ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Supra; Downshift in a auto or shift manually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i dont know how the transmissions in your cars are set up (never driven an iroc) but all the ones i have driven have D, or L or low or 2 or whatever.

so if you are comming up to a corner in 3rd how do you downshift without making the car go insane?

heres a hypothetical.

the way i see it, you hit the brake, car slows revs drop, you slide it into L or whatever, back on the gas, car eventually switches to 2nd (maybe 1st if you brake too heavy, then you redline it and car has to figure out to shift again making more lag), then you finally have power, and then through the rest of the turn you switch between neut and L to modulate with the ebrake, with a short lag each time you need to do this.

5spd you blip the throttle go to 2nd back to power and clutch it whenever you want the side brake or you just clutch kick.

im sure there are techniques to make auto viable and im sure there are a lot of people who would kick my *Censored**Censored**Censored* with an auto car and mine is a 5spd. you guys are missing the point.

if somone would choose auto over 5spd, they are seriously missing some cards.

too much internet drifting for today, i need new internet tires.

Comment

Here is a hypotheitical way to look at this:

auto=most effort to drift.
      manual=least effort to drift.

Therefore it would seem that autos are not ideal for drifting...

On the other hand...

auto=least effot on the street(maybe you commute daily).
      manual=most effort on the street.

In light of this new development,consider how much time you spend drifting and how important drifting is to you. do you spend more time on the street or track in your drift vehicle? if you awnsered street and you have a manual, can any one of you honestly tell me that you never, if even for a second wished you had an automatic? I know I have...

Now CHMERCER says that autos are not good for drifting because
      the driver has to work harder to drift it. well I say instead of dissing the autos, we should respect them because they work harder.

Comment

auto=easiest to drive on street
        manual=most fun to drive period.

Comment

Ok ok ... the key to drifting with an automatic is to know the speed of the turns you are taking in relation to your powerband. This also applies to drifting with a manual, but more important for automatic since you have less gear selections. Know the speed of the turns and make sure you are in the correct gear. If possible you want to enter the turn in the lower portion of your powerband, but sometimes you'll enter mid powerband, sometimes close to the top. When drifting an automatic you will not be doing any upshifting or downshifting to initiate a slide unless the speed of the turn you're taking happens to be near a shift point. Don't count on it. You might be shifting mid drift, depends on the track/road. To drift with automatic you need to adjust your style. Become familiar with weight transfer, you need to learn new techniques. You dont need to kick a clutch to initiate a slide. Nor do you need to yank the handbrake.

For example, if I was drifting a 45 mph turn, I would leave my auto in 2nd gear. I would enter the turn at 45 mph and feint to initiate oversteer. The great thing about a feint is that it uses momentum to initiate a slide, so regardless of how power is delivered, it will always initiate the same (assuming we're talking the same car with same suspension). So you feint to initiate, then countersteer to control your angle. Keeping the transmission in 2nd (no shifting here), I would use throttle control to manage the oversteer all the way through the exit (hitting redline at the exit). No brakes, no dropping revs, no shifting between neutral and gear, no e-brake. Know your desired speed, select a gear, initiate, and throttle control through all the way to the exit. Maybe the turn dosn't end and you need more speed (long sweeper?). Shift into 3rd mid slide and again use throttle control. Say you came in too fast (entered the 45 mph 2nd gear turn at 60mph in 3rd gear), initiate the feint earlier and correct, downshifting into 2nd right after the feint. Say the turn was slower, like 25mph or something, you can still enter in 2nd and combine the feint with a downshift to 1st.

You see the biggest problem is when people try it with computer controlled shifting. In that situation you are right, you have way less control. You'll shift and nothing will happen. Forget about computer controlled shifting, its the enemy. Convert it to manual control then you have full control. You can downshift or upshift or whatever at any speed, any RPM and the transmission will shift. Shifts too slow? Increase the line pressure and it will shift faster (feel like I'm preaching already). Re-read my first post for more info on what kind of mods to do.

About the whole E-Brake thing and something being top secret ... the deal is that you need to shift into neutral if you plan to hold the E-Brake with an automatic car. There is no modulating the E-brake when drifting with an automatic. You need to adjust your style. You only use the E-Brake if you want to do a long slide, maybe if you wanted to use it to initiate (but prolly not since no one gives respect to the E-Brake). In that instance you need to have the car in neutral. Now there are two ways you can go about it ... you can either shift, yank the handbrake, and shift again ... or you can get creative and engineer a solution. I'll give you hints ... You've already seen what I'm talking about on these forums, maybe just didnt know what it was. Look for some interior shots of street drift cars in Japan in the pictures section. In some of them you might see a huge lever/handle that everyone wonders what it does. Those are the people that got creative, and thats whats "secret". I know this website is for learning, but sorry I'm not gonna share my ideas on this one for now because the mod is not done and not proven to work. But dont worry because what I'm talking about is done by a lot of drifters with manual transmissions, and its nothing new. Its not specific for auto only style of drifting, but sure makes sense for auto too. I just haven't seen it done in an auto car yet. Auto guys would want to do it because they dont want to shift to use the handbrake. Manual guys do it because they dont want to hold the clutch when they use the handbrake. But please ... no modulating ... hahahah ...
          Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 08-16-2004, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
            auto=easiest to drive on street
            manual=most fun to drive period.

Do you live near a major freeway that suffers from parking lot syndrome? If so, try driving in that, for say, 2 hours a day for a week, then come back here and honestly tell me that "manual=most fun to drive period". If you are not willing to accept that you might possibly be wrong, then just stop posting and live in denial on your own.

Comment

Shut the hell up...We get the point already...

Comment

Hahaha if you dont want to participate in the thread then dont. Nobody is forcing you to read this. Move along now, thanks.

Comment

So basically unless you get stuck in heavy traffic everyday, get a manual. Whats the point in making all these mods to an auto when manuals simpler? I personally hate auto, but i live in the country. I drove my parents auto for like a week once then when i got in a manual i forgot about the clutch, started it in first and hopped into the shed. Not cool.

Comment

Originally posted by insane
                    Here is a hypotheitical way to look at this:

auto=least effot on the street(maybe you commute daily).
                    manual=most effort on the street.
                    yes, this is true but i still choose manual over auto just cuz it's more fun. also i think chemracer just doesn't like automatics.
                    and to the poor guy still looking for auto downshift answer: just floor it, (if you haven't already that is) the sensor will know that you wanna accelerate so it automatcially downshifts. it works for me
                    sorry for the late answer, but i guess the boost just kicked in huh?
                    Last edited by Ripper; 08-17-2004, 04:37 PM.

Comment

ya insane, maybe YOU shouldn't post on this thread since you're not contributing everything.. i still love manual even when stuck in traffic.. gives you something to do other than sit there with a slushbox thinking about the weather. i used to drive manual in traffic all the time but now i have a custom fabricated CVT since it simply outperforms regular transmissions but i definitely prefer manual over automatic at all times

Comment

i aint gonna make a big deal but im still interested to know what CrazyHawaiian is talking about since i am a very experienced racer/drifter and have a very high-tech drift machine (trust me its too easy, my mom could drift it) but i still don't know what hes talking about

Comment

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...ght=huge+lever

DX knows whats up.

Comment

Working...
                          X