No announcement yet.

Initial D Epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it started somewhat with ID. We all know that ID played a part in our interest in drifting. Same thing goes for FatF, import people don't like to admit it, but after I saw the first one, I was hooked on Honda's and went out and bought one.

About 5 years ago, I got into the inport culture by meeting up at a local carwash and streetracing. At the time, I was 17, had a POS 90' Chev Cavalier(Manuel though) and no life. Fast and the Furious had just come out so begins the ricer trend. 2 years down the road, after modding my cavalier and blowing it up, I bought a 97 Honda Civic EX. Drove that around and "drifted" in the winter. Than one day, some kid in an Integra challanges me to a Drift Competition in a parking lot. Didn't know what he was talking about, so he explained it to me. After whooping up on him, he invites me over to watch some ID. I got hooked and have been ever since. My Civic is now sitting in my front yard, a victim of my Fast and the Furious ricer days, and a Mazda MX6 in it's place. This weekend, I should be picking up my AE86 and starting to learn the advanced techniques. I have been practicing in my friends 240's, MR2, and actually in my conversion van. I drift in the MX6, I can get a decent amount of oversteer with no e-brake. However, my biggest thing is the "Drfit Bible" I learned alot.

Comment

I drifted (by accident and in the rain mind you) in my mom's '04 Honda Odessy. Them SOB's have some power in them. V6 vtec engine... has hella pick-up like noones business. I hate the fact that its capped at 100mph though. I'd be a bad ace mini van.

Comment

"Rice" has been around LONG before FnF. I remember it being around in the mid 90's when Sport Compact Car started to hit all the racks. If you want to see old rice, check out www.riceboypage.com

Comment

i dont know anything about these racing scenes like "rice" but can someone explain to me what it actually is? im guessing honda civics, is that accurate?

Comment

check out the website above, it explains it all.

Comment

ok i read that riceboypage, so i guess ricers are just people who modify there imports to look fast rather than being fast or making a car that wasnt designed to be fast, fast?

Comment

The first point you made was correct. The second point I would classify more as sleepers than ricers.

Comment

Initial D to me is more of a view of the absolute perfect, ture drifting that in theory could be done on the most extreme mountain passes. So this just sikes me up to get my @ss out there and push me self harder to be all that much better.

Comment

well back then when there wasnt much info about drifting on the net, i remembered there was a japanese website with short video clips of drifting,it was cool but it didnt got me interested until i saw Initial D.

oh and www.riceboypage.com helped to change my ricer mentality back then ...

Comment

aha i saw drifting from a nascar game aha

Comment

yeahh kind of..

Comment

me and my friends got in S13s back in 99. Had no idea Initial D existed.

I can tell you who did the first 5 SR20DET swaps in the U.S as well.

Comment

initial d???

can comeone please elaborate what initial d is for me? is it some american tv show? im in aus and before coming on drifting.com had never even herd of it

Comment

Originally posted by pointango
                              aha i saw drifting from a nascar game aha
                              Did you, by any chance, see the picture in my thread here?

Comment

Well, to tell the truth I grew up around drifting, but in a form really far removed from what most of you guys know.

My exposure to drifting came from watching, reporting on, working on, and even at one point driving (a few hot laps sessions and one or two auditions for 305 asphalt teams) sprint cars. You notice in my sig it mentions a place called Eldora. That's the historic Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio. World's fastest dirt 1/2mile oval. Jac "Wild Child" Haudenschild once lapped it in 11.736 seconds.

You HAVE to drift to run a sprinter fast. Every turn you're hanging it sideways to keep max momentum. The chassis are even designed with a device that exaggerates the weight transfer to mimic a feint and initiate the drift early on in the straight.

It actually wasn't until I found some old 4th generation VHS fansubs at my local anime shop that I found Initial D, and that was my exposure to the sport of drifting. After that, I quickly picked up on D1 and took a real interest in the professional scene. After all, everything I'd been around growing up was all about becoming a professional. Ergo, when I found out that there was professional drifting, I knew it was what I should follow.

Initial D is a good catalyst for introducing people to drifting. It's a fun series with fun and easy to relate to characters. When bookended with something like the Drift Bible, it gives people a bit more understanding of our sport.

Wish there was something like that for Supermodified racing. You ever want to get into a niche motorsport that costs ten tons of money and requires tons of technical and mechanical skill, plus results in extremely fast cars, get into supermodified racing.

Comment

Working...
                                X