No announcement yet.

Good Drift Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im with crazy hawaiian on this.. I started in an auto not because i was lazy but because its what i had. I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of learning with an automatic in another post.

As for supercharger vs turbocharger vs NA, a good car guy should know the benifits of all options and pick a power adder (or not) based on his goals, knowing its strengths and weaknesses. Then again im also the guy who thinks you should whip out the compressor maps and calculator to size a turbo, not brose the net for a kit that promises power around what your looking for.

Anyways turbo vs supercharger is a good debate, a better debate would be, whats better for drifting. Or what is easier to control in a drift car. But it would be mostly theory because very few drift SCed cars. A good discussion but it belongs in another thread.

as for the MR2s being good at downhill drifting, I never heard this, but the other day (before reading this artical) i was thinking this. simply because putting it on a downhill slope will shift weight forward averaging out the rear biased cars. But thats just theory. But no one can doubt the mr2, especialy the small AW11 wouldnt e a hell of a moutain road car. give it some decent power and sticky tires.

And as for tires? i think i know what the subject of my next drifting 101 thread is going to be on... Newbie tire choice. But i sugest cheap, until your good enough to know why you want a certain tire.

Oh yeah and the s2k engine.. especialy the 2.2 liter. great engine in any NA inline 4 car.. if the 240sx had one of them it would be a cool NA drift car..

Anyways when it comes to drift cars you want to look for balance, rwd, you will want to add a LSD (stock LSDS are usualy worn out and/or suck) probably a decent power to weight ratio nothing big. But basicly drift what you want and have fun with it.

Also.. i say drift what you want. But may i advise newbies who are looking for a drift car to learn in advoid the trucks ? let the guys with experience modify a tacoma or something to drift. You new guys just work on getting the rear out and countersteering. A "good" drift vehichle in my opinion would be one thats forgivign to learn on. Once you get good you can look at most cars as 'drift' vehichles. (trucks too if you know what your doing) but i dont like the idea of telling new kids who come on here to see what kind of car they should buy to learn, that trucks are a good idea. If they already have a tacoma and want to give it a try, then go for it. However i dont want them rushing out to buy tacoma pickups or hell a fullsized pickup because they read it was a good drift vehichle.
    Last edited by nissanguy_24; 05-24-2004, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RallyGT
      How many times does this have to be said.....
      Its not the CAR its the DRIVER!
      AGREED!! use any car that you want to for drifting! just because i made mine a RPS13, doesnt mean its everyones answer. in fact, in a bout a year or so im going to trade it in for an S14 Silvia, cause i know that it isnt the ultimate, and i want to try other options! just go out and slide whatever it is you drive, and upgrade if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverGhost
        AGREED!! use any car that you want to for drifting!
        A good car in the hands of a good driver is a great combination! Having the right car with the right setup can really help a driver maximize their skills and realize their potential.

I'm a decent RWD drifter but am a much better AWD drifter. With the right car under my feet it is much easier to make the car do what I want it to.

To me the best drift car is one that is predictable - it will do what you think it will when you think it will and will respond to your inputs the way you want it to. Often when people switch platforms they find that certian chassis will have benefits where others have weaknesses and vice versa. If you started out drifting a Miata, driving an S13 will give you more stability but a little less precission, driving an FC will grant you smoother power but maybe not the same consistency in the suspension or whatever...

The Corolla is "A car that trains the driver" because it's fairly well-balanced. Sure it lacks power, but it can help the driver recognize where they need the car to assist them.

-MR

Comment

yeah, any car can drift....so dont tell people what is good and whats not...your just listing common cars people use

Comment

i agree with that any car can drift, thats why i plan to use something a little more unusual a 300zx or Fiero, if anyone has any good links that can help on my way to drifting either of those please send them

Comment

you don't need a freaking manual to drift jacka$$

Comment

i want an SC300 or an SVX

Comment

OKOKOK, How many of you have cars, or licenses for that matter?

I don't care if you're drifting, or oval racing, it is the driver. I run circles (literally ) Around red-top Silvias all day in my Miata. Oh wait, you didn't mention the Miata, so i must be doing something wrong?

Comment

Roger that all about the driver.

Comment

In the words of Lil John.....YEEEAAHHHH!

Comment

Originally posted by DriftinCressida
                        you don't need a freaking manual to drift jacka$$
                        "you viloted a forum rule just now ( jacka$$ ) we censor such words because we dont want them on the forum. Your 'clever' way to get around them is not apreciated. Consider this a warning".

you're bound to hear this soon from that nissanguy_24.......
                        so follow the guidelines hahahah
                        but yeah if you only have an automatic to drift its all good because you have to use what you got
                        Last edited by DrifterN; 05-25-2004, 03:07 PM.

Comment

this list was very informative thank you very much you have helped me on my way to become the next takumi!

Comment

Originally posted by DrifterN
                            "you viloted a forum rule just now ( jacka$$ ) we censor such words because we dont want them on the forum. Your 'clever' way to get around them is not apreciated. Consider this a warning".

you're bound to hear this soon from that nissanguy_24.......
                            so follow the guidelines hahahah
                            but yeah if you only have an automatic to drift its all good because you have to use what you got
                            some one is shooting for my job... But yeah what he said! we all know its easy to fool the censor.. but its not a random series of letters that we dont want on the forum its the meaning behind said letters. So take it easy and have fun..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                              OKOKOK, How many of you have cars, or licenses for that matter?
                              i do! i will post pics and vids of me and my car when my swap is done.....

just out of curiosity, how many of you guys here use an automatic transmission?

Comment

I used to run an auto.. though when my engine im replacing the transmission to, going to a manual of course.

Auto guys dont let anyone tell you that you cant drift it, and dont let anyone tell you that you HAVE to use to handbrake.

Comment

Working...
                                X