No announcement yet.

The Last Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your sigs a contradiction,"quality over quantity" .I see plenty of these "tuner"/"import" films being released,but find it pretty damn near impossible to name one with quality,especially those with Rob Cohen involved.His lame,over-the-top,computer generated scenes more fake then Jenna Jamesons breast are weak,degrading,and just plain awful.It's what you can come to expect from Rob Cohen.Tell me how this film is any different.As long as Rob Cohen has his say in the film,it will more than likely be a GTO drifting FnF style movie.I just see another movie worthy of wiping my *Censored**Censored**Censored* with here,unless you can prove me wrong.But like previously mentioned,with Rob involved,it's going to be near impossible to make something of quality that's actually real to the touch,and isn't over exaggerated.

Comment

someone has some mad drawing skill...

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
        Your sigs a contradiction,"quality over quantity" .I see plenty of these "tuner"/"import" films being released,but find it pretty damn near impossible to name one with quality,especially those with Rob Cohen involved.His lame,over-the-.........
        hmm. my sig is a fixed thing no matter what i post, related or not.

yes. there are loads of import/tuner rip-offs everywhere, as it is the nature of the entertainment industry to target an area for ticket sales. every genre has it's slew of look-a-like, rip-a-like movies.

rob cohen, eventhough you dislike him, put the tuning culture mainstream with his fast & furious movie. then the rip-offs followed. his film even drove market values for used supras off the map.

it's too bad you're so hostile. fyi, most all scenes you speak of are shot live-action. and you can always not watch his next movie.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfromda909
          someone has some mad drawing skill...
          thank you, sir, you may have another --
          Attached Files

Comment

woo... thats a beauty...
            thank you sir may i have another?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfromda909
              woo... thats a beauty...
              thank you sir may i have another?
              yes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by visual homage
                hmm. my sig is a fixed thing no matter what i post, related or not.

yes. there are loads of import/tuner rip-offs everywhere, as it is the nature of the entertainment industry to target an area for ticket sales. every genre has it's slew of look-a-like, rip-a-like movies.

rob cohen, eventhough you dislike him, put the tuning culture mainstream with his fast & furious movie. then the rip-offs followed. his film even drove market values for used supras off the map.

it's too bad you're so hostile. fyi, most all scenes you speak of are shot live-action. and you can always not watch his next movie.

I understand what you're saying but I also see Feint's point. Whether or not he put the tuning culture mainstream, where's the the integrity in driving up market values for used supras, getting kids to kill themselves because of what they see in a movie (effectively making harsher laws that benefit no one), and now a made for tv movie that as you say is an info-mercial for drifitng? There's nothing I can do to stop the entertainment industry from putting out bull$hit. The entertainment industry is bull$hit because nonsensical crap happens to be entertaining to a point. I'm not trying to attack you at all, simply trying to add to Feint's post. There's no doubt in my mind Rob Cohen is working on a Drift Fast Drift Furious movie (btw, if that's not the title that I will require royalties if you decide to use it) but think of the repercussions of the movie, and dont try to divert responsibility when angry drifters pay mr Cohen a visit on his way to work. I dont want to see drifting turn into what FnF did. It's my responsibility to see to it that Drifting doesn't turn into Fast and the Furious. I dont want my spots burned out, I'm too much of a poor college student to take my car to every track day that comes up, so I make do with what I have. Just open your mind up to what we're saying, we're who you're trying to market these films to after all

edit: nice story boards btw
                Last edited by Weapon X; 04-25-2004, 03:53 PM.

Comment

what happenes next?? what happens next!??! oh the humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon X
                    I understand what you're saying but I also see Feint's point. Whether or not he put the tuning culture mainstream, where's the the integrity in driving up market values for used supras, getting kids to kill themselves because of what they see in a movie (effectively making harsher laws that benefit no one)........
                    you have valid points. absolutely.

there is a phenomenon that happens when an underground or non-mainstream culture gets the attention, finally, of hollywood. or corporate america. or whatever you want to call it. it is the mainstreaming of a sub-culture. and it is all in the name of money. whether drifting sticks as a mainstay and grows larger, like, for example, stock car racing (which i think is redneck, but is a huge mainstay and has become extremely "gentrified"), has yet to be seen. the fact that GM is on board to at least test the waters is at once a promising event and, perhaps, a coffin nail.

Comment

the last ride is more of an infomercial for the GTO than it is for drifting. but there is definitely the overtones of drifting/illegal street racing in the film, as that is the "new hip thing"(eventhough it is not really new). and GM has created the GTO, among other cars of late, in response to this culture. mind you, the GTO is a heavy car, not comparable to the S13 or S14 or AE36 or Supra, but it was at the D1. so that alone is a statement: there is a reason why it was there.

if you feel that drifting will be marred or ruined by mainstreaming it, then you may be correct. but market forces do not sanctify anything but the dollar. to GM, for example, drifting is virgin snow to be walked upon. it will either catch on, or not.

Comment

Pick up and issue of of any "compact import" mag and what do you see? (besides the 8 articles about evos, stis, and skylines. jeez those cars need a rest) A bunch of crap. Actually sport compact car said it best calling the import scene a "booty-*Censored**Censored**Censored* show car movement." People here generaly dont want to see this happen to their sport. (I say "their sport" because I dont drift *yet*, I'm just a fan and I like the people here.) They want to go to drift events or race touge, not see women degraded on a stage, and hear coolio rap. Thats what lame shows like H.I.N. are for.

The "booty-fication" of drifting is inevitable. That doesnt mean we have to like it.

It's a sport real people can do with real cars. It's to bad it wont stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                          His lame,over-the-top,computer generated scenes more fake then Jenna Jamesons breast are weak,degrading,and just plain awful. But like previously mentioned,with Rob involved,it's going to be near impossible to make something of quality that's actually real to the touch,and isn't over exaggerated.
                          Rob Cohen always has pushed the limits with ridiculous action. The only thing I have against the FNF films were how badly the put the domestics down, acting as if they were some dinousaur that can't cut it. I'm definitely gonna watch this one cause for once the domestic gets to kick a$$.

As far as TV vs real life goes, I've watched every car movie there is, from Mad Max to Smokey and the Bandit to Initial D, and there's always some extra over-the-top stuff thrown in to make the plot. 2F2F got it wrong cause the plot sucked, not just due to the cars. You have to have a good plot in order to have a good movie. Plus even if it's a car movie it still has to sell. Being a part-time salesman myself I know exactly how hard companys push these days to move products.

Car guys vs the movies has been around since the 60s. Steve McQueen's LeMans movie was a classic example. Movie studios want a story with racing as the backdrop, whereas car guys want to have all the technical stuff at the forefront with the story behind them. But in order for the movie to make money it has to appeal to a broader audience than just car guys, that's why they turn down the tech stuff a bit and crank up the action on car films.

Still if it's got the new GTO drifting I am definitely gonna watch it. Looks good from the previews I've seen.

Comment

Damn weaponx, im gone for a few days and you become the ultimate debater.

He pretty much said what i felt about it. What with drifting becoming the next 'In thing' after all, drifting means pumping up the rap and dancing all night in a abandoned wearhouse...

Thats the kind of image we dont want put on us. Theres no point argueing about it really because the media and hollywood will paint whatever image they want on us to sale tickets and commercal spots.

In reality drifting is just about the cars, about performance, and about control. thats why if you look around this site you see so many different kinds of people. From older guys to kids who cant even drive. From hardcore japanese car fans to diehard muscle car fans. Guys who like light weight and nimble to guys who like big and brute force. and there not all oppisits alot of it is mixed up. Asked the people on this forum what music they listen to. You will get everything from techno to rap to Classic rock and country. There really is no one "drift scene" because drifting isnt bound by something so silly.

Anyways they are good sketches. I wonder where all this falls under the do not promote illegal activity rule?

Comment

if people would not go see the movies or shows about import culture stuff. the movies would stop and hopfully all the good cars prices would go downand people who where trying to follow the import culture cuz it was the in thing would not be a problem.

Comment

this part was cut from the film
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X