Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Good Drift Cars

Originally posted by kuroi
    actualy out of the cars you listed the FCs and FDs have the best weight balance 50/50 and you left out the miata 50/50.
    actually the miata is the only one with 50/50 weight dist. The FC actually has 51/49. i dont know about the FD exactly, but its not 50/50.

Comment

"Its not the CAR its the DRIVER!"

I second that.....though some cars make learning a lot easier.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Good Drift Cars

Originally posted by lady_drift86
        actually the miata is the only one with 50/50 weight dist. The FC actually has 51/49. i dont know about the FD exactly, but its not 50/50.
        You have to understand that these numbers are so close it changes depending on how far back the seat is, and how heavy the driver is.

So basicly for all intents and purposes they have the same distribution.

The S13 having alittle worse for example. But still good.

Comment

I dont really think PERFECT weight balance has that great of an effect on a beginnner.

Comment

Well, you are assuming that everything else is taken out of the equation. I mean, we are getting pretty picky when we are just dealing with a list of some decent cars to drift with. Not competition and going down the the last bit of info. If someone is dealing with a bone stock car, there is so much to deal with already rather than perfect weight distribution
            IE:
            Getting tower bracesL To take the frame out of the equation
            Getting a racing seat: To take you out of the equation.

We are kinda going off topic again and arguing about the BEST drift car ,rather than what are GOOD drift cars. Best is an argument nobody is going to win. Apex (hint hint) JK

Comment

My 944 is 50/50... but if you fill the gastank you have to fill the rad and wiper resivoir or it will become a horribly uncontrollable 49/51! Who can drive with numbers like that?! If you care about those kind of details you really need some sort of hobby... or a cat, or anything. Too much time thinking about your weight distribution will have you becoming automotively belemic!

Comment

LMAO....how can you go in a straight line with a set up like that?!?

Comment

You think it's hilarious, and yet it's a highly enviable weight distribution when it comes to grip cars. Hell, the Cadillac CTS-V race car in the SCCA Pro Touring Racing is now restricted to a 51/49 (or 49/51) weight distribution due to being too good. A good driver can make the most of a 50/50 distribution. I know I can tell the difference in my car's balance with the rear seats in and out. Same with the spare in and out. That's why my S13 will be 50f/50r and hopefully 50l/50r crossweighted also. That said, some cars respond well to weird distributions... there's this one blue AE86 GT-S that competes in SCCA SoloII and won a couple years ago running a 60f/40r distribution. It could pull around 1.0g... but I don't know how good it'd be on a race course.

Motorsports is a hobby. I enjoy it immensely.

In reality, S13s and S14s make great drift cars; same for AE86s. When drifting, such a great distribution is not necessarily essential for good drifting. Skill and technique are essential for good drifting.

Comment

A Cadillac CTS and an AE86 are very different though.

AE86 weighs 2112lb in stock guise CTSV 3833lb in stock guise. Now even if you stipped all the garbage out of both for drifting... (few would drift a fully loaded Caddy anyhow...) your still looking at a spread of 1500lbs... So this is a pointless post but illustrates that weight distribution is relitave...

Doing the math with 50/50 the Caddy is 1916.5LB/1916.5LB the AE86 1056LB/1056LB. From this we can see that 49/51 in the Caddy is 1878LB/1954LB thats a spread of 76LB! Thats 3 Car batteries you just relocated from the front of the Car to the REAR! Same math applied to AE86 gives us 1034/1077 43lb spread. Okay, So its not a huge difference... or maybe to some ,who take off their socks and wear no undies while drifting, it is. All Im trying to illustrate is that in a car like the Caddilac the 49/51 is going to make a bigger difference then in the AE86... or maybe its vise versa due to the lower amount of weight your pushing sideways... hmmm, maybe it does even out... we'll just a thought. Sorry I can't refund the minute of your life you spent reading this garbage...

Comment

Ah, but to physics, the weight of the car is irrelevant to distribution. The fact that one percent of the Cadillac's weight is roughly 1.81 times that of the AE86 only means it is heavier, not necessarily different.

What truly makes the distribution's effect on each car different is how it affects handling. The CTS-V is stiffer, has more power, and has a different suspension design, thus a theoretical 55/45 weight distribution would have a different effect on its handling. (Most likely leading to corner entry and mid-corner understeer transitioning into corner exit oversteer due to the front tires having too much weight on them and the rears having too little.)

Comment

Exactly! And that's Why I ended off calling my own post garbage!

Comment

id say
                          1. rwd
                          2. lots of avalable aftermarket performance parts (it will make it that much easier to build your car as you progress)
                          3. decent power

as for important parts
                          1. suspension & foot work
                          2. lsd
                          3. bucket seat and/or harness
                          4. tires

Comment

weight distribution

the FD actually have perfect 50/50 weight dis.

it was in the Bestmotoring video called the "350Z Shock"

Comment

Over here in Ireland there a couple of common cars being used in the drift series ..

E30 325 Sport
                              E36 M3
                              AE86
                              S13
                              R32/R33 GTS

Comment

to GRiDRaceTech, what is random posting?

Comment

Working...
                                X