D1GP on SPEED TV (Short Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1GP on SPEED TV (Short Review)

Did anyone watch it today. I thought it was a decent show, here are some low and high points from my perspective.

Pros:
    1 hour long
    Got the whole top 16 in 30 mins
    Good D1ish camera angles

Cons:

Commentating was the worst I have heard in a while. It was like the guy didn't get the proper translation of the event. His emotions sound really force, at one point he just yelled out DAMN. And there was too much basic drifting lingo if you could call it.

Terms "line" "speed" and "angle" shouldn't be used that much, especially if you put a "killer" or "crazy" before them every single time. Please get a guy who genuinely likes this sport, I question if this fellow has ever been to a drift event.

The precursor with Americans coming to japan background was a bit too much. 30 minutes of the show was dedicated too that, and throughout the whole thing they kept reflecting back to the American drivers as if they are that relevant. I would like to see much more drifting content in a 1 hour show.

It might seem like I didn't like the show, but honestly it was decent... better then what I thought it would be. Just have to put my dislikes in detail to truly get my point across. I will watch the next episode.

The episode is being replayed right now!

Comment

Yeah I don't get speed in south korea so i'll just have to sit here wait for more reviews

Comment

But you got South Korean girls in South Korea

Eff drifting, do work!

Comment

Watching it on my TiVo... First of all, I'm AMAZED that this show actually aired after all the failures of D1GP here in the US over the past 4 years (abbreviated
          '07 season, canceled '08 season, '09 season that failed to meet expectations for many including no TV show that was previously published, and the failed attempt at a 2010 season).

Visually, the footage and graphics are good quality, but the angles and height of the cameras make it hard to see exactly how close the cars are getting to the clipping points, especially during qualifying when it counts most. The super slow-mo is visually stimulating, but I think it's used as a gimmick, not to explain a point. Again, this is a problem with camera placement.

The voiceover guy just makes the show unwatchable, he's trying WAYYY too hard! At first I thought he sounded a bit like the Iron Chef announcer, but not in a good way. I had to mute him after the first few tandem battles because he was just irritating me. They really need a 2nd announcer to play off of, and the announcer's fake enthusiasm needs to be ditched. The car sounds aren't very well synched to the video, there are times where you can tell that the audio is of a car speeding off, but visually they are slowing down.

I like how much of the footage they used for the first Hubinette montage is from the FD demo in Hollywood... wonder if they got approval for that?

Overally, the quality of the production is good, you can tell that the production team knows how to produce a visually stimulating product, but it's clear that they are trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, not a drifting fan. I'm glad I TiVo'd it so that I could skip through most of it, and I watched most of it on mute.

Comment

what the hell! Why am I finding about this a day late? What kind of promo was this given? When are reruns? I want to see the Tokyo event.

http://www.d1gp.com/latest/speed-and...ix-event-dates
            SPEED broadcast schedule (all time ET; subject to change):

Tokyo Sat, Sep 4 6:30pm
            Oita Sun, Sep 12 6pm
            Fuji Sat, Sep 18 6pm
            Okayama Sun, Sep 26 6pm
            Tokachi Sun, Oct 3 6pm
            Ebisu Sat, Oct 9 5pm
            Ebisu 2 Sun, Oct 17 6pm
            Texas Sat, Oct 23 5pm
            Texas 2 Sun, Oct 31 2pm
            Atlanta Sat, Nov 7 4pm
            Fuji Exhibition Sat, Nov 13 6pm
            Miami Sat, Nov 20 6pm
            Fuji Sun, Dec 5 5pm
            Wrapup Sun, Dec 5 6pm
            Irwindale Sun, Dec 12 6pm

Comment

Loved the footage. Hated the announcer. He's forcing his emotions and the "DAMN" comment was stupid. I think Dan Woods could have done a better job.

Comment

Reruns on the east coast??? Can i watch it on o demand with comcast? Or itunes?

Comment

I caught the 12am re-run last night, so maybe late tonight, unless they run NASCAR Victory Lane very late (big possibility from the looks of it, those cars look mean tonight).

Comment

Originally posted by blaze1 View Post

It might seem like I didn't like the show, but honestly it was decent... better then what I thought it would be.
                    I beleive that you didnt like the show. You think it was decent because you love drifting and saw some of the cars and action that we all love. Imagine if option video or something similar was being aired, then would you like this show? Not trying to start something weird, but this is how I feel.

I think this show needs to be watched in mute like Slapshotnerd said.

Comment

Originally posted by slideways2004 View Post
                      I beleive that you didnt like the show. You think it was decent because you love drifting and saw some of the cars and action that we all love. Imagine if option video or something similar was being aired, then would you like this show? Not trying to start something weird, but this is how I feel.

I think this show needs to be watched in mute like Slapshotnerd said.

Your partially right,

But like I said in another thread, I haven't seen good drifting on TV since like 2007 and minus the commentary and the USvsJP backdrop, I think it came close to that quality.

And seriously, we all love (or loved) Option... but if you took option and threw it on TV with just subtitles would anyone other then us hardcore fans watch it?

Now that's a legit question not a statement, I really do wonder if the broader American audience has enough patience too watch such a production.

Then again America did watch Iron Sheff for many years in all its dubbed glory! Gives me a little hope I guess, but would speed give up a 2 hours time slot for that?

They didn't shove TNA in my face like NOPI, but it also didn't put me to sleep like Rolex series. So yeah, like this show I'm in the middle.

I rather watch a show on mute then not want to watch it at all.

Comment

Reminder

D1 today 3pm pacific 6pm eastern

Comment

Well I'm finally watching it and I have initiated MUTE MODE!!! I think thats the same comentator from monster garage lol

Comment

DAMN!

LOL, this commentator is something else... but as watching the credits, I think he is Japanese. He had a Japanese last name, if he speaks Japanese he should be a shame of himself lol.

As far as this episode goes, another decent one from these guys.

Comment

Awesome footage. The announcer has a super annoying voice but was spot on.

Can some one explain to me why Saito lost?

Comment

Working...
                              X