No announcement yet.

why boo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care is rhy's was drifting the wiener mobile, or that large shoe ronald McDonald drives, he didn't deserve to be boo'd, he was probably wondering WTF he did to deserve it. and to put down the GTO becuase it's domestic or oh it's too heavy, or corporations are taking over, that's all BS. if your going to hate a car for not being japanese your a dirty ricer, and about it being heavy, so what, it just means he's better, and for the corporate takeover, i think it's about time drifting got some recognition, becuase thats the only way events will be held, and better cars will be made, I have no mountain to drift on so I would like a "drift land" here in Ohio the only way I will get it is if some one with money will build it, becuase the best I can do is the dirt track I'm making in my backyard this summer.

Comment

I think people boo'd because they are caught up in the import vs domestic mindset. Anyone I know that actually drifts has graduated above that import vs domestic crap and instead they focus on the drift. People in the crowd at Irwindale dont seem to understand that the DRIVER is what makes the car drift, not the CAR. People are too caught up focusing on the CAR. I think it was very disrespectfull to EVERYONE that was competing. Imagine what the Japanese drifters thought? Here is the USA crowd boo'ing the USA drivers and USA cars? Its made us all look bad. Shame on the crowd! And I would still be saying that if they were boo'ing an American driver in a Japan car. (this is not a problem to me because they were boo'ing a domestic, its a problem to me because it was plain disrespectfull to the drivers).

To the guy that boo'd because Rhys is sponsored, you might want to re-evaluate your reasoning. Do you see ANYONE in the D1 that is not sponsored? Do you see ANYONE that is competing in the D1 on their own personal income. Thats a negative. Everyone in the D1 is sponsored by someone, even if its their own personal business (like some of the Japan guys). So why didnt you boo everyone? I think it has more to do with Rhys being sponsored by an American company. And you know what, if you dont support American sponsorship, then maybe they shouldnt even have the D1 in the USA. Maybe they should keep it in Japan, and you should be forced to fly to Japan to see the D1. Cuz the Irwindale track is an American company, and if it wasnt for them supporting the D1, you wouldnt even be at the D1. Think about that.

I think Rhys did great. He is competing against Japan drivers that have been in the D1 for YEARS, they have had YEARS to tune their cars, and YEARS to get the technique in their cars down. Rhys showed up in a car that was completed the day of the event, and with minimal to no practice time, he still made the top 16. I say congradulations to Rhys for a great first time performance in the GTO. I look forward to seeing him in future competitions.

Comment

I can't believe the way people are acting like Rhys went to Pontiac and convinced the to sponsor him. They came to him, with an offer. In his place, I'd have to be an idiot to turn down a factory sponsorship . Hell, a sponsorship like that is what a professional driver dreams for. A Factory sponsorship comes with a huge paycheck, endorsements, and all the support and equipment you could possibly want.

Comment

ok first of all I didn't boo him because he is SPONSORED..... kudos to him and I hope he gets a fat paycheck... it's just the idea of the corporate jumping onto this like a lion to a zebra...(they see this as another fast and furious, "ooooOOOOoo the kiddies are gonna love this its so fast and furious") I honestly thought nothing of Rhys joining Pontiac but after some thought, it bothers me... Rhys is such a good driver he should deserve a better car or a sponsorship from a company such as HKS or a company that knows something about drifting like Nissan or Mazda not Pontiac.... or even Chevy (have you seen some of those cop cars drift) something along those lines so if your gonna jump on my back about sponsorship please read between the lines of my posts before so... Thank you...
          Last edited by GoukiS14; 03-02-2004, 10:04 PM.

Comment

No one booed tarzan.

Comment

hahaha soooo true
              but people were kinda in shock about the viper drifting hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                I think people boo'd because they are caught up in the import vs domestic mindset. Anyone I know that actually drifts has graduated above that import vs domestic crap and instead they focus on the drift. People in the crowd at Irwindale dont seem to understand that the DRIVER is what makes the car drift, not the CAR.
                Well said crazyhawaiian. I have always been a fan of imported cars sence i began to like cars, not but a few years ago... and a big fan of nissans especialy the S chassis. To make maters worse my dad is a old ford guy. You can imagine i havent always been the friendliest to Fbody guys... But that said when i first came to this site and saw you and revlimit drift Fbodys i thought to my self... well hell thats cool, there basicly pioneers in there area, How many guys in the world drift Fbodys?? not many i bet.

I dont disrespect the car, or you, for being a GM, or for being a domestic. i think everyone who has a interest in drifting.. well like you said everyone who DRIFTS, is above that. And i strongly agree.

It also doesnt hurt the fact that in drifting the car matters very little. Theres so much driver involved, country of orgin has no bearing on the situation.

But that said, there were probably 12 grand in the stands that day. I seriously doubt there are 12 thousand drifters in the united states.

Most of them are general imported car fans. Maybe guys just checking it, I saw several old muscle cars there. And yeah alot of ricers and alot of kids who where there because its the cool thing to do. or because they wanted to check it out. They heard pontiac and booed.

and you all know i said i didnt think the GTO would make a great drift car. But when he came out i cheered him on, common hes american! i wanted to see the guy succeed, and i wanted the car to succeed. Of course the reality was no one walts in on there first try and wins the damn thing. But hey he put on a good showing and hopefully will be back and be even more competitive.

Besides if it wasnt for pontiac we never would of gotten to see a silvia go head to head with american muscle.. i mean how often does it happen?? never thats how often.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
                  Besides if it wasnt for pontiac we never would of gotten to see a silvia go head to head with american muscle.. i mean how often does it happen?? never thats how often.
                  that was kinda dope especially drifting.... who knows maybe I'll even start to like the damn car.... but I still don't agree w/ Pontiac jumping into the pool party....
                  p.s. drifting an auto???.... can u send me pics or vids? I wanna see

Comment

lets stop here, before we start flaming each other, I said what I have to say and so did you, I know exacly what you meant, and in that scenario yes, it's not cool, but thats not exacly the truth, most american companies do try and exploit great things like drifting, but that hasn't happend ,yet.... your way ahead of things, I don't think pontiacs intentions were to jump on the drift boat because it will sell alot of cars, as we have discussed in previous threads concerning we cars suck lately, marketing to the minority of drifters will not sell any more cars than if they were to market to the majority of suck that is the american consumer looking for a sporty SUV, or FF cars. you were correct to be question pontiacs intentions but not to boo rhy, thats all we are saying. and I understand what you mean about him being sponsored by pontiac, but he is a professional and he knows what he is doing, if he though pontiac was that bad we wouldn't have signed, because like you said there was probably lots of other sponsorship opportunity for him

Comment

grow up people!!!!!!! reese drifting pretty good but couldnt cut it during elimation the gto is a tight looking car got plenty of balls but that heavy v8 up front couldnt let him swing that *Censored**Censored**Censored* around hey u never by reese runing gm sponsorship maybe nissan and toyota and mazda probably give people sponsorship? but almost evryone was sponsored either apexi HKS and the list goes on arent those coroprtioins? the ricers turn ed drifters still think its all about the car WRONG its about the drift and how cool it looks this thread should
                      end!!!!

Comment

You know the past couple days I hear everyone whining bout how he was no good cause the car weighed too much. And how the GTO isn't competitive because of this fact. Anyone ever check on that? You might be suprised at what you find.

2004 GTO "STOCK" weight: 3761LBS. Before any mods.
                        R34 4 door stock weight: 3916LBS.

So if a 4 door Skyline with full interior and navigation can be competitive, why can't a prepped GTO?

Weight Distribution on the GTO is 55/45. The GTR is 57/43 in 2 door version think 4 door is 60/40 (not 100% on that)

Horsepower is of course 276 (law) in Japan but we all know it's higher, say round 300, and 350 on the GTO.
                        These are stock #s.

Now lets look at Mr Millens history:
                        6 time winner of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in the High Performance showroom stock class. He also still holds the record for this class.

Managed and drove in SCCA Pro Rally in a Mitsubishi sponsered Lancer for Mitstubishi Rally team USA in 2000 and 2001. Those years he achieved the Group 2 and 2WD championship in 2001.

Precision stunt driver for Film and TV. (I know bout that personally)

Makes his own performance parts.

Hmmmm. So now Mr Millen and the GTO don't seem that much of a lame duck anymore. Add his skill to that, and all the upgrades and flat out custom stuff on that car and it's going to be a very competant machine when they get dialed in.
                        Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 03-02-2004, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the support Nissanguy. I've always been a domestic guy, but unlike alot of domestic guys, I also like imports alot since alot of my friends own and mod imports (and I've ridden in some wicked fast imports .. like a 700hp Supra). Unlike other types of racing I've tried, drifting is all about SKILL and thats why I like it so much. I got interested in roadracing, and found out that drifting was the extreme example of car control. The guy with the fastest car (aka most money) does not always win. The guy with the most skills is the one that wins. The only thing that will change with a different type of car, is you need to modify it differently and use different techniques. But the skills still need to be there, and I think thats what people should be judged on.

Goku, do you honestly believe other sponsors "know something" about drifting? Do you think HKS "knows more" about drifting than Pontiac? A sponsor is just that, a sponsor. Sponsors dont make you drift better or worse. They provide the income for you to compete. I think you dont like the fact that an AMERICAN sponsor is supporting a D1 drifter. Weak argument Goku!!

Comment

word

Comment

Well said. HKS doesn't know more about Drifting than my imaginary swimsuit model girlfriend. Ok maybe a little more, she's brunette.

Comment

true that as ive reaD somewhere

DRIFTING HAS A GOOD FILTER ITS CALLED SKILL

THAS WHY U SAW MIDDLE AGED WHITE FOLKS OUT there with their kids cause it doesnt matter its about skill and car comtrol didnt u gujys see that daihutsu out there? 160 hp that was cool and give me hope!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X