Horsepower #'s of my fellow drifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsepower #'s of my fellow drifters

hey guys, i got my rotary dynoed today and im making 382rwhp and 303lbs of torque which is a lower torque number than i was expecting but go figure. i didnt get to make as many passes as i wanted to but its alright ill be back after i get back from my old mans. while i was getting my car tuned, my friend john and i started talking and speculating about the cars we read up on the forums and noticed that most people arent making a substantial amount of horsepower. i know that horsepower isnt everything, actually its one of the least of your worries seeing as how its all about balance, but im curious to the horsepower numbers of my fellow drifting.com members seeing as how a majority of the cars here are sr20 powered and you can get those things to 400+ pretty easly, can you please say what kind of car you have and a guesstimate of how much horsepower your making, you can throw up some mods if you want to. ill start

Name: Wayne
    Car: FD3S (3rd generation mazda rx7)
    Hp:382rwhp 303lbs trq

is their a reason for this ? can people not handle high horsepower drifting yet, i mean most formula d cars arent in the high horsepower ranges yet either unlike d1 where thiers countless 400+ hp cars ? people running outta money for their projects what what what? sorry this post is all over the place, but what do you expect from a 17 year old

Car: 1997 Mazda Miata
    Modifications: Jackson Racing Supercharger, MSD Sebring Ignition, some kind of ceramic coated headers, there might be more mods but i dont know since i got the car on accident. The miata doesnt really need much power since its a super light weight.
    HP: around 165 whp
    Last edited by PhoPower; 08-20-2004, 07:30 PM.

Comment

You said it youself HP isnt everything. Why make something thats a HP monster? W/ more horsepower comes more breaking parts. Also drifting isnt cheap so most people spend money on tires and track time. Im making around 270rwhp i dont know about tq but this is compairing my mods w/ someone w/ similar mods. Im not done moding my car though but once im done (Fuel mods, and rad) ill be working on upgrading my current suspension. I could really care less about HP right now but i know that i have to finish my Power mods since already almost done. More power just makes drifting a lot easier.

Comment

X2 to taht... HP isn't everything... HP can help make up for crappy technique though (Sam... hehehe Nah. he's a badass driver)

Matt.

Comment

wow, id have to disagree, more hp doesnt mkae drifting easier, intiating the drift is easier but controlling it is hella harder, especially with my car and the sequential twins, cuz mid drift my second turbo starts to spool and so i get a surge of hp its crazy, but keep the numbers and stuff comming

Comment

430 something..little lower than that in torque

Comment

hrm...bout 80 wheel. Maybe 85 on a good day with some cooler air.

Screw the triple digets

Comment

I'm not a drifter, but I am a fellow.

Estimated at 125whp.

Comment

120 hp

Comment

265 whp (WRX)

and

0 whp (Corolla) - waiting on motor
                    Last edited by STFUAD; 08-20-2004, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDragon871
                      wow, id have to disagree, more hp doesnt mkae drifting easier, intiating the drift is easier but controlling it is hella harder, especially with my car and the sequential twins, cuz mid drift my second turbo starts to spool and so i get a surge of hp its crazy, but keep the numbers and stuff comming
                      I actually have the same car and you should be close to redline so your second turbo should be kicking in already. The only way your going to get that surge is if you drop the RPMs. The reason why your having trouble controlling the FD is because its just hard to drift. FDs love to grip and is very touchy. They snap over fast so you have anticipate(sp) whats going to happen and have quick steering.

Comment

Originally posted by STFUAD
                        265 whp (WRX)

and

0 whp (Corolla) - waiting on motor
                        i hope your wrx is REALLY modded to put down 265 to the wheels..stock that thing barely puts 180hp to the wheels due to some much drivetrain loss thru the 4wd. dont believe me read Import tuners article on their dyno session with the wrx

Comment

You're 17, and you have a FD Rx7, with shitloads of modifications?

More power may not necessarily make it easier to drift, but it does help if your technique isn't up to scratch

And it saves you always having to come into the corner the right way, and if you do screw up and not get the right line, a simple kick of the clutch or pull of the handbrake will allow you to get sideways again

That may not have made a whole lot of sense, but whatever...

Comment

20b NA
                            230 rwhp and 200 lbft All motor, stock port, haltech.

Comment

Somewhere around 180whp-200whp. 180 being pessimistic, while 200 is very optimistic. I still need an intercooler and need to lower my compression. Keep getting CELs from knock I believe. I got someone hooking up an OBDII hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X