No announcement yet.

Why on Earth a VIPER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you lock it? Because we have differing opinion on the legality of the VCC? That would be an abuse of mod power.

The bottom line here, is that, it's the 1st year for FD. Things are expected to go wrong. No racing organization ever got the rules, specs down right the first time out.

Now, back to the VCC, even though it's tube framed, it still has a weight disadvantage over the other cars. It's only trump card is it's massive power plant's flat torque curve. The other cars can get close to matching it's peak power, but they don't have the instant response. The GTO does.

Now, also think about this. If the VCC hasn't been winning the competition, woould there be this much objection to the VCC in FD? I would say no...

Think about that one for a bit...

Comment

• IN all honesty I dont have a problem with ANY of the cars that are competing. At least they are competing.

I think most people take offense to the big dollar viper & GTO because 'most' of the cars we see at drift events cost a very small fraction of what those cars do. What would be cool? Seeing cars like my Camaro SS out there. A BIG hp domestic that at best has 7k at best in mods on top of the 20k I bought it for.

Theres always going to be someone with more money than you out there. Doesnt mean your skills, or your determination isnt enough to beat them. Look at the Gush! The kid doesnt even drive legally on the street. He has no license. But he school'd Millen at Laguna Seca. And did Damn well against Hubinette in Houston this weekend. Im sure his budget is WELL below either of theirs, but the kid can drive! So can most of you. If you start seeing Rhys and Samuel on the top of the list all the time, dont think its just their car. They are pros. Theyve been racing for years. Put em in a s14 give em a few practice laps, and Ill bet theyll still be able to walk away from most. I cant wait to see them up against Japanese d1 drivers soon.

If a d1 driver from Japan came over in his (lets say 50k) s14 and destroyed everyone of you...would you all talk about his car being to good. No. You'd respect him because he has been drifting/racing for years and years and he has mad skills that you all can have after years of practice.

I see no problem with the vipers and GTOs. I just think everyone else needs to step up. Big props to those that have!

Comment

• Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
        Why would you lock it? Because we have differing opinion on the legality of the VCC? That would be an abuse of mod power.
        You guys seemed on the verge of getting into personal insults and it wont be tolerated by me.

Comment

Now, also think about this. If the VCC hasn't been winning the competition, woould there be this much objection to the VCC in FD? I would say no...

Think about that one for a bit...

That would be a good argument except for the fact that one of the longest threads in Drifting.com history was created about the viper long before the viper ever competed or won.

But your right, if the viper slipped into obscurity ending some where near last place in every event you probably wouldnt hear much about it. Just like you dont hear much about anyone back there. But sence its winning, and near the top in every event you will hear about it, same way you hear about all of the guys and cars near the top.

Originally posted by Todd@Tires.com
          If a d1 driver from Japan came over in his (lets say 50k) s14 and destroyed everyone of you...would you all talk about his car being to good. No. You'd respect him because he has been drifting/racing for years and years and he has mad skills that you all can have after years of practice.

I see no problem with the vipers and GTOs. I just think everyone else needs to step up. Big props to those that have!
          Well if his car broke several rules i would have a problem with it, Or if something was radically different about this car in the case of the Viper i would start a thread questioning it.

I can not speak for everyone but thats what i would do.

I hate when people look at this as an American vs Japanese thing. I think rather it has more to do with the Manufacturers pushing the limit. And only Domestic Manufacturers have gotten into it yet. We have to ask our selfs as fans, competitors, Amateurs, Do we want this racing series to become a manufacturer series? or do we want it to still be a grass roots level? you gave props to those who stepped up, there may be a day when no one whos not factory backed cant step up. Thats why i created this thread. And yes i am using a slippery slope arguement, but only because in motorsports there has always been a slippery slope. I use Nascar alot not because i hate nascar but rather because it is the extreme of what im talking about.
          Last edited by nissanguy_24; 06-15-2004, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nissanguy_24
            You guys seemed on the verge of getting into personal insults and it wont be tolerated by me.
            Me? I've always been civil.

Comment

• You should be thankful that Mopar sponsored an american super car. This will bring a much different crowd to the events.

Comment

• Originally posted by iMakeGraves
                You should be thankful that Mopar sponsored an american super car. This will bring a much different crowd to the events.
                I think some of the guys dislike it for that reason..

Heres something guys, off ViperCompetitionCoupe.com

General Information
                Body Style
                Single-seat grand touring competition coupe (not street-legal)
                Dont all Formula D cars have to be street legal? or at least sold street legal... you know smog rules and stuff aside? I know thats a D1 rule.

If so then that is a rule its undeniably breaking.. Which i think is a shame because sticking with a stock viper would of made it less of an issue.

Comment

• Yeah, VCC is as legal as a SR20DET swaped 240SX... so, what about them rules?

Comment

• this has been a really good thread actually...quite informing.

anyway, let's also think about who SANCTIONS the Formula D events!!! It is SCCA!

Keep in mind that the Viper competiion coupe competes in the sports car class of SCCA which basically has the EXACT same rules as Formula D. therefore, why would it be any different?

Comment

Yeah, VCC is as legal as a SR20DET swaped 240SX... so, what about them rules?
                      i dont see a big problem with that? maybe i missed ur point?

however, what about tony angelo's car that is an older mazda RX7 FD with an SR20DET engine...not thats interesting because it is mixing Nissan and Mazda together. ???

Comment

• SR20DET swapped 240SX aren't street legal. Engine was never certified for North American market usage.

That vehicle certainly violates FD's rules. So does the SR swapped FC.

So, why the big focus on the VCC, like it's the only one violating established rules.

That was the point.

Comment

Yeah, VCC is as legal as a SR20DET swaped 240SX... so, what about them rules?
                          In some parts of the country thats perfectly legal, The viper isnt legal anywhere. They dont enforce smog and engine swap rules because it would give an unfair advantage to those from states with lenant standards, and a huge advantage to japanese racers who bring there car out.

The simple fact is the cars need to be street legal and registered, I can get my sr20 swapped S13 registered and wont even break the law in some states. You cant register a Viper Competition Coupe, Nor can you drive it on the road.

Comment

SR20DET swapped 240SX aren't street legal. Engine was never certified for North American market usage.

That vehicle certainly violates FD's rules. So does the SR swapped FC.

So, why the big focus on the VCC, like it's the only one violating established rules.

That was the point.
                            I see your point but i dont think its relavent.

Comment

In some parts of the country thats perfectly legal, The viper isnt legal anywhere. They dont enforce smog and engine swap rules because it would give an unfair advantage to those from states with lenant standards, and a huge advantage to japanese racers who bring there car out.

The simple fact is the cars need to be street legal and registered, I can get my sr20 swapped S13 registered and wont even break the law in some states. You cant register a Viper Competition Coupe, Nor can you drive it on the road.
                              Actually, you are misinformed on that aspect. Having a SR20DET and using it on public streets, you have already violated major federal laws. EPA, if they choose to crack down, can place very heavy fines for such violation.

Please read up on Federal emission laws.

That makes the VCC as street legal as a swaped 240SX. That's why it's relavent.

IMO, those that think it's irrelavent have an axe to pick against domestic manufacturer getting into drifting... Need to have an honest assessments of how things really are.

Comment

I see your point but i dont think its relavent.
                                Why not? Is that based on a biased opinion or fair opinion? Think about it...

Comment

Working...
                                X