.
                  D1 wants FD drivers for the same reason they got an Andretti to be a judge. Name recogniton is their only motive.

To have a driver leave FD for D1 would be the ultimate coup. So FD better keep their drivers on a short leash.

Comment

First there was D1... then world drifting series.... then NOPI Drift... then driftcar america...

All of those companies had a US series planned, and even put out a schedule.

Of those events, only NOPI actually held a US series (d1 held several US events, but never a points series).

I think the FD drivers are used to other companies coming in and claiming that their series will be the next greatest thing, and most of them are just going to sit on the sidelines and wait for the series to prove themselves before even considering it.

In the case of NOPI, a few FD teams DID actually enter the series - JIC (Kenji), Enjuku, Hubert Young, Milano, etc... but the big teams focused on FD and stayed away for the most part. I don't see that trend changing, especially with sponsorship money so tight.

Comment

Especially since D1 drivers have been banned and are banned from our series, yet D1 expects that we should openly support FD drivers in their series. Makes zero sense.

Can you elaborate on it a little more? What do you mean by 'D1 drivers have been banned and are banned from our series'?

Are we not going to see the likes of Yoshioka, Orido, Ueo competing in any FD events this year because they are now banned by FD?

Is JR going to be banned also since he's in Japan right now, doing videos for Option and D1 drivers?

If FD does ban drivers from crossing over to D1, doesn't FD sound like D1 used to be a couple of years ago?

Comment

Can you elaborate on it a little more? What do you mean by 'D1 drivers have been banned and are banned from our series'?

Are we not going to see the likes of Yoshioka, Orido, Ueo competing in any FD events this year because they are now banned by FD?

Is JR going to be banned also since he's in Japan right now, doing videos for Option and D1 drivers?

If FD does ban drivers from crossing over to D1, doesn't FD sound like D1 used to be a couple of years ago?
                        what the f*ckery are you talking about?

Comment

I mean D1 has an unsaid (and sometimes said) policy that their drivers are not to compete in FD if they want to remain in good standings with D1. I am not saying FD bans D1 drivers if that is what you mean. D1 drivers are welcome in our series. Guys like Yoshioka, Orido and Ueo are examples of those that have gone against the grain and competed in our series. I think you are confusing the two. FD does not ban anything.

Comment

God you're dumb.

And D1 is a gimmick, it will be very lucky if it goes anywhere, how is it hard for people to see that? It's just like what has happened in the past.

Sure a ton of grassroots guys are getting their licenses for D1 as well, but it's going to be a very one sided battle. Grassroots guys don't have the budget to keep up with any of the D1 cars coming over, plus not nearly as much experience as the drivers. I love grassroots drivers a lot more but they just wont match up.

D1 Shi.tting their licenses out to everyone who makes top 3 in all these grassroots events doesn't help either, just makes the worth of a license go down. I would imagine sponsors would look at it like "Oh you have a D1 license? so does everyone else why would I sponsor you?"

I can see grassroots guys are excited that this gets them a little coverage, or makes it so they can go up against some D1 star. But besides the track time and experience the driver gets, I can't see much more coming out of it for a grassroots driver.

There's tons of other stuff wrong with this, but it doesn't matter it wont make it anywhere anyway. Now if someone did something smart and say, tried a different kind of series, say team drift, then you have something different to FD and something I would watch alongside it. But doing the same thing as a major organization already does better is not going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by gigglesnirt View Post
                              God you're dumb.

D1 Shi.tting their licenses out to everyone who makes top 3 in all these grassroots events doesn't help either, just makes the worth of a license go down. I would imagine sponsors would look at it like "Oh you have a D1 license? so does everyone else why would I sponsor you?"

I can see grassroots guys are excited that this gets them a little coverage, or makes it so they can go up against some D1 star. But besides the track time and experience the driver gets, I can't see much more coming out of it for a grassroots driver.
                              Now if someone did something smart and say, tried a different kind of series, say team drift, then you have something different to FD and something I would watch alongside it.
                              GOD you are dumb! Stop commenting when you dont know what you are talking about.

First not a single D1 license is or has been given out at the these grassroots events. They get a D1 Underground licenses which allows them to bypass the amateur qualifying and try to go and get the real D1 license. FD gave anyone who showed up to their events the first year a change to drift???? So what is your point. Without the grassroots the sport is DONE!!!!

Second Every single driver in FD came from grassroots and they have made it big you are very naive thinking that there is no challengers in the Grassroots.
                              D1 drivers are humans just like the rest of us and every horse has a rider.

Third D1 invented the sport NOT FD or NOPI or you and yet you are watching FD in US? FD's in nothing original they copied D1 and ran with it. Dont get me wrong FD has done an awesome job in US compared to previous years by D1, but this time they have a ligimate change with the right people doing it.
                              So lets hope that you are 100% wrong and the D1GP US will happen.

Since I for one would love to see team orange tandem battles!

Comment

I mean D1 has an unsaid (and sometimes said) policy that their drivers are not to compete in FD if they want to remain in good standings with D1. I am not saying FD bans D1 drivers if that is what you mean. D1 drivers are welcome in our series. Guys like Yoshioka, Orido and Ueo are examples of those that have gone against the grain and competed in our series. I think you are confusing the two. FD does not ban anything.
                                Thank you for the explanation but I don't think I was confused reading what you wrote. I just need clarification on what you said earlier from the following quote (check the second to last sentence):

Fast-finn:
                                No need for name calling. If you read with your head and eyes rather than with your emotion, you'll see what I'm talking about. Read the second to last sentence above from what FD wrote earlier. A sincere advise for you: it's ok to be angry but when you hold your tongue on name calling, you'll get further in life.
                                Last edited by SSmith; 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X